It's High Time We Had An Official Time Out

thebes

Am I the only one to notice that the "powers that be" continue to make music at a most prodigious pace. Indeed at a rate far greater than one funky soul can possibly keep pace with. Indeed, I'm suspicious that the number of people who have played in a band, had a solo career, been recorded, or heard on stage has long since far surpassed the number of actual people walking around, scratching various places, and putting on a tune or two to every now and then.

Try as I might, the sheer volume of albums I'm picking up on an almost casual basis, far exceeds my ability to ever play them all.

Not that I haven't tried. I've engaged a staff of professional archivists (I must say a more mousy looking bunch of introverts is seldom seen out in normal society). Then there's the cleaning. For some reason "wax" attracts dust. I've enlisted The Twins. Dressed them up in those '60's "shimmy, shimmy" polyester skirts complete with go-go boots. They shimmy up a a storm, I bring a album close to their hips and the resulting static field strips the dust off the vinyl. Unfortunately, I live in a zone of variable magnetic fields and occasionally the aforementioned static charge strips the dresses from The Twins. This results in either hilarity, a spontaneous bout of tickling, and/or roundhouse kongs on the ole Thebes's head, depending upon their mood, and the tornado cycle in the Midwest in early spring.

It's all out of hand.

Oh no Thebes, we know what you are talking about. Oh, oh, oh, what shall we do?

Yes. Really. It is true that most of life's audiophile problems are readily solved by turning to Thebes Exalted. "He'll save our bacon", they cry, and they are right.

So, the solution is simple, A moratorium on music. Starting May 30 , which happily coincides with Nation Ear Wax Day, all production, recording and distribution in any form of music shall cease for a period of one year.

That should be time enough to give us a break and catch up. After all. I'm all ready up to Astrud Gilberto's "That Girl From Ipanema" 1977. Before you know it I'll be up to The Cars, and after that, can the 90's be far behind.

So how far are you backed up?

I'm stuck at Archiv "Easter on Mount Athos," 8th century Byzantine chant...

Oh, well, back to work...Polyphony beckons only a couple of centuries away and Hildegaard von Bingen isn't too far up the road.

Dave

I might be able to catch up if I just stop buying records. It's becoming a real problem......OK, it's been a real problem for quite a long time. Unfortunately, stopping the presses will do nothing to help me since I seem to be going backwards in time.

Ah but the time out will never work...I keep acquiring "old" music produced a few years ago. Some a couple of decades ago.

When it comes to new to me music, most of it is old. CDs. Records, LPs, big music, black heroin, whatever ya call 'em can be had for next to nothing these days. Sure they're used but the price is right.

Such pessimism. I'm telling you it's one of my can't fail spectacular brainstorms.

With no new music, no singing in he shower either, a great calm will come over the land. You will be able to go into almost any public venue, like a grocery store, and finally hear something you are familiar with, instead of the latest and greatest. With no background music in elevators, you will finally be able to identify the sneaky fellow whose who fusses between the 18th and 24th floors on your daily trip up to your cubbyhole.Hungry listeners will soon swoop down on all the existing music, buy it up, and create a classical capitalist shortage. Prices will rise, we won't be able to buy cheap records,and before you know it, we'll be sifting through our collections looking for hidden, or forgotten gems.

Follow my vision and audio nirvana will soon follow..

Prices will rise, we won't be able to buy cheap records,and before you know it, we'll be sifting through our collections looking for hidden, or forgotten gems.

Follow my vision and audio nirvana will soon follow..

As long as we can have live music... and if we'd stop buying so many cheap records we'd actually be able to listen to what we have.... The twins did say they'd stop by when I'm ready to clean up the piles o' new inventory. Makin' the musical experience even more exciting.

Are we talking about not buying any new music, or are we talking about retiring to our tents for a little shut eye. I am a little confused someone just point me in the right direction please.

Both. Thebes' brilliance is sometimes hard to interpret for us mere mortals.

Damn that Thebes! Damn him I say. He calls for a time out from buying music and I can't resist the call of the local rescue mission on the way home from work to feed my black (and silver) heroin addiciton.

I'm playing right into his sinster plan, whatever it may be. Damn him! Or is it the twins, they were going to call but didn't but when I called earlier they said they were on a top secret mission and would have to be undercover at an unknown location for a couple of more days... but ... I think I heard a strange sound in the background, Marty hackin' and wheezin'... the sound he makes when he's trying to electrocute himself when he adjusts the bias on PCats in the bath tub.... top secret mission, or shenanigans? And whose behind it? Marty? The Twins? The Twins but they've got Marty doing the dirty work, they can be soo smoooooth that they'll have even The Mighty Thebes (send that check soon Marty, this addiction gets expen$ive) playing right into their hands. Or are they conspiring together... or is this all a smoke screen?

I ran out of work before putting in my time for the day (God forbid one forgets to enter their time on time... Dang, still haven't entered.... I'll be back) to get some chems to get the vinyl and steel pond fit to swim in. And then realized I could make the local rescue mission... I tried not to go but couldn't resist... and the cursory glance turned into thumbing through the silver and black discs o' music. In so quietyly that I damn near got locked in for the night.

Hmmmmmmmm the video from the hidden cams at Marty's is very foggy, but I can definitely see that that twins are there and given Marty's hair he has damn near electrocuted himself. Again. It'd be a shame if he blows up those Pcats.

(um, just kidding about the hidden cams Marty ... )... [A]

Just what is going on here?