Heresy II vs. Academy as center for la scala's. PICS included

alexg5775

I know this topic has been covered and i am almost embarrassed to post this but maybe i can squeeze some more opinions out and make my final decision.

I have two la scala about 6ft apart, with a marantz ma700 on each and am looking for the best center. Another la scala is out of question for right now.... I have narrowed down to these two. I have the space for both and "looks" is no issue to me. I only care about the "sound". I listen to 75% music, 25% movies. For music i usually run 2 channel stereo but sometimes i enjoy running a 3 channel up front (including center.) I am getting rid of the rc 62 i currently have.... For sub i have a paradigm servo 15a which i am very happy with.

Any one who have owned both and heard both side to side which would you recommend and why? What are there sound differences? Which will sound better with la scalas? Which will sound better for music? For home theater?

I have yet to purchase surrounds btw. Thanks for all the help guys.

Alex

Here is a pic. In the center is the rc62 which speaker will be replacing. Those shelves will be moved and receiver placed on lower rack so i have a pretty good little space there for a speaker. Maybe you guys have another suggestion?

post-34008-1381973833712_thumb.jpg

post-34008-1381976899197_thumb.jpg

post-34008-1381979604363_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

If it were me I would try the Heresy over the Academy, I think it would sound closer and I think it could keep up better with the LaScalas. You could probably get a pair of Heresy's for the cost of an Academy, a second pair later would give you 6.1. [:P]

I used to have an Academy between two LaScalas.

My opinion? Epic fail. The Academy simply got smoked by the output of the LaScalas. What really bummed the deal was I (without thinking of a third LaScala) simply called a dealer, said what do you recommend....and bought three of them sight/sound unheard.

Best choice, LaScala if at all possible (and it looks like it might not be possible)

Cornwall?

Heresy?

Phantom center?

Cornwall is to big.

La scala is also to big and my living room it really to small for a third la scala in center. The three la scala will be very close together. So i figure a heresy. Im still young and live in a town home and plan on moving to a bigger house in years to come were a third la scala is almost promised to be as center:) Then moving my heresy to my rears.... I always try to plan ahead.

Alex

Alex,

While we all know another La Scala would be ideal and a Cornwall or Heresy pretty good, an Academy will work okay, just not ideal. It will surely work better than your RC-62. Youthman has (3) Academy's for sale for a great price.

Bill

• Moderators

Phantom center?

That was my first choice but it seems every time I say that some people think there missing something in the sound.

If the mains are close enough you would only be missing the mismatch of a lesser center channel. To me LaScalas around 10' apart or closer easily sounds like the sound is from the center anyway ?

In the end it's hard to match the sound and output of a LaScala with other models.

IMO

To me LaScalas around 10' apart or closer easily sounds like the sound is from the center anyway...

The best sound I've heard from my LaScalas was having them four feet apart (inside edge to inside edge), about two feet from the left/right walls and three and a half from the wall behind them. The stereo imaging was effotless and far wider than the room and placement would lead you to expect and the depth was huge. I attribute the depth to having absolutely nothing in between the speakers.

I had to change the placement when Carna and I got our TV, as this setup required you to walk between the speakers to leave the room.

Bruce

• Moderators

detel, I seen a phantom channel at work with a pair of KLF 20's on Sansui amps and it was amazing. It is definetly an option and does not cost anything, lol.

Your right

I say that because that's what I did,"phantom" until we found another pair of forte ll's for 3 across the front. It was Ok, but only because we had a wide room 24',(sitting 18' back) when we got the second pair to give us a center I moved the mains out to the width of the room, it's a giant sound with them that wide and a perfectly matching center.

But in close I think phantom is much better than a center that don't match perfectly. Even in stereo the sound comes from the center anyway.

I think of this when I see pictures of really small rooms and the center is almost directly on the side of the mains, if there that close you could save the money on the center and get a little better mains or use the money for something else in the setup.

Our plan was 3 pair of heresy's and a sub, that plan changed when a pair of Forte ll's came up 2 hours away, it took about 2-3 years to find 2 more pair. But I'm feeling much better now....[:P]

imo

I always understood that the KLF-C7 was the center of choice for use between Cornwalls or Lascalas. Am I wrong?

i actually did literally hours of research. The trend is starting from best to worst...

1. la scala

2. heresy

3. academy

4. c7

There is a toss up between the heresy and academy. The academy, as i read, might serve better as center for movies and blending in with front very well. The sound just comes at you and you can not pin point the speaker. The heresy, as i read, you CAN pin point the speaker a little more but sounds "richer/deeper" sound. Better at higher volumes....but BIG and doesnt look as nice sitting in center. I do not care for looks....Please correct me if i am wrong

I listen to mostly music so i am leaning towards heresy. In future i will purchase another la scala and place in center and heresy will go towards rears.....

Please correct me if i am wrong I listen to mostly music so i am leaning towards heresy. In future i will purchase another la scala and place in center and heresy will go towards rears.....

I won't say your wrong. I'll just try to offer up a different thought process.

I was 19, off to college. Did I need to buy a pair of LaScalas and stuff them into the dorm? no.

I liked what I heard though and knew that "long term" I wanted a pair so, I bought them and....stuffed them into my dorm. Today, I still have them. I have NOT had to go through the buy small & upgrade later process/expense.

That said.....looking back on what I did in life, I'd look at:

1. Where are you?
2. Where do you want to be?

I would target where you want to be and buy for that knowing that today, it's a compromise but, nothing is forever and when change comes your way, you will already have paved the road.

So, forgetting all the above, I would then fall back to say, bigger is always better.

I've HAD an Academy between my LaScalas. Could I hear it? I guess so. I would however, rate it as an epic fail. Not only does it not keep up with the LaScalas, it's got different horns so it's not really a sonic match.

If I were determined to buy something smaller now & upgrade later, then I would simply look at my space and ask, what is the LARGEST center that I can get away with?

Will a LaScala work? Yes = buy one & be done forever No = next choice
Will a Cornwall work? Yes = buy one & be done until possible upgrade, No = next choice
Will a Heresy work? Yes = buy one & be done until possible upgrade, No = next choice
Will a phantom work?

(subtle point there is I would personally stop after a Heresy and never again consider an Academy between LaScalas)

That's just me with my predispositions.

Sorry Alex, I really thought the C7 was the best fit between your Lascalas. If a pair of Lascalas become available locally maybe we could split them to give us both a Lascala front stage.

It's totally cool Michael. I would really love to put a la scala in the middle but I really don't think it will fit or be reasonable in my town house. I'm in the market now for some heresies....

Alex

If you're going the Heresey route, Fyrpwr is selling a single HIP-BG in the "Pro" section. That just might be your ticket for a center channel. Yes

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/160745.aspx

Would the pro version really sonically match up with standard La Scalas? It does look like a great deal on a near mint pro La Scala for $450.

I have La Scalas as fronts in my music setup . . . Was looking for an Academy center, but see it is wiser to go another direction. Alex, couldn't you split a pair of La Scalas with finallygotmyheresies and use the La Scala as a center for a perfect match? You could move your electronics to the side . . Or leave just even the electronics stand in front of the center La Scala with your tv staying up high like it is since the electronics would still be low enough to block nothing more than the La Scala bass bin. Not sure how much room you have beyond the boundaries of the pic. Just a thought.

Picked up these bad boys:) Now i just have to paint them black.....

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/165133.aspx

So i now have two heresies. I have done my reading. I know alot of people have advised against using 2 center channels. Those that do use 2 center, im speaking about 2 heresies, love it and say it sounds amazing. Obviously i am going to try one, then both speakers and setting them up differently to figure out what sounds best. Thought i can maybe get some input from those with experience which way to set them up as center would sound best.

I think i am going to use them both vertical right bellow the TV, sitting on the little entertainment center. I read from some one that they putt one bellow and one above the tv. I am considering trying this out as well. What do you think?

Alex