Another reason why everyone needs a bass test CD

Youthman

• Moderators

I've always known I've had bass resonances (I think that's what they are called) in my room. Basically when things rattle during low frequencies.

Today, I had was going through some bass frequencies on my test CD and was able to pinpoint 3 rattles in my room (can light in the ceiling, piece of wood in the false wall, and my "Home Theater" sign as you enter my room.

I was able to fix the rattle in the can just by rotating the metal. Must have snugged it up. The other two, I used these round furiture felt pads.

Now you just hear and feel solid bass, without it sounding like the integrity of my walls are being compromised. [:D]

post-27215-1381973489512_thumb.jpg

post-27215-13819765600298_thumb.jpg

post-27215-13819792423644_thumb.jpg

I've always known I've had bass resonances (I think that's what they are called) in my room. Basically when things rattle during low frequencies.

Today, I had was going through some bass frequencies on my test CD and was able to pinpoint 3 rattles in my room (can light in the ceiling, piece of wood in the false wall, and my "Home Theater" sign as you enter my room.

I was able to fix the rattle in the can just by rotating the metal. Must have snugged it up. The other two, I used these round furiture felt pads.

Now you just hear and feel solid bass, without it sounding like the integrity of my walls are being compromised. Big Smile

I used the Disney World of Wonder and it also helped me pinpoint odd vibrations in the hvac ans a couple of picture frames. The felt pads worked for the frames and I ended up getting the Auralex great gramma sub platform (or what ever its called) and it was a huge improvement it also cut down on localization.

• Moderators

Got the same problem with a china cabinet in the next room, really one big open room. It's bad when I listen to music I have to open the doors on the cabinet, that stops 90% of the rattles, one day I need to work on it, it's open right now. [:P]

Pardon my ignorance but how can an EQ software tell someone what is going to rattle in their room?

REW has a built-in tone generator function for diagnostic purposes...same as a test disc.

Right, sorry I should have been more specific. You can dial in any specific frequency, or sweep, which you can't do with a CD very effectively.

Not a bad idea. I may give that a go sometime soon too. I think I have some weird rattles going on when I turn my sub up so I had to turn it back down. I was thinking it was the sub itself, but it's probably something else...What CD did you use?

• Moderators

Before I purchased an actual test CD, I found the files online. If anyone wants the, PM me your email address and I'll send them to you. You can play them directly from your computer or burn them to a CD or your iPod.

There's the Binks CD...which are a bunch of calibrated* ISO frequency files you burn to audio disc.

Here: http://binkster.net/extras.shtml

Then there's Ethan Winer's downloadable disc that has uncalibrated* bass tones in single frequency steps

Here: http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm

Both have proven very useful for diagnostic work. I use the Binks for pretty much everything source-related, and the Winer disc when setting up subs.

* Calibrated in this context meaning that the signals are played-back at a known dBFS, which is very useful for investigating digital component performance and when determining actual system headroom.

Thank for the links. I just downloaded the realtraps and Binks file and made a couple of disc to play with later. I don't have a clue on how to stop a slight rattle from my Frech doors off the family room. Felt pads will not work there.

Does anyone have any recommendation for light tracking that rattles real bad due to bass? Was going to get strips of the soft side of velcro and stick that all over, but felt pads would probably be cheaper.

I little RTV would do the trick. Preferably clear.