An alligator in the street... HUH?

jhoak

So I walk out of my garage a few minutes ago and notice something odd in the street at the end of my driveway. At first I thought it might be one of the neighbors kid's toys. Then it started walking. Sure enough A small alligator. It's about 18" long and in no real hurry to go anywhere.

My house is a little under 1/2 mile from the nearest body of water so this little guy has been out for quite the stroll this morning.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sounds like an escaped pet to me.

You think? He wasn't wearing a collar so no tags. Maybe his owners had him chipped. [;)]

This area is thick with alligators. They're in every lake, pond, and canal.

More likely he took a hike up one of storm drains on my street. They all empty in to the nearby lake.

That would have been quite a climb though. My house is .44 miles from the lake and 130' in elevation above the lake.

So what if you step on it and the mama is nearby?

Things get real ugly real fast.

As a teenager I lived in a house that was on a canal which led in to a pretty good sized lake. There were LOTS of alligators around. The house next door had been empty for a while and canal edge on that lot had become very overgrown.

Early one morning I was down at the canal drowning a few worms and wandered over near the overgrown area. I'm guessing that momma alligator had eggs in the nest because she came at me mouth open and hissing.

That's the moment that I discovered that I could run backwards almost as fast as I run forwards. Yea... That pair of Fruit-Of-The-Looms hit the trash can.

I'm not sure were The Wall of Voodoo is located. What state do you live in? I was working a powerhouse about 30 miles from Hope Arkansas and was staying at Millwood Lake. There was signs saying "beware of alligator'. I never seen anyone swim. I didn't know there was alligators in Arkansas.

I'm not sure were The Wall of Voodoo is located. What state do you live in? I was working a powerhouse about 30 miles from Hope Arkansas and was staying at Millwood Lake. There was signs saying "beware of alligator'. I never seen anyone swim. I didn't know there was alligators in Arkansas.

He's in south Florida.

The "Wall of Voodo" is located in Okeechobee, FL

I'm actually in what's referred to as "Central Florida". I'm about an hour east of Tampa and an hour southwest of Orlando.

Alligators are pretty common around here but this is the first time in the 28 years I've lived here that I've seen one in the front yard.

• Moderators

They must be moving this time of the year for some reason or another, so it seems ?

So today I'm on the tractor in the back yard about 10' from the pond, and I look over and about 25' from the edge is a alligator just swimming along. In 15 years we only had one other alligator about 3 feet long in the pond and it was a few years ago, so I was surprised to see this one. We do swim in the pond, including the grandkids so this is not good, this one is probably 4' long.

I will try to get a pic, dead or alive.

"More likely he took a hike up one of storm drains on my street."

Could be.

I used to see beavers come out of the storm drains right off the river here, one day I saw a beaver come out of a storm drain 1.9 miles away from the river. I wondered what he was thinking?

They must be moving this time of the year for some reason or another, so it seems ?

More than likely it's the poor economy forcing the move, and he's looking for a more up-scale neighborhood. Maybe find some place where the chickens grow on trees.