WOW... 768Kb/s FLACs are WAY bigger than 320Kb/s VBR MP3s

jhoak

I'm in the process of re-ripping my small (~600) CD collection to FLACs. I'm well under a third of the way through and already the FLAC folder is more than twice the size of the MP3 folder.

A while back I bought the J River Media Center to run on my HTPC with the goal being to have all of my music ripped as "lossless" as possible. I did a listening comparison between EAC's 768K, 896K, and 1024K and could not hear a single bit of difference. 768K was the recommended bit rate for "good" rips so that's what I stayed with

I guess I need to go shopping for a bigger hard drive soon. Looks like I'm going to run out of disc space before I run out of CDs to be ripped. CRUD!!!

My understanding is that when ripping to FLAC with EAC (Exact Copy) the settings for bitrate do nothing. You can't select bitrate for FLAC.

I would say that your ears are working perfectly!

I like the little WD Passport drives... 1 TB around 125 -135 on Amazon. I like that they are so portable and don't require a separate power supply. I suggest keeping at least 2 backups of all your music! I copy to another computer, the external drive, and use an online backup service.

I guess I need to go shopping for a bigger hard drive soon. Looks like I'm going to run out of disc space before I run out of CDs to be ripped. CRUD!!!

The good news is memory just keeps getting cheaper and cheaper. My local Microcenter is advertising a 2TB Western Digital hard drive for just over $100! That would hold a least a couple thousand CDs in FLAC.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/162913.aspx

..sure, you could go buy a single usb 2tb drive for $100, but if (when) it dies you're SOL and will be forced to redo everything. :)

Amen! HDDs have been high for the past months, but are still dirt cheap compared to the data. WAV is the way to go as it remains the only truly universal format. Cheapest way to reasonable security is a RAID drive you store everything on, and a single very large drive for playback that is synchronized to the RAID drive. Failure in either is easily fixable, and failure in both at the same time is highly unlikely.

In my case, I keep my file backed up three deep. I have photos, music and other stuff going back to the late 80's and find such money as must be spent to ensure it survives to be well worth it.

Dave

but if (when) it dies you're SOL and will be forced to redo everything. :)

Been there... Done that... Got the T-Shirt... [:(] It just ain't gonna happen AGAIN.

Right now the main storage drive is a 500GB installed in the HTPC. I have a 500GB USB that all of the music is backed up to AND a 750GB NAS (RAID5 - 3 drives) and the HTPC does scheduled backups to it.

If I was close & had the coin I'd like to have your Terastation.

I have MediaMonkey, and i rip all of my cd's using WAV, there are 1411kbps, there big but they sound great, i would use FLAC, but i cant stand seeing my songs a different bit rates.

[:^)]

Once FLAC is decoded, it is bit-for-bit identical to WAV. It's akin to running a Word file through ZIP to email it to someone; after it's unzip, the same file is recovered. FLAC files are every bit as lossless as WAV but are just smaller in sized.

My 300 or so CDs take up only 104 GB of disk space, so i don't see what the issue is. It's small enough for me to have two separate backups on different disks without worrying about the size.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/162913.aspx

..sure, you could go buy a single usb 2tb drive for $100, but if (when) it dies you're SOL and will be forced to redo everything. :)

Multiple backups are a must for any digital data, otherwise one power surge and you are SOL. My music server has an external HD backup, and a NAS backup (with RAID) as well.