A new love and appreciation for the RF-7's

Youthman

Well, I had some quality time comparing the RF-7's and the RF-83's. Again, my conclusion is they both sound different but unique and great in their own respects. I'm blessed to be able to own both speakers and to be able to appreciate both of their qualities. To my ears, the RF-7's seemed to be more "enveloping". That could have been due to placement. Not sure. There were certain music where the 7's were more detailed and other music that the 83's were more detailed.

I invited a friend over for a second opinion. He preferred the sound of the 83's and said to his ears, the 83's clearly had more detail.

I found the 7's were brighter and the highs were more noticable where the 83's were a little softer on the highs. Midrange seemed to be about the same and both had great bass response.

If I didn't have children, I would keep both pair just like I had them setup and enjoy their beauty and their musicality. Unfortunately, it was back to the "dark place" for the 83's. [:'(]

I’m glad I don’t have your dilemma youth. I can’t even leave my crossover point the same

longer than a few weeks lol. If I had those two speakers to pick from I would

probably just end up keeping whatever speaker was set up when my back finally

went out from moving them all the time.

You have the matching center for the 83s so I think you made

the right choice with that alone. Just never go buy an rc-7 or you will be

breaking your back again lol.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

that would look funny i think.

Yer probably right since klipsch uses the horn tweeter. It could be done, but the dimensions wouldn't make it worth it most likely.

Fwiw, My guess is that the RC-7 design was too tall for most current applications and was designed to sit on top of RPTVs, whereas the RC-64II is not as tall but wider and is designed to go under the monitor in most scenarios.

... I like that at least I can see some of the the beautiful wood finish even with the grills on.

Those are nice looking speakers but I like having the full grill so when the lights are out and the movie is on there is no reflection from my speakers...Of course the pin design of the originals sucks.[:S]

... I like that at least I can see some of the the beautiful wood finish even with the grills on.

Those are nice looking speakers but I like having the full grill so when the lights are out and the movie is on there is no reflection from my speakers...Of course the pin design of the originals sucks.Tongue Tied

I agree with you that they do grow on you with the grills on and show off the gorgeous wood. I really also like having everything naked but as tkd stated, it can be distracting with 10 copper woofers while watching a movie and such. Also for the price, magnetic grills instead of plastic pins should of been a no brainer......oh well I still love mine!

• Moderators

I think Klipsch should make a 8 inch center speaker, the RC-82, so then peaple had a better selection, then a huge gap from the RC-62 to the RC-64.

I agree the fact that there are very few entertainment centers that can handle an RC-7. Mine just happened to be large enough for it.

Here you can see my RF-83's with my previous RC-7. It's a pretty huge speaker (tall wise) due to the 8" drivers.

2596175181_845d92803c_z.jpg?zz=1

I'd love to see a RC-104 Surprise

Ask and you shall receive...Introducing the very first Klipsch RC-104.

It would be VERY unpractical to say the least...

klipsch-rc-104.jpg

Thanks for the second wave comparison, Youth. Makes me appreciate my 7's all the more.

I agree with your thoughts about the UMC-1 making the 7's shine more now than in the first comparison. I think the UMC-1 has a wonderful non-fatiguing sound which works very well with 7's. Can't comment on RF-83s, haven't heard them yet.

Great pictures! Like they're straight out of a brochure.