MC 2125 power amp question

ricktate

I have a MC2125 and a HK AVR 20 but the AVR gets much louder than the Mac, I dont understand why, seems like a 120watt amp should kick the 50 watt AVRs butt. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks Rick

I woul have to know how you have the system connected. Are you comparing 2 channel to 2 channel operation and switching in and out the Mc or are you using the Mc to drive 2 of the channels? Which ones?

If using the AV in 5 channel and the Mc driving the front L&R have you ran setup again and used a SPL meter to adjust the channels?

need more info/?????

I was using 2 channel only, I used the pre amp out of HK to the Mac and the volume was alot lower than I think it shoud be for the same volume knob setting. It just dont make sense to me, Back when I got my HK430 it kicked my Yamaha reciever to the curb I could understand that one. But when you take a McIntosh and the HK AVR kicks it to the curb makes me want to just sell the Mac. I'm very disappointed in the Mac now. Rick

I was using 2 channel only, I used the pre amp out of HK to the Mac and the volume was alot lower than I think it shoud be ...

Probably a difference in the voltage output of the HK preamp from what the Mac expects as input. Of course, the HK is a single unit so the engineers knew exactly how much voltage created how much gain, etc.

Thanks guys for your ideas...I think Tourist is right , pre out just doesnt put out enough I do have the sensitivity switch on .75v . How would you make up for the difference in loudness if I wanted to use the Mac for the front power on home theater mode? I may have to put the Mac up for sale I got it from a forum member so it will be on here first. Thanks for all the help. Rick

Companies like Harrison Labs and the car audio company soundstream made RCA in-line signal boosters in various db levels +3db, +6db, etc. Phoneix Gold also had items that would boost line voltage up to 9V. In the car audio world this allowed people to run the amplier gains at "zero" and lower the noise floor considerably yet have the line signal to achieve full amplifier power. Amplifier sensitivity will certainly vary from model to model.

Ok thanks guys...I hooked my HK 430 tape outs to the Mac and the volume is right now but no tone controls. So atleast I know its not the amp now but still dont know how you would use it as a front speaker power amp without the volume being different from the rears. I may just use the Mac as 2 channel system and leave the HK20 for home theater.. Thanks again Rick