h/k 430 reborn thanks to forum networking

Aint this forum populated by the best people?

A member who will, for now, remain anonymous made my old H/K 430 look almost new and perform better than new. He was recommended to me by forum member Rivernuggets. He'd done excellent work on R'nuggets' H/K 730. I'm leaving it to the repair wizard to reveal his identity because I'm not certain he wants to be in the H/K x30 rehab business. Believe me, he's not going to retire on what he charged me. His main avocational interest appears to be tube gear.

Like many on this forum, I've discovered the virtues of the Harman Kardon x30 series of receivers. I believe Andy aka HDBRbuilder was one of the first, if not the first, to sing the praises of the vintage H/K receivers. I've enjoyed a 730 and two 430s (one of which I sold to Marvel).

My remaining 430 dropped a channel and fell into disuse. As mentioned in another thread (http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/160982/1709002.aspx#1709002), I'm refurbishing a pair of Heresy speakers as a graduation gift for our son and to thank him for serving in Afghanistan. I decided to see about getting the 430 brought back to life to be part of the gift.

Through an exchange of emails I shipped the receiver to the member. He immediately diagnosed a small problem and was willing to send it back without a charge. I declined that offer and asked him to replace the antique capacitors. He rebuilt the power supply, replaced the bulbs, and performed sundry other services and sent it back. It's fantastic; my son will be extremely pleased with his H/K 430, Klipsch Heresy system. I'll post some photos of the speakers and the receiver before they head to DC for the GWU graduation

It's worth mentioning that Russ aka Budman was kind enough to provide brass Klipsch badges for the refurbished speakers. The grill fabric and crossover parts were sourced from Bob Crites and the "some .assembly required" Heresy pair was acquired from ClaudeJ1. The forum was instrumental in putting together a system for my son.

Thank You.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Your exactly right about the people here, they always go out of their way to help.

I also agree about the x30 Harmon Kardons, I love the sound, I would cry if mine died, they make the newer receivers sound lifeless imo.

That's a great present for your son, he will enjoy it for years, nice combination and a cool thing to do for him, very nice. [H]

I'm using it every day! I have a second one my younger son is using on a pair of JBLs. The one in the house needs the bulbs replaced, but I've been too lazy to pull it out to get the work done.

Bruce

Once the cover is removed, the "fuse style" bulbs are housed on a circuit board that is held in by (3) screws. With that board out, you can also get the Stereo Indicator bulb too. The Power Light and Dial Indicator require additional disassembly.

I get my bulbs from Mouser and/or http://www.dgwojo.com/ No affiliation, just that Dave is a great guy!

DizRotus, very cool. you are right about this forum. I've met some of the best people I know right here. Congrats on your redeemed 430. Also, when you talk to your son, please pass along the best wishes from the forum and thank him for his service to the country. very cool gift you have in mind for him.

Ok - The "secret" is out. I am the one responsible for restoring both Rivernuggets and DizRotus receivers. Both of these received about the same treatment.

Once I have listened and visually inspected the unit it's off to the bench. I rebuild the power supply including the main filter caps, diodes (or bridge) and resistors if needed. I always replace the main filter caps and only the other parts if needed. In this series of receivers there are also additional filter boards on the underside of the chassis. These boards are given the same treatment. Replace electrolytic caps and other components as needed.

Next it's on to the controls. I only use Deoxit if the controls are really bad. IMHO - deoxit leaves the control sounding clean, but it never feels the same.

After removing the knobs and front panel, I replace all burned out "fuse style" lamps. In the 430, these are 6 volts lamps, I use 8 volt lamps and replace them all. This gives a slightly less bright apperance, but the bulbs last a lot longer. In addition to the backlights, I also replace the meter light, power lamp, stereo indicator and the dial pointer bulb.

Next it's onto the amp section. If there are any signs of the grease drying out on the output transistors, I remove, regrease and replace. All of the electrolytics on the power amp board are replaced. Once this is done, I can set DC offset and bias. If these waver or will not come into spec, I start with the pots and keep going till she works.

Next (and normaly last) is the listening test. If I hear high levels of noise, it goes back on the bench. I start working on the pre-amp section. This takes a bit longer than the other areas due to the disassembly required. Neither unit required much work here.

As an additional, I use Nichion and Panasonic caps in my rebuilds. Typically their TOTL for a given purpose. Sometimes I have to step down a bit due to physical size of the caps. I never use generic caps. I often will use a larger value cap if there is benefit and the diodes (or bridge) can handle the inrush current.

I hope the answers everyone's questions. If someone needs more detail, please let me know.

As has been said before, I do not do this to earn a living. I have been invloved in electronic repair most of my life. Most of my formal training is by way of the United States Navy, where I spent nearly seven years.

