Advice on updated Forte's to FhorusII ?

My apology in advance for a stupid question.I have been looking in vain for a pair of Forte IIs.I just missed a pair three days ago that were in excellent condition for $500.

I then was offered a pair of Forte'IIs that have had the drivers replaced form a pair of Chorus IIs.They also have been internally braced,and dampening material has been added to the interior to further deaden the cabinet. The internal wires have also been upgraded.

My question is whether this is an advisable upgrade.

I would prefer to wait and hope to find a good pair of

unadulterated Forte IIs,as the pair I am being offered are priced at $600,as opposed to the $500 price for the pair I missed.

Anyone have some advice? (or have a pair of Forte IIs

they would part with?)

Thanks...Ted

This message has been edited by swandivr on 06-02-2002 at 06:32 PM

Thanks Mike for the advice,my first reaction was to just wait.However,I have been looking for some time now,and my feeling is that SOMEONE-SOMEWHERE-has my Forte's,and it may be someone on this board.So,if you are reading this message,and have my Forte's...GIVE'UM

UP!!cwm14.gifcwm1.gifcwm1.gif

This message has been edited by swandivr on 06-02-2002 at 08:11 PM

OK, swanny: I'll give up my Fortes, if you can find me a pair of oiled oak Cornwalls for a straight swap cwm1.gif.

Honestly, I do have to concur with Mikekid: the originals (even the first series, no II behind the name) are some of the finest loudspeakers in their class that I have ever heard; the only other non-Klipsch speakers that have compared to them (to my ears) came from a little known Australian company named Duntech: I heard a pair of wall-hanging speakers by them years ago (supplemented by a coffee-table-size subwoofer by the same company), and it set a sonic standard that I have been working to match ever since.

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center Channel

Klipsch RS-3 surrounds

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Harmon Kardon AVR520 Receiver

Sony 5-disc changer

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Nordost Moonglo Digital Coax

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

(Future upgrades to include):

A big-*** HDTV

OK Folks!!

Who's got my set of Oiled Oak Cornwalls??..C'mon give

um up!!!cwm14.gifcwm1.gifcwm1.gif

I am well aware of the Forte's great sound,if I didn't

care,I could get by with some Technics cwm1.gif

This message has been edited by swandivr on 06-03-2002 at 12:22 PM

Yikes!Now it's Klipschorns!Have a little mercy on me!cwm14.gifcwm1.gifcwm1.gif

Maybe I should go back to the original question.Would it really be so bad to be the only guy in town with a pair of Fhorus IIs?cwm4.gifcwm4.gif

Nah...I'll wait for a pair of "stockers".

This message has been edited by swandivr on 06-03-2002 at 03:41 PM

Guest BobG

Hmmm. Those Forte's sound familiar. I wonder if they were the ones I owned? Did those mods. Only the tweeter was changed out for a Chorus tweeter as the bigger magnet seemed to offer better driver control. Had to be padded back to match sensitivity of the other Forte drivers. Are they black?

Swan-

Hold out for those unadulterated Forte I or II. As Mike said, you can't do much more to make either of those speakers better, or even the Quartet/Chorus. I have Forte IIs and parents have Forte I, II, and now a pair of Chorus IIs and love them all. I think I prefer the FII over the original, but just by a nose. I haven't done a side-by-side between FII and CII in a long while, but soon, that will be a reality thanks to Mike Lindsay. From my original exposure, the FII has just a bit more low end, but the CII has more upper end presence.

It's too bad we can't call these babies "Heritage."

There are some mods out there for hot-rodding Forte's and Chorus, such as putting sand in the base, upgrading the wires, upgrading the x-overs by using new, higher quality parts, etc...

They have been posted in the past on this board by aabernathy. If you are interested, search for posts by him.

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 06-04-2002 at 01:56 PM

Thanks Clue:

Saw those earlier.I have never tried E-Bay,but there is always the first time.Did they start a little high to begin with?Most of what I have seen have been elsewhere,and seemed to start out a little lower than that.I wish I hadn't missed that set for $500...Shoot!

I have also noticed that there are no bids yet,but it is early and I will watch to see where it goes.If it gets too steep,I will stay quiet.I appreciate your informing me,

Thank You!!cwm1.gif

This message has been edited by swandivr on 06-05-2002 at 02:32 AM

quote:

Originally posted by swandivr:

I wish I hadn't missed that set for $500...Shoot!

I stated this before, but I think it is worth repeating. Let's ASSUME that the "out of production" speakers you desire are truly in MINT condition. Could you spend $625, or even $845, on some brand new "in production" speaker today, that you would be satisfied with? If so, that is the path you SHOULD go. I think that too many people seek that elusive "great deal". Well they ARE out there, but NOT that easy to come by. The last pair of Forte I's that I bought cost me $675. They WERE in absolutely MINT condition. I have very little fear that I will not be able to get that much, if I should decide to sell them. I AM sure that $675 will NOT buy new speakers of the same build quality at a retail shop. If cosmetics are not as big an issue, the market opens up quite a bit, but then don't necessarily expect them to hold their value as well ... simply because there are more on the market! The biggest concern that I have, is the possibility of me inspecting, and picking up the speakers myself. Shipping charges can seem extreme($175), and insurance will not ease the loss of a "well preserved specimen".

Thanks for the advice guys!The combination of two issues do concern me.

1.Not being able to see the speakers "up close and personal".

2.Shipping.This is a big consideration,not only the expense,but the possibility of damage (as Jerohm mentioned).I am retired now,but was a freight driver before I retired,and I know firsthand how damage can occur,even when handled by professionals.

So,it comes down to whether or not to "take a chance".

I would rather find a pair in my area,but sadly they have been scarce lately.

jhawk

I shouldnt say this, but i caint help myself!!!!

HERE GOES

Only the heritage have a name!

Kornerhorn, La Scalas, Belle, Cornwall,Heresy, Chorus, Forte,

the models, that arent heritage are

HERE GOES

KG, KLF, RC,RS,

Do you follow me?

This is the only true answer, to what ive asked and argued with, for a month!

Who told me this

Here Goes

SSSHHHHHHHHHH!

LOL

Only if the person says so himself!

Regards Jim

This message has been edited by Jim Cornell on 06-05-2002 at 11:51 PM