Does the Sunfire TGA-7401 really have 120 amps of current per channel?

Kain

On the Sunfire
Web site, the TGA-7401 is spec'd to 120 amps of current per channel
while weighing 46 lbs. I had an e-mail discussion with Parasound
regarding their NewClassic 5250 v.2 and asked them how it was possible
for the Sunfire to have so much more current than the Parasound while
weighing so much less. They said that they would have to "question" the
Sunfire's specs on current by weight is part of the equation when it
comes to current. For reference, the Parasound Halo A51 has 60 amps of
current per channel while weighing 80 pounds. The Sunfire TGA-7401 has
double the current capability while weighing about half as much. Are
Sunfire's specs accurate or is something up? I am sure Parasound's input
on this matter would be bias so I am looking for an unbiased
point-of-view.

there are a few different issues here.....are we talking peak current or continuous current. for peak current, we are influenced by total capacitance and the impedance of all the output stages in parallel. the incremental weight of double the capacitance and double the output stages is small. http://cbasso.pagesperso-orange.fr/Downloads/Papers/bulk%20capacitor%20calculations.pdf

for continuos current....now we are talking major weight differences. significantly larger and significantly heavier transformers are needed to double current in addition to the above mentioned capacitor and parallel output stage considerations.

so, in our 120amp light amp vs the 60 amp heavier amp, it may be the case that the lighter amp is using a peak current rating and the heavier amp is using a continuos current rating.

Nice on your RC-64! How do you like it so far derrick? Didn't you have an icon series one before? I know I was blown away by it going from a 62, I think your upgrade would have been on entire new level if you previously had the icon one.

To the OP, check out Behringer A500

It's got a pretty high distortion. It's a 2 channel amp that claims 160 watts per channel at 8 ohms, but it weighs about 18.5 lbs.

Haha! All because you decided one day that you would like a pair of rf-7s. Its exactly what i did when i seen an ad for some 83s. For me, its finally getting to a point where i feel like i should start thinking about a new tv and not so much audio. I just need an xpa-2 and a pair of rb-62s and i really hope ill be done wanting upgrades for 20 years or decide i need to have a 2 channel setup.

• Moderators

Its watts not amps.

That's what I was thinking but it's way over 120 WPC.

What I don't get is one 110V wall outlet say at 20 amps max producing 120 amps X 7.

Why don't we just get a couple of these and up the power from a few 110v- 20 amp lines to power the whole house ?

7 X 120 amps = 840 amps X 2 is more than a normal house uses.

I know that max output, but even half of that is still putting out way more power than it's using.

Some one please correct me, I must be misunderstanding something ?

Its watts not amps.

That's what I was thinking but it's way over 120 WPC.

What I don't get is one 110V wall outlet say at 20 amps max producing 120 amps X 7.

Why don't we just get a couple of these and up the power from a few 110v- 20 amp lines to power the whole house ?

7 X 120 amps = 840 amps X 2 is more than a normal house uses.

I know that max output, but even half of that is still putting out way more power than it's using.

Some one please correct me, I must be misunderstanding something ?

Thank you. I was thinking the same thing, picturing the speakers frying. Most homes have 100 or 200 amp service.

Wall outlet is normally 15 amps at 120 vac, some are rated higher at 20 amps, but 15 is typical. That is about 1500 watts, and no amp is 100% efficient so maybe 1000 to 1200 watts out of an amp is possible continuously. Marketing doesn't like being limited by reality, so they don't specify time, which might be milliseconds at whatever watts or amps they claim. I'm not sure anything other than rms continuous power has much meaning.

I do agree the Carver signatures are very nice, but what isn't these days?

BTW cap and inductors store energy, which is what can allow very large short bursts of power.