I only have about 10 hours a week that I can devote to this hobby. As such, I am willing to perform repair/restoration work on an case by case basis. Hence the initial hesitation in posting this. I split my time between working on other people's gear and my own gear. So, I can probably get about one repair out a month or so. I do prefer the challenge of tube gear too, but those repairs tend to take longer due the varied options in circuits, parts, tubes, etc.. Solid State repair is something that is more straight forward.

Many thanks (I think) to Rivernuggets and DizRotus for encouraging me to post this here.

Dale

• Like 1

Dale,

Thanks for posting this info. I'll probably work on my own, but they won't get the complete works you are giving them. I used to live down the road from you, just outside Waterloo... Columbus is a nice town. [Y]

Bruce

Dale,

Thanks for posting this info. I'll probably work on my own, but they won't get the complete works you are giving them. I used to live down the road from you, just outside Waterloo... Columbus is a nice town. Yes

Bruce

If you need any help finding parts that fit, let me know. Waterloo is a nice town too, great antique stores.

Dale,

Glad you posted. I hate keping a secret.

I'm sending you some Dyna tube gear, but feel free to put a forum member's h/k x30 in line ahead of me. I'm still planning to send the high school's 730 in for a tune-up. I'm also looking for another 730 for myself. When I find one, it'll be headed your way.

The attached photo doesn't do the receiver justice. All the lights work and it sounds great.

When I get to DC, I'll take a video of the receiver playing the Heresy speakers and post a YouTube link.

Thanks,

Hah, let the flood gates open! Devil

Isn't that partly how Craig got started? Now he has to sneak away to go fishing...

The following remark was made with a smile.

Whoa there Nelly! Let's not compare (even in jest) Craig and myself. He knows more about circuit design and component specifications that I could ever hope to know. I believe I do well within the confines of component replacement. I'm smart enough to leave the engineering to more experianced folks. That said, I do have this LK-72 that I would like to convert to a stand alone power amp and then send to Craig for an opinion.

Aint this forum populated by the best people?

A member who will, for now, remain anonymous made my old H/K 430 look almost new and perform better than new. He was recommended to me by forum member Rivernuggets. He'd done excellent work on R'nuggets' H/K 730. I'm leaving it to the repair wizard to reveal his identity because I'm not certain he wants to be in the H/K x30 rehab business. Believe me, he's not going to retire on what he charged me. His main avocational interest appears to be tube gear.

Like many on this forum, I've discovered the virtues of the Harman Kardon x30 series of receivers. I believe Andy aka HDBRbuilder was one of the first, if not the first, to sing the praises of the vintage H/K receivers. I've enjoyed a 730 and two 430s (one of which I sold to Marvel).

My remaining 430 dropped a channel and fell into disuse. As mentioned in another thread (http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/160982/1709002.aspx#1709002), I'm refurbishing a pair of Heresy speakers as a graduation gift for our son and to thank him for serving in Afghanistan. I decided to see about getting the 430 brought back to life to be part of the gift.

Through an exchange of emails I shipped the receiver to the member. He immediately diagnosed a small problem and was willing to send it back without a charge. I declined that offer and asked him to replace the antique capacitors. He rebuilt the power supply, replaced the bulbs, and performed sundry other services and sent it back. It's fantastic; my son will be extremely pleased with his H/K 430, Klipsch Heresy system. I'll post some photos of the speakers and the receiver before they head to DC for the GWU graduation

It's worth mentioning that Russ aka Budman was kind enough to provide brass Klipsch badges for the refurbished speakers. The grill fabric and crossover parts were sourced from Bob Crites and the "some .assembly required" Heresy pair was acquired from ClaudeJ1. The forum was instrumental in putting together a system for my son.

Thank You.

Cool Diz. Can't wait to see the pictures. Never heard any of the HKx30 series but I've transported I think a 430 and 730 (and a puny Yamaha) for a Forum member as I was driving by where they were at and driving by or occasionally visit the owner. They just feel well built. Separate power supply for each channel I think. With current capability. I've always thought a good high current 30 watts that will do 30 or more into not just 8, but 4, and be stable into 2 ohms is better than a 100 wpc into 8 that can't even handle 4 ohms or has less output.

I'm using it ervery day! I have a second one my younger son is using on a pair of JBLs. The one in the house needs the bulbs replaced, but I've been too lazy to pull it out to get the work done.

Bruce

Come on Bruce. Do it yourself. I replaced the fuse type bulbs in my c1978 Radio Shack STA-52 lo fi receiver. Finally died just a few months ago but unused quite a bit in the last few. Better than nothing when other amplifiers out of commission. Of course it's a lot simpler than the HKs. Old school with string to run the tuner. Glad I didn't break that.