Need a new receiver

roaddog359

• Moderators

I was kind of looking at the Marantz also, but my first choice would be the Sherwood R-972 at $600, if it's still that price when I'm ready. I would like to try out the Trinnov optimizer.

http://www.noydcom.com/press_release/sherwood/R-972/

Kind of wanted to get away from the standard Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo sound, could be a mistake on my part ?

i really like the features of the Onkyo TX-NR809 but want something different, especially since I use it for a pre-amp for 2-Ch. Wanted something with a good sound for music first, and a good sounding Pre-amp section.

I don't know ? [:S]

I don't know ? Tongue Tied

I'm with you there. So many choices...I'm still thinking about going with the 4311. Even if the Marantz ends up having all the features I want, it'll still be about $300-$400 more. Although in the grand scheme of things that's not that much I guess...but it's not easy to keep convincing the wife on letting me spend all this money on the HT. I had to bribe her with some Louis Viton (sp?) =^P

dtel, willland has always enjoyed NAD for 2ch. have you considered them?

Dtel,

Michael is correct. I love the NAD "sound" with Reference and Heritage. I will eventually go to a NAD HDMI prepro or receiver but for now my NAD T773(2004 flagship) sounds awesome and functions flawlessly. I don't know how much you want to spend but here are a couple of suggestions:

NAD T 785 HD home theater receiver (List $3,999) $2,199 Refurbished

NAD T 785 home theater receiver (List $2,999) $1,399 Refurbished

NAD T 775 HD home theater receiver (List $2,999) $1,599 Refurbished

NAD T 775 HD2 home theater receiver (List $3,000) $1,899 Refurbished

NAD T 775 home theater receiver (List $2,499) $999 Refurbished

NAD T 765 HD2 3D-ready home theater receiver (List $2,500) $1,399 Refurbished

NAD T 765 HD AV receiver (List $2,499) $1,199 Refurbished

NAD T 757 3D-ready AV receiver (List $1,600) $1,099 Refurbished

NAD T 748 3D-ready AV receiver (List $700) $549 Refurbished

NAD T 747 AV receiver (List $1,299) $599 Refurbished

NAD T 737 receiver with HDMI (List $799) $449 New

http://www.spearitsound.com/special.html

The "lower" level NAD receivers don't spec too high on paper but they are "honest". All (except T737) have preouts for external amps.

Bill

dtel, willland has always enjoyed NAD for 2ch. have you considered them?

My original reply is in moderator review.

Here is the abbreviated version of my reply.

Dtel,

Michael is correct, I love the NAD "sound".

I will eventually go to a NAD HDMI receiver or prepro but for now my NAD T773(2004 flagship) sounds fantastic with Reference and Heritage and operates flawlessly. Here is a link to some of NAD's receiver offerings:

http://www.spearitsound.com/special.html

All NAD receivers listed have preouts for external amps except for the T737.

Bill

I was kind of looking at the Marantz also, but my first choice would be the Sherwood R-972 at $600, if it's still that price when I'm ready. I would like to try out the Trinnov optimizer.

http://www.noydcom.com/press_release/sherwood/R-972/

Kind of wanted to get away from the standard Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo sound, could be a mistake on my part ?

i really like the features of the Onkyo TX-NR809 but want something different, especially since I use it for a pre-amp for 2-Ch. Wanted something with a good sound for music first, and a good sounding Pre-amp section.

I don't know ? Tongue Tied

I'm not saying buy anything but......on a 972 discussion the guy had a Denon 4311, as soon as he set up the 972 he decided the Denon was done.It's best not to decide on anything until you've heard everything within reasonable effort.

• Moderators

Dtel,

Michael is correct, I love the NAD "sound".

I will eventually go to a NAD HDMI receiver or prepro but for now my NAD T773(2004 flagship) sounds fantastic with Reference and Heritage and operates flawlessly. Here is a link to some of NAD's receiver offerings:

The Nad looks good, going to add them to the list, thanks I never looked at them.

Part of my problem is if i got a receiver that had s good sound for music and it could also pre-amp for the 2 Ch, at least until I got a separate pre-amp. I have many other projects that are really important so it makes money for this stuff really hard to come by, I really need to add a 20x30 or 30x40 workshop .

I thought about the Emotiva DAC for a preamp and put off the new HT receiver, but then I lose having HDMI and true HD and other codes ( I don't have now) for the bluray player which we have already.

• Moderators

Only thing that I don't like about the 972 is HDMI 1.3. That won't work for me as I plan on getting a 3D TV and utilizing it.

Not really interested in 3D, anyway I would rather run a HDMI directly to the Tv and not go through a receiver with the picture, and just go to the receiver for the sound.

You know it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks, and I'm old. [:(]

• Moderators

I'm not saying buy anything but......on a 972 discussion the guy had a Denon 4311, as soon as he set up the 972 he decided the Denon was done.It's best not to decide on anything until you've heard everything within reasonable effort.

Your right, reading things like that and other reviews is what has me looking at the 972. One thing I did notice about that company is now they seem to have 1 receiver that looks really good and the rest of the line looks really cheap and they are very slow with new models, probably because there a small company ?

Your right, reading things like that and other reviews is what has me looking at the 972. One thing I did notice about that company is now they seem to have 1 receiver that looks really good and the rest of the line looks really cheap and they are very slow with new models, probably because there a small company ?

Even though Sherwood Newcastle and Sherwood are part of the same company, I assure you the Sherwood Newcastle[Y] products are leaps and bounds better than the Sherwood[N] gear that is sold at Wal-Mart and Radio Shack.

Bill

This is copy/pasted from that link in the previous page. The first thing it says is HDMI 1.3. Is their website wrong?

Key Features of the Sherwood Newcastle R-972

HDMI 1.3, capable of 36-bit Deep Color video

Mine says upgraded to 1.4 for what that's worth so their the site is out of date? Still, I'm only confirming it's a great unit: compared to other $1k + avrs and is a quality unit as Bill noted.If I were going to spend over $1k I would look at NAD and the like vs big box mass mrkt as they put sound first.

• Moderators

Even though Sherwood Newcastle and Sherwood are part of the same company, I assure you the Sherwood NewcastleYes products are leaps and bounds better than the SherwoodNo gear that is sold at Wal-Mart and Radio Shack.

Bill

I didn't notice all the cheaper models were just called Sherwood, your right. [Y]

• Moderators

I was looking at this place, they are the cheapest by far which is also not always a good idea ?

LATEST FIRMWARE HDMI 1.4 upgraded 3-D ready! NEW 3 Year Warranty. Includes 2
remotes (1 RF) FREE PBE-180 End Caps

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/SHERR972/SHERWOOD-R-972-Newcastle-7.1-A/V-Surround-Receiver-TrueHD-DTS-HD/1.html

This is copy/pasted from that link in the previous page. The first thing it says is HDMI 1.3. Is their website wrong?

Mine says upgraded to 1.4 for what that's worth so their the site is out of date? Still, I'm only confirming it's a great unit: compared to other $1k + avrs and is a quality unit as Bill noted.If I were going to spend over $1k I would look at NAD and the like vs big box mass mrkt as they put sound first.

I gotcha. That's cool they upgraded it like that. I ended up going with the 4311. Hopefully it'll ship soon and I can get it up and running.

I was looking at this place, they are the cheapest by far which is also not always a good idea ?

Dtel,

A4Less is a well established electronics seller here in Orlando(Apopka). They are factory authorized sellers of Marantz, Onkyo, Denon, Cambridge Audio, Sherwood Newcastle, just to name a few. Many satisfied customers on this forum as well as other forums.

$599.99 NEW is a steal. I may have to put this baby on my list of potential HDMI receivers in the near future.
Bill

I have made many purchases through acc4 always a good experience and every item, even so called refurbs were spotless.I bought my 972 there, it also was brand new as noted.Also note the size, I had to rebuild my stand under the screen to fit the 972, about 8 inches high and really deep.

I gotcha. That's cool they upgraded it like that. I ended up going with the 4311. Hopefully it'll ship soon and I can get it up and running.

Congrats on the 4311 and I'm certain it will sound great.Let us know when you get it and setup.