Those Crown D75A studio amps...

Wrinkles

When you power them down you get a loudish "pop" through your speakers. Maybe capacitive discharge? Anyway, anyone ever know if that pop ever damaged any drivers. The alternative is to get different amps. These sound real good so I am not too interested in that yet.

Thanks

You might try to contact tech support at crown to see if they have a fix for this or at least if they can tell you what the level/frequency of the transit pop is to help you determine if it could cause driver damage. I'm thinking if this is common to the design even when new it probably isn't of a level to cause driver damage.

miketn

Powered down separately, the one on the K402s give a pip...The one for the bass gives a thump...

This occurs with my D75As every time I shut down. I switched out the D-75A driving the TADs with a First Watt F3, and this amp doesn't have any noticeable power-up or -down transients. I just chalk it up to the D75A amp design - simple with no bells or whistles.

I've had no other issues with drivers for the tri-amped Belle or the Jub woofers.

Chris

"I'm thinking if this is common to the design even when new it probably isn't of a level to cause driver damage.
miketn"

That is what I'm thinking now.

"This occurs with my D75As every time I shut down.
Chris"

I just wanted to be sure I was not hurting anything.

Thanks Mike and Chris

I turn my pre-amp down before I shut my amp off and never hear anything unusual. If I leave the pre-amp volume up and turn the amp off, it plays for a while then kind of fades away. Disclaimer, Mark D went through this amp and may have altered the way it powers down.

• Moderators

If I leave the pre-amp volume up and turn the amp off, it plays for a while then kind of fades away.

Kind of what I do, turn off the amps first, they play for a few seconds and fade down, still sometimes a small pop, then I turn off everything else.

Edit.......just noticed the A, mine are not the A model just plain D-75.

One thing weird is I have 3 of these amps, one of them has a Orange power light to the left of the off and on knob, the other two have no light ? Probably different year models everything else is exactly the same?

Back in the mid to late '70s when I peddled Klipsch, McIntosh, Crown, et al, it was common for the Crown amps (D-150 in particular) to make odd noises when connected to Klipsch loudspeakers. The D-150/Klipschorn combination caused a sound closely resembling someone breaking wind about five seconds after the amp was powered down.

When connected to less efficient loudspeakers, the Crown amps seemed to behave themselves post power.

Lee