Any advice on an avr....Pioneer or Yamaha

GATHER_78

Im upgrading from a Sony STR-DH710. I will be buying my new avr from future shop canada. My choice is down to a couple of Pioneers and a couple of Yamahas. Any info or opinions would be appreciated. My main use is music, but my main problem with my current avr, other than lack of power is, a crappy video card. Certain games, listening to music via PS3, and movies will cut out for a few seconds (3 seconds of a black screen during an online boxing match isnt fun). I didnt have this problem with my non hdmi yamaha avr (hdmi from the ps3 to tv, digital optical from ps3 to avr. I played the exact same games and music files and didnt have this issue. Anyone with some knowledge in this area would be helpful. Also I would like to know how a 7.1 avr would act with my 82s and 62s in 5ch music versus biamping them. Im not really concerned about using my center speaker in 5ch I would probally turrn it right down to protect it, it would be useless at the level I turn the towers up and Im not interested in upgrading, for years if at all. Im more interested in how the amp would act towards all four towers.

Your AVR should work fine, either with 7 channels driven, or with fewer.

I'm been using a Yamaha RX-V750 for seven years, in 5.1, in 7.1, and now as part of a 6.1 system. I'm using a pair of Yamaha MX-D1 power amps for the main speakers, so I'm just using the pre outs for those two channels, and not using the AVR's power amp for them.

The AVR's power amp is driving just four speakers now, the centre, the two surrounds, and the rear surround.

It all works well and sounds great.

Which Yamaha and Pioneer avr's are you looking at? The quality can vary widely from the top to the bottom in avr's. What size room do you have? You should not need to switch off the center speaker if the center fits your set of speakers and the avr is setup correctly.

• Moderators

FWIW, I'm not sure about the specific model you are considering but my previous Yamaha RX-V1800 (retailed for $1200) was rated at 130 x 7. Third Party bench tests proved that it was around 130 x 2, 110 x 3, 90 x 5 and a sad 55 x 7. If you choose to have it power 7 speakers, you will find you will really have to crank it up to get the same volume. I found that out from personal experience with RF-83's, RC-64, RS-52's and RB-35's. It was a huge noticable difference in decreased volume and dynamics when I added the RB-35's to the mix.

FWIW, I'm not sure about the specific model you are considering but my previous Yamaha RX-V1800 (retailed for $1200) was rated at 130 x 7. Third Party bench tests proved that it was around 130 x 2, 110 x 3, 90 x 5 and a sad 55 x 7. If you choose to have it power 7 speakers, you will find you will really have to crank it up to get the same volume. I found that out from personal experience with RF-83's, RC-64, RS-52's and RB-35's. It was a huge noticable difference in decreased volume and dynamics when I added the RB-35's to the mix.

WOW thats a huge dip in watts when all 7 channels are driven.

• Moderators

Yeah, I was TOTALLY shocked that Yamaha could post claims on their website and even in the manual that it was 130 watts x 7 (RMS).

I believe this was the article showing their benchtests.

Output at clipping (1 kHz into 8/4 ohms)
1 channel driven: 158/281 W (22/24.5 dBW)*
5 channels driven (8 ohms): 103 W (20.1 dBW)
7 channels driven (8 ohms): 55 W (17.4 dBW)

That just seems crazy for a mid-level receiver that cost $1200 new.

Hey there,

I've had a lot of hands on experience with both the Yamaha 671 and the pioneer 921 as at my place of work we sell them:) I've only heard them on Klipsch f-30s but the difference was chalk and cheese. To me the pioneer sounded much more musical and had a warmer sound then the Yamaha. As in regards to movies, I also found the pioneer to be much more detailed when under a lot of pressure.

One man's coffee is another man's tea, but hopefully this helps you a little:)

Just go to there websites, and find the receiver your looking at, and it should tell you under the specs. Im almost positive the Yamaha does, but the model numbers below the 5 series dont have discrete amplification, and there not as good.

It was the yamaha rxv 671b. The Pioneers were vsx 1026k an Pioneer vsx 926k. Anyone have any input on which avr will output the watts it claims.
If anyone had any knowledge on the video cards or processors would be greatly appreciated.

I wonder if the Pioneer model numbers are rebadged XXX2K models (e.g. The 1026K might be a 1022K) so that Futureshop doesn't compete with boutique stores. $319 to $385 in the US versus $499 to $599 in Canada; the price difference would not surprise me. I always buy receivers in the US.

Yeah, I was TOTALLY shocked that Yamaha could post claims on their website and even in the manual that it was 130 watts x 7 (RMS).

I believe this was the article showing their benchtests.

Output at clipping (1 kHz into 8/4 ohms)

1 channel driven: 158/281 W (22/24.5 dBW)*

5 channels driven (8 ohms): 103 W (20.1 dBW)

7 channels driven (8 ohms): 55 W (17.4 dBW)

That just seems crazy for a mid-level receiver that cost $1200 new.

The government specifies the way power is rated for 2-channel receivers, since back in the '70s there were a lot of dubious claims ("peak music power", and other misleading specs), but there don't appear to be similar rules for multi-channel receivers.

Most of the AVRs use the "watts into 2 channels = same watts into 7 channels" misleading specs, regardless of brand. A lot of the buyers make their choices based on manufacturers' published specs, rather than reviews and actually listening, so nearly all the companies rate their AVRs like this now. Don't single out Yamaha for doing what most mid-fi companies do.