Spl meter

Scrappydue

Wondering if general consensus here is that the radio shack ones are just fine of the job. Really wanting only

To make sure I am level matched. But want to make sure it is pretty damn accurate. Any suggestions on good reliable one?

• Moderators

that's all they are used for is channel level?

That's all I use mine for. The only other use I can see is to chart out frequency response in your room. Play certain frequencies to see where your peak and nulls are. Can use it to try to acheive a flat frequency response? I've not used it for that though.

I want one because I am not sure how accurate my speakers are matched. Since I have upgraded everything my onkyo Is just maxed out at -12db except for the sub goes down to -15db. Even when I moved to emotiva xpa-2 or mains. Couldn't compensate any lower. So I am thinking they are not able to be matched very well and that i should do it manually.

I want one because I am not sure how accurate my speakers are matched. Since I have upgraded everything my onkyo Is just maxed out at -12db except for the sub goes down to -15db. Even when I moved to emotiva xpa-2 or mains. Couldn't compensate any lower. So I am thinking they are not able to be matched very well and that i should do it manually.

It sounds like you may be running your sub too hot.....Have you tried lowering the volume on the sub and running Audyssey again?

that's all they are used for is channel level?

- Figuring out how loud real world sounds are.

- Helping the user determine how loud is, "loud enough!"

- Keeping distortion to a minimum by providing data used to caculate how much SPL you've got left in your system, before you blow something up.

- Checking phase

- Crosschecking connected speakers for diagnostic purposes

An SPL meter becomes a much more powerful tool when combined with a multimeter and a tone generator / test CD.

Thanks for sharing the link. I bought an SPL, used it, and my HT sounds so much better!

As far as I can tell, my speakers are much more balanced now than it was before the SPL calibration. All speakers are set to ~80db and I don't have to touch the volume level control anymore; eg, dialogues or vocals -vs- explosions or thunders, dynamics are just right and neither are overwhelming.

I'd recommend an SPL calibration, that is, if the receiver or amplifier allows for speaker tuning.