DVR hot to the touch

Quiet_Hollow

Now I know our Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC DVR accounts for about 80% of the waste heat in our home theater (the LCD TV coming in a distant 2nd), but I was futzing around with the unit the other day and darn near burnt my hand when I tried to move it.

At that point curiosity got the best of me. So I grabbed the trusty Fluke 179 and duct taped its temp probe to the hottest part of the DVR's chassis.

After the probe stabilized I took note of the reading: 117°F [^o)]

..and that's just idling in "off".

Get this....with the unit "on" and driving the TV it gets stoked all the way up to 121°F [:|] WTF?

Seriously, out in the free air environment this thing is cranking out enough BTU's to double as a crock pot.

Kinda got me on edge a little. It's baking pretty much any surface I put it on, even with ample ventilation.

What do you guys think? If the chassis is 120 steady state, the circuits must be hovering around sub-nuclear. How hot is too hot?

If the outside is reaching 120, I am thinking the inside is darn near close to the 60 celsius (140 faranheit). It doesn't seem like it is operating efficiently. If it melts, I guess it's no biggy, but I would hate to see it burn down your house?

Almost every evening I go to my daughter's room to be sure she hasn't piled clothes on top of the Dish Network receiver. Same thing. I'm afraid of her burning the house down. She's a slob and piles stuff everytwhere. The thing gets really hot..............but I have 4 of them and they all do the same thing.

Thanks for the reassurance guys. [Y][H]

We had a break in the recording schedule so I pulled it offline today to take a look at it. Time Warner had a big 'ol tamper proof sticker attached to the case, so in respect of that, I didn't open the unit. Closer inspection through the top vents with a flashlight revealed I wouldn't have had to anyways. No dust in there at all. Pristine.The part that is causing the hot spot on the chassis (that almost melted my fingertips) is the CPU, which does appear to be heat-sinked directly to the bottom of the unit as Thad described.

Ah well. Going to pick up some risers for it today and plug 'er back in. [li]