Initial Impression of RF 7-Problems and solutions

derrickdj1

Yesterday I brought a pair of RF 7s. When I first hooked them up, I was not impressed compared to my demo at the sellers house. Not a critisim of the 7s, just meant I had so work to do since I knew what the speaker were capable of doing. First I will share some pic's befor my mini review of the 7s. Icon VF 36 next to RF 7

The RF 7s are not as easy to Plug N Play as the VF 36's. On initial setup and running MCACC the problems I had with the RF 7s were, room reverbaration, standing waves, dominant bass and poor imaging. I experience the shrill and harshness of horn speakers for the first time. I have heard about these things on the forum and said to myself relax, there are things that you have learned on the forum.

Next, into action: 1.) Equilateral triangle for imaging, 2.) toe- in, 3.) Pull them away from the walls 1-2 ft., This help with some of the problems. The bass was still causing problems in the room. I tweak the EQ on the RF 7s, lowering the 125Hz band and the1kHz band by 3 db. Then I up the 4kHz band and the 16 kHz band of all the speakers for greater intrument separation. I should also mention the I ran the auto MCACC and EQ pro with 3 positions.

Next, the smile over my face grew like the Grinch Who Stole Christmas. Everything in system was tied together with synergy. In between some of this, I compared my Icon V towers to the RF 7s. Although this is not a fair comparison.

I found without all the tweaks, that the 7s have a more complete sound. The Pioneer Elite dose a lot to level out the playing field for the VF 36's. The 7s have a larger sound stang and overall more balance compared to the VF 36s. The VF 36s have a very smooth delivery of the Hi's due to the horn design. My initial impression of the Icon V series still stands: it is a very good system. The Icon V's are for people willing to spend $4000 for a system retail with avr compared to 10,000 retail for an RF 7 HT. The Klipsch quality is in both systems and I will be keeping my Icon V's. Most likely, I will grow the RF 7s into a completer HT.

One last point, timber match is perfect between the Icon V speakers and the RF 7s. This has to do with MCACC EQ. Dialogue is clear and not hard to hear from the VC 25 inspite of the mismatch to the 7s with the hughe drivers. When people are asking opinions on avr's, we focus in on power maybe more than we should. The quality of the pre-amp is a very big factor in the overall integration of the system. The RF 7s are a truly great speaker.

..When people are asking opinions on avr's, we focus in on power maybe more than we should. The quality of the pre-amp is a very big factor in the overall integration of the system. The RF 7s are a truly great speaker.

Imo, it seems most preamp sections of the mid-level AVRs are pretty good, but in larger rooms and at loud volumes their power supplies can't keep up with the impedance dips of the RF-7s without becoming "bright."

..When people are asking opinions on avr's, we focus in on power maybe more than we should. The quality of the pre-amp is a very big factor in the overall integration of the system. The RF 7s are a truly great speaker.

Imo, it seems most preamp sections of the mid-level AVRs are pretty good, but in larger rooms and at loud volumes their power supplies can't keep up with the impedance dips of the RF-7s without becoming "bright."

I actually think most pre sections in avrs are not that great.I find few avrs could work well with 7's, these are just opinion though and each person hears things different in their space.As to 7's, about 30-36 inches to the front of the baffle from rear wall, about 24 inches from side, towed to aim behind the head s where to start.

I actually think most pre sections in avrs are not that great.I find few avrs could work well with 7's, these are just opinion though and each person hears things different in their space.

I can't argue against what you say above when it comes to opinion especially since the OP has a pioneer, you have an HK and I have a Denon...I just responded on another thread where the guy loved his Yammi so at least these brands preamp sections seem to work with Klipsch speakers.

I am most likely not going to get the 64. I will get a 62 since I am not having problems with the VF 25. I will be shopping for a new stand this weekend, lol. It is a tad crowded.Indifferent

Just keep the center speaker in front and move the gear with lights off to the side of the room! Better movie-watching experience with no distractions and dark scenes that go dark.

When I watch movies, I cut off all component display lights. I have been pleased with the simplicity of use of the Yamaha amps and the natural sound quality that they produce. They are very well with dynamics. I checked out the size of the RS 7 which are huge but, the RC 7 is not bad for placement issues.

One of the interesting things in handeling the bass problems with the nulls, reveb and standing waves was cutting the the 125 Hz band. MCACC showed the standing wave problem to be between 125-200 Hz. Placement closer to wall lower the frequency that becomes problematic. MCACC also provided Reverb. grahps that showed the the Front R speaker and SBL spearker were causing dramatic reverb problem. This allowed me to make time delay changes. I found roughly 12in. would work best to get rid of the reverb. I have never used the avr to this extent with setting things up. The SBL really need to be moved but due to room constraint, I have not figured out a new place for it. Setting all the speaker to small helped with the bass management.

I believe reverb is a consequence of standing waves. What I take them to mean is you have these sound waves coming out of your speakers and bouncing off the walls. Sometimes when this happens and the waves meet up again, their peaks match, there is a possibility they will start to resonate. A good example of resonation is when you are singing in the shower and you hit that perfect note, the walls seem like they start to vibrate and it gets really loud. However, the opposite can happen as well and the waves can possibly cancel eachother out. How this all happens depends on the shape of your room. This is why a lot of people choose to treat their room with some kind of sound absorber, so you don't have all these sound waves bouncing back and forth off the walls.

Time delay is something else entirely and much easier to understand. It's when one of your speakers may be further from you than the other. Even though they are playing at the same time, one's sound might take longer to reach your ears, so time delay is your receivers tool to maybe play the sound from one speaker just a tad bit later than the other so both the sounds reach your ears at the same time.

As far as understanding it more, I couldn't find a lot of places online with good write-ups, especially pertaining to speakers.

For the Pioneer Elite avr's the way the delay works for example,If you run a 100 yard dash, the 50 yard mark is the center. MCACC EQ's the speakers after the 50 yard mark. High frequency are faster in the first half of the race and drop off after that point. Bass frequencies win the race in the last half of the race. So, MCACC will increase the Hi frequencies in the second half of the race to match the bass. This can result in the shrill and screech that some people get with their speakers and end up giving horn speakers a bad rap. There are other scenarios. But, in this case shortening the time mark to 50 will get rid of the shrill when MCACC EQ's the system. MCACC as other time controls to compensate for speaker distance. and TV voice delay. This is why I am a fan of letting the avr run the base management and set all my speakers to small, it is simpler and running speaker as Large introduce more bass frequencies to deal with in the room.