Klipsch and McIntosh

daemon47

VERY GOOD!

I have seen a few people with tube amps (McIntosh) and klipsch, it is a sweet sight.

Someone else should have real info soon.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Daemon

With a name like that, You must be a UNIX guy???

Nothing like spawning off a new process!!!!

Could not resist - Sorry.

Mac and Klipsch is a great combination. Have been a Mac and Klipsch guy for the last 10 years.

KenRat is right - The tube amps are excelent matches for Heritage Speakers. The McIntosh Transitor amps are, IMHO, the closest sounding transistor amps to Tube amps.

They have a steeper pricetag, but retain there value much better than any other Amp. For example at 30W tube amp made in 1962 originally cost $150, today sells regularly for $400+ A $1600 Transistor Amp that sold in the mid 80's sells today for $2500 and so on.

I have another UNIX joke.... rm -RF /bin/laden

JM

I'm using a C33 SS preamp with some KLF-20's. I do have hopes of acquiring an MC-202 SS Mac amp; it'll probably run a little over $2,100 for a nice used one. Yes it's overkill but just betting on it being the last amp I ever get. That C33 even made my cheap factory car stereo in an 8-year-old Talon sound respectable. It also makes me give new respect to the Yamaha K-1020 cassette deck that resides in the cabinet as well.

The Carver setup I was using before (and before I realized it) just made things sound too brash in the midrange and treble with not nearly the bass extension. As soon as the money becomes available I'll retire the current, one year-old, Rotel RB-1080 to my study for a second system.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 05-28-2002 at 08:33 PM

Mike....If your looking for a Mac MC-2002 theres one on ebay right now. I don't know if that's the exact model you were looking at or not.

------------------

2 Channel System:

Klipsch Epic CF-2s

McIntosh C-15 Preamplifier

Adcom GFA 5500 Amplifier

Music Hall MMF-5 Table

Adcom GCD 700 CD

Adcom ACE-515 AC Enhancer

Transparent Audio Cabless>

Daemon,

Ran my vintage Cornwall "II's" with a MC-2105 ... lovely amp and sound ... very much like tubes. Then I heard them with a SET tube amp, and it was magic. Almost like the soundstage "came alive".

I had the 2105 driving the CW's, and an MC-30 driving the center, but it all came down to "how good was the pre-amp", so I'd take heed with the thread above; spend money on a good McIntosh pre-, then work on the amp. A good tube amp w/o a good pre- is wasted money. After all, an amp just amplifies what's coming out of the pre-amp.

Good luck. "May the Schwartz be with you"

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

AES AE-25 "Superamp" (in temporary retirement)

AES AE-3 Pre-amp (in temporary retirement)

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

I've been listening to McIntosh and Klipsch for most of my life. I grew up listening to my Dad's mono system in the late 50's/early 60's, a McIntosh MC60 with a C8 preamp and one Klipschorn.

In my college years I started buying,fixing and selling/trading American tube gear and speakers for fun and extra $$. I don't know if it's becasue it was imprinted on me at such a young age, but I too fell into the McIntosh/Klipsch groove and have never really strayed all that much (but I do appreciate and love other speakers and electronics--old Quad and Tannoy and Marantz stuff especially).

Right now I've got a pair of MC-30's, a C-22 preamp, a MR-71 tuner and my old '64 "vertical" Cornwalls. It still sounds like magic to me after all these years and all that other stuff I've owned and enjoyed. I especially like the MC-30s and I think they represent a TERRIFIC bargain even today. You can get a decent pair for 6 or 7 hundred bucks and I still think they are the best non-commercial amp McIntosh ever made.

Stuff them with NOS GEC KT-66 outputs and U-52 rectifiers and Mullard/Telefunken/RCA 12ax7/12au7/12bh7 and you're ready to roll for the next 20 years (BEWARE! nowadays these tubes will cost you MORE than the amps!) But MACs are easier on tubes than anything.

Mac tube preamps are just the opposite of what today's "audiophiles" want or need--they are PACKED with features! Tone controls, mono-switch, filters,

a KLLLER phono section, etc. I love the flexibility these units offer--and they sound GREAT too!

The bargain of bargains in MAC preamps is the MX-110 preamp/FM tuner. It's like a C-11 pre and a MR-67 tuner all rolled into one. I've owned a few of these and they're terrific. Steve Hoffman of "DCC" fame used one in his main system throughout most of the late 80's and early 90's. You can pick one up for less than $500, which is DIRT CHEAP for what it is!

So, a pair of MC-30s and an MX-100 might set you back $1500-$2000, and that includes "fixing them up" and re-tubing with good NOS tubes (but not GEC!). And the nice thing about McIntosh is that this stuff is only going up in value--you'll always be able to trade or sell with ease.

Allan, interesting comment on the MX-110.

My uncle's got a MX-113 sitting in his basement, unused. Is it a similar deal, quality wise, on the pre-amp section?

Just curious as to your thoughts on that.

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

AES AE-25 "Superamp" (in temporary retirement)

AES AE-3 Pre-amp (in temporary retirement)

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

daemon

You must like your new setup.

Your obviously too busy rocking out to write us and give us a report of your new investment.

You may want to some fuses on your speakers with that kind of power. I blew out both of my woofers on my Heresys once in the early '80s. Probably a 4 amp fuse would be correct.

Mac's can deliver a lot of power quickly. Enough amperage to Arc Weld... Not that I would suggest doing that.....

Let us know how it goes.... give us a report..

JM

Thought I would let everyone know how great this system is. The sound stage is unbeliveable. I've never heard a home system sound this good. Question.... need advice on a new phono pickup. Thinking about Clearaudio or Shure for my Denon DP-37F. Thanks.

daemon47-

Just about anything from Clearaudio will be more expensive than just about anything from Shure. My god! Clearaudio is making cartridges that run up to ten grand!! I'm using a V15VxMR and it doesn't sound that bad for under $300. It will definitley need some time to break in though. When you first listen to it it will sound soooo bass heavy. But after about thirty hours or so it will calm down to a nice even sound. It sounds better than the twenty-year-old V15V I was using till it finally wore out. Having a better phono stage in the current McIntosh C33 than what is in the Carver Receiver MX-150 (in storage) is also a step up.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

Great pairing! I used a Mac MA6400 integrated for a while with my Khorns...too damn powerful but great dynamic sound! no noise either! I would bet the older tube units will sound absolutely fantastic the 240 perhaps? regards, tony

• 2 weeks later...