big band and polka records

George O.

If you like polka, then you need to be familiar with Alex Meixner (pronounced minor).

Alex Meixner  (2010)

Fantastic album....

Alex Meixner (2010)

THREE RING CIRCUS

If you like polka you need your ears to be tested.

"If you like polka you need your ears to be tested"

Could you please explain this fallacious comment?

If you like polka, then you need to be familiar with Alex Meixner (pronounced minor).

Alex Meixner  (2010)

Fantastic album....

Alex Meixner (2010)

THREE RING CIRCUS

If you like polka you need your ears to be tested.

"If you like polka you need your ears to be tested"

Could you please explain this fallacious comment?

He's oldenough to know better.... Everybody... POLKA...

My first Polka record, I got it for Christmas. Well, actually not my "first". I should say my first "commercially available" polka record. My dad was making 78rpm recordings of our family get togethers since I was 2 and there was plenty of Polka playing going on, two or three accordians and one or two harmonicas and lots of singing.

Personally, I think mexican marhachi bands and polka bands sound much alike.

post-10840-13819735337602_thumb.jpg

post-10840-13819766025522_thumb.jpg

post-10840-1381979297627_thumb.jpg

And this is what my dad recorded it on. I stll have this record cutter/player and a box of blank acetate audiodiscs.

And BTW George O. the only reason that local record store never sold a Polka record is probably because of where he's located. If he were in Chicago I guarantee he would have sold more old Polka records than than anything else.

post-10840-13819735338782_thumb.jpg

post-10840-13819766026532_thumb.jpg

post-10840-1381979297725_thumb.jpg

And this is what my dad recorded it on. I stll have this record cutter/player and a box of blank acetate audiodiscs.

As kids say... That is a really "cool" looking piece of equipment.. I am certain that it is very collectable.

If he were in Chicago I guarantee he would have sold more old Polka records than than anything else.

In the mid '80s, while living between Madison and Milwaukee, a young couple in our church got married. The reception was in a 'hall', with music supplied by a local band. THree oldtimers, a drummer, guitarist and accordian player. All had white hair, and they ROCKED! Everyone danced, from the three year old kids to grannies. A GREAT time was had by all, and these guys played just about every genre you can imagine.

Art, you are correct about the mariachi bands and polka bands sounding similar. Many Europeans settled in South America and Mexico, bringing instruments from home. Very, very similar styles and sounds.

Bruce

I'm heading down to a Czech Fest, in Ennis, Texas, tomorrow. Ennis is a town that was founded by immigrants from the Czech region of Europe back in the mid 1800s. There will be plenty of polka music to go around and possibly some cold beer to be consumed (and good food).