Onkyo or denon????

Scrappydue

So I think I have narrowed my decision down to the 5508 from onkyo which can be had for 1449 or the denon 4311 for 1249. Both refurb prices. Never owned a denon. Not opposed to change at all. Both have xt32 which is a must. Sounds like the denon can go in pre mode and turn off amps. Anyways wondering if anyone has moved from onkyo to denon and what you liked better. Primarily for HT but who doesn't listen to music too.

Sub, the 5508 is a dedicated processor. And denons dedicated processor is way more. If I'm gonna spend 3500+ I'm gonna get a used anthem d2 or something. But I'm not wanting to spend that much. At least not at this point in my life.

IMO, I would go the flagship preamp/processor route before I went with a 2nd tier receiver route, even though the Denon is pretty sweet, less expensive and has been highly praised publicly. I know weight does not mean everything with electronics, but the Onkyo has no onboard amps but still tips the scale at 30.9lbs, while the Denon receiver weighs 38.2 with (9) onboard amps.

You have all the amps you really need so why pay for a big prtion of something you may never use. Unless your plan is to go to a nicer more modern prepro later on and want to move the Denon to another room.

Bill

Onkyo has no trigger for the amps.

According to onkyo.us there are three assignable triggers with delays on them. I was just wondering if the denon was better for music but just as good on home theater. I know I don't need the amps. But the denon processor is Buku bucks.

Onkyo has no trigger for the amps.

The Onkyo SC5508 does have 12v trigger operation for main room, zone 2, and zone 3. I am not sure about the