Any advice on an avr....Pioneer or Yamaha

GATHER_78

Any reason why these are the only 2 brands you are considering? I've heard nothing but good things about Denon and Onkyo as well.

Nothing but good things?? You should get out more.[;)] They are about as good as other mass mrkt avrs for HT, just kiddin' ya.

Don't single out Yamaha for doing what most mid-fi companies do.

Correct, I definitely believe this is not just with Yamaha but with most receiver manufacturers.

Nothing has changed since the 70's. A receiver has one power supply and does everything except wash the car. I say bring back the Pre Amp, the Power Amp, the Tuner. My solution is to use and Ashly NE8800 as the preamp. I don't need a Tuner as I can use the internet for radio.

My Yamaha Power Amp has 2 power supplies one for each channel. It delivers.... and it's as old as that monkey eating fruit at the zoo.[:o]

Ha , I don't think that monkey was that old.

I bought it around 1981, lol, so it's your age, it's single ended class A on one side of the speaker and class A/B on the other side. The Class A controls the Class A/B, very complicated, but the sound is "invisible clarity" when compared to many other reasonable top shelf amps of the day. It cost me $3,000.00 back then and the pre amp is the C2a $2,500.00 the model before CD's came out. The C2x had 1 phono input removed and replaced with a CD input.

• Moderators

I thought this one looked good, not your normal brand but the reviews are really good and it has a much better auto setup than any other. $600 and a 3 year warranty. Sherwood R 972, it would be my next choice.

Have a Yamaha RX-V730 now and like it but I think this would have a much better sound, and HDMI which I don't have now.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/SHERR972/SHERWOOD-R-972-Newcastle-7.1-A/V-Surround-Receiver-TrueHD-DTS-HD/1.html

I bought it around 1981, lol, so it's your age, it's single ended class A on one side of the speaker and class A/B on the other side. The Class A controls the Class A/B, very complicated, but the sound is "invisible clarity" when compared to many other reasonable top shelf amps of the day. It cost me $3,000.00 back then and the pre amp is the C2a $2,500.00 the model before CD's came out. The C2x had 1 phono input removed and replaced with a CD input.

Heh, I thought you were talking about the monkey, not me. I guess I didn't realize my bday was on this site.

Heh, I thought you were talking about the monkey, not me. I guess I didn't realize my bday was on this site.

You mentioned your age somewhere, lol.

I don't know the exact models you are looking at but I do have experience with both brands..

My currently AVR is a Pioneer Elite and I am very happy with it. It's about ten years old and has worked perfectly from day one. It replaced a four year old top of the line Yamaha. The Yamaha also worked without any problems.

Sonically, I found the Yamaha fatiguing over time. The tonality was thin to my ears. The Pioneer is much warmer and smoother although it does not capture every detail. Build wise, both are solid but the Pioneer is an absolute beast..

Both are good products but for me the Pioneer wins hands down due to its smoothness and rock solid build. Someone else might prefer the Yamaha.

Hope this helps.

Sonically, I found the Yamaha fatiguing over time. The tonality was thin to my ears.

Did your Yamaha have an impedance switch, and did you have it set in a position other than 8 ohms? If you did, the sound would be thin and lacking in bass. I was quite disappointed with the sound of my Yamaha AVR until I learned about that. The sound was much better once I set the switch to 8 oms, and it's been there ever since.

You can Google "Yamaha impedance switch" and read lots about it.

Nothing has changed since the 70's. A receiver has one power supply and does everything except wash the car. I say bring back the Pre Amp, the Power Amp, the Tuner. My solution is to use and Ashly NE8800 as the preamp. I don't need a Tuner as I can use the internet for radio.

My Yamaha Power Amp has 2 power supplies one for each channel. It delivers.... and it's as old as that monkey eating fruit at the zoo.Surprise

Actually, most stereo power amps have only one power supply for both channels. When a power amp has two power supplies, and two of most of the electronics, it's a "dual-mono" amp, basically two mono amps in a single housing.

That not only improves the headroom, it really drops the crosstalk between channels.

Dual-mono amps are more expensive to build and sell than stereo amps, but they're definitely the better way to go. They're also a bit less expensive than a pair of mono amps, also known as monoblocks.

^^^Nobody can resist the hypnotic stare of the monkey.

Sonically, I found the Yamaha fatiguing over time. The tonality was thin to my ears.

Did your Yamaha have an impedance switch, and did you have it set in a position other than 8 ohms? If you did, the sound would be thin and lacking in bass. I was quite disappointed with the sound of my Yamaha AVR until I learned about that. The sound was much better once I set the switch to 8 oms, and it's been there ever since.

You can Google "Yamaha impedance switch" and read lots about it.

Is it just me, or does Onkyo only have 4 and 6 ohm options...?