Tannoy

whatever55

Had a pair of Tannoy System 12 studio monitors (sold them to finance the k-horns). They were really fantastic sounding speakers, I wish I had had the tube amps I have now to pair with them. Based on that experience and never having heard them, the Westminster Royals have always been the "if i win the lottery" speakers for me. If the System 12 sound that good the big Westminster must be glorious!

There were two versions of the Westminster,,,The one with the socalled pepper pot High frequency driver unit,,,And the Tulip waveguied high frequency unit,, The latter also was a couple inches shorter..

Whatever55: the late Harvey (aka "Gizmo") Rosenberg was an extremely devoted Westminster Royal listener. I had corresponded with him many years ago about using single-ended triode amplifiers, which are in the few watt range...some more, some less..., with very high efficiency horn loaded speakers. For him, they were the very best of the best. Those familiar with his name, which you certainly may be, know that he was a very prolific writer about this topic, and mentioned the westminsters often in conjunction with the Japanese audio community, which had a dedicated following of both horn speakers and low powered triodes before that specific combination became a bit more mainstream, or at least more popular, here in the west. He shared some very enjoyable email about them, and there was a time where I was very interested in them, though decidedly under-funded in terms of owning a pair for myself. Harvey Rozenberg was a fascinating character, and is missed by many. I still love to look at those big speakers! Another, less expensive model I find very intersting is called the Tannoy "Glenair," which to me is also visually very sculptural. Can't afford those either, but they have crept up from time to time on the used market. By the way, you need not worry about posting about other, non-klipsch products here. They are very tolerant about it, a fact I have to come to greatly respect and appreciate.

Whatever55: the late Harvey (aka "Gizmo") Rosenberg was an extremely devoted Westminster Royal listener. I had corresponded with him many years ago about using single-ended triode amplifiers, which are in the few watt range...some more, some less..., with very high efficiency horn loaded speakers. For him, they were the very best of the best. Those familiar with his name, which you certainly may be, know that he was a very prolific writer about this topic, and mentioned the westminsters often in conjunction with the Japanese audio community, which had a dedicated following of both horn speakers and low powered triodes before that specific combination became a bit more mainstream, or at least more popular, here in the west. He shared some very enjoyable email about them, and there was a time where I was very interested in them, though decidedly under-funded in terms of owning a pair for myself. Harvey Rozenberg was a fascinating character, and is missed by many. I still love to look at those big speakers! Another, less expensive model I find very intersting is called the Tannoy "Glenair," which to me is also visually very sculptural. Can't afford those either, but they have crept up from time to time on the used market. By the way, you need not worry about posting about other, non-klipsch products here. They are very tolerant about it, a fact I have to come to greatly respect and appreciate.

Hey Erik! I'm sure that you also recall that Harvey was a proponent of OTLs and even created a page to honor Futterman:

http://www.meta-gizmo.net/futtrmn/intro-futtrmn.html

Those were certainly some exciting days in high fidelity audio! Wish I could turn back the clock............

Maynard

Tannoy's are really under appreciated speakers. While my wallet could

never flip for a fancy pair I do own a set of System 15 DMT studio

monitors that utilize the 15" gold dual concentric driver. I really

love the sound that these produce. They will never replace my

traditional horn sneakers in my main system but I also will never

sell them. Very coherent sound top to bottom with great imaging!

Tannoy's are really under appreciated speakers. While my wallet could
never flip for a fancy pair I do own a set of System 15 DMT studio
monitors that utilize the 15" gold dual concentric driver. I really
love the sound that these produce. They will never replace my
traditional horn sneakers in my main system but I also will never
sell them. Very coherent sound top to bottom with great imaging!

Very nice. I've lusted over a pair of these for a while.

Tannoy's are really under appreciated speakers. While my wallet could never flip for a fancy pair I do own a set of System 15 DMT studio monitors that utilize the 15" gold dual concentric driver. I really love the sound that these produce. They will never replace my traditional horn sneakers in my main system but I also will never sell them. Very coherent sound top to bottom with great imaging!

Very nice. I've lusted over a pair of these for a while.

I first used them one year in my display room at AK Fest for the day and I pestered the guy (tubino on AK forum) who loaned them to me for three years to sell me his extra some what rough condition pair. They are not the prettiest speaker on earth but they sound great!

I have a pair of '67 Tannoy Windsors that I picked up a couple of years ago that look pretty scary - some veneer is loose, the wood grill is broken in a couple of places and the cabs look like they could use about 10 coats of oil. I'd take a pic but would be too embarrassed to post it. My wife absolutely hates them and can't imagine how they replaced a nice looking pr of Zu Audio Definition Pros. They are just big, ugly beasts as far as she's concerned and she's campaigning to replace them with a slightly smaller pr of Altecs in the basement.

That said, they do sound nice. The 15" Monitor Golds are smooth and silky with surprisingly tight bottom end. I picked up the speaks in trade and my original intention was to give them a quick listen and sell them but they've kinda gown on me and I keep putting off the inevitable. I am even going so far as to plan on building new xovers and refurbishing the cabs. My only hesitation is knowing that no matter what I do, my wife will never accept them and i fear that one day someone will stop by and express an interest and they will be out the door before I can come up with a valid excuse. In the meantime, they do sound good with most amps I've tried on them and I will enjoy them until...

These are neat stories to read. I window shop Tannoy all the time, and check for vintage models on ebay etc.. I have never even heard them before, but seem to have a captivating interest. What JBryan indicates about them being "silky smooth" is what I often hear as a a description of them.

JB,

if your wife really wants those uglies out of the house, maybe you should donate them to me so I can try to

come up with something like speedysteve has done.

If those bloddy drivers were not so expencive, I already would have started.