Possible tubes for Fortes

I would like to give tubes a shot. I have two limitations. One, I am technologically challenged. Two, I have bought a good bit of gear recently and can't afford much.

What do you guys think of the Yaqin MC 10L?

What other integrated tube amp would you suggest in the $500-700 range? I have reasonably good ss (Cambridge 840w & 840e). Would I notice a significant difference with tubes? Or... should I wait a few months till I can spen a bit more? Thank, Chip.

Congrats for going down the right path and looking at new production. The spec's on the MC-10L are very good...it's quieter than most tube amps , has ample power, very wide bandwidth. One thing you need to check into is total cost....sometimes the shipping for some of these bargain amps will eat into your budget.

That's the one upside re shipping. I found I one on the local CL, which is what is making me think about it now. The guy is asking $450.

A fellow forum member suggested a Decware SE84C. How do they compare?

Remember that I am technology challenged and definitely want to stay under $700. (And the loser to $500 I can stay the happier I will be.)

I would like to give tubes a shot. Would I notice a significant difference with tubes? Thank, Chip.

In my experience it seems that tube amps generally have a more "weighty" bass sound, softer and not as "solid" as solid state. They tend to sound more "powerful" than an equivalent wattage solid state amp. The middle and treble frequency range tends to sound more "spacious", three dimensional. The term "air" around voice and instruments also comes to mind.

Now that I've biased your expectations [^o)] keep in mind that many of today's best solid state amps are not as noisy or "edgy" as the early stuff from the late 60's and 70's. Much solid state equipment from that era IMO were largely "mistakes" although there seems to be plenty of people who disagree.

All I can say is that when my friend Rick traded in his Fisher tube receiver for a Pioneer SX-something back around 1973 his setup (JBL, Dual turntable/Shure pickup) never sounded as good. And when he eventually hung that thing on a pair of Klipschorns ~ egads......ouch!

Years later the aural memory of what his system sounded like with the Fisher tube amp is what motivated me to try some tube amps with my Klipschorns. I've never looked back, but nowadays I guess you could say "I've got all kinds", low wattage, high wattage, solid state and tube, push-pull and SET. It's kind of like ice cream. Sometimes its vanilla, sometimes its chocolate, sometimes it's a strawberry & vanilla fudge sundae with whip cream and a cherry on top.

Regardless of whether you decide to buy new or used, try to secure an audition in your system (many sellers of new equipment, such as Decware, offer a money back guarantee although their least expensive offering is a bit more than what you want to spend iirc.) Tube equipment can often have very different sonic characteristics depending on the design (i.e. single ended triode or pentode vs push-pull pentode or ultralinear, and so on.) I wouldn't rush to make a decision, particularly since you said that you can spend a bit more in a few months. You want to be satisfied with your choice and not have regrets afterwards.

I have a Yaqin tube amp (rebranded by Grant Fidelity) running my k-horns, and also a Yaqin tube phono preamp. I am very happy with the Yaqin amps so far and have had no issues. There is a Canadian seller on ebay that has a good reputation and offers a warrenty as well as claiming to check the amps prior to shipping. I bought my phono preamp from him. His price on a new MC-10L is $449.00 plus shipping. http://stores.ebay.com/Canadian-HiFi-Online?_trksid=p4340.l2563

A fellow forum member suggested a Decware SE84C

it's probally in the group of the best sounding amps out there....but...it's extremely low power and if you want to play at levels for a small party...it would be pushing it.

You own a pair of Chorus as well, don't you? Those are even more sensitive than the fortes, probably the best speakers in your arsenal for the low-power approach should you decide to go down that particular path. Food for thought.

You're wise to hold off for now. Once you learn what the different approaches have to offer you can make a better decision on what to actually invest your hard earned ducats in.

Yes, I have the Chorus. Once I get around to putting the same mods in the Fortes, I look forward to comparing and choosing which pair goes upstairs. My wife loves he Fortes. Not for sonic reasons, but the smaller size. No double entendre implied!

Chip,

I recently bought an H. H. Scott 299C amp which I then sent to Craig at "NOS Valves". He rebuilt it to better than new spec's and it sounds truly superb with my Cornscala's. I am very demanding in the audio department and it turned out much better than I ever expected. You might say that I'm one happy camper. Add the cost of the 299C plus repair and shipping and you're probably looking at close to the high end of your budget - helps if you can get the purchase price of the Scott under $300.[:)]

I was wondering if there is anyone near West Michigan who has tubes connected to Fortes or Chorus? And more importantly, would they be interested in inviting an audiophyte over for a listening session? That's a rather forward request, heh?

For what it is worth, the tubes will almost certainly be connected to the Chorus. And that's going to be upstairs so small wattage is no problems. I am selling some Onkyo gear that I recently purchased to partially fund my tube project. Thanks for the help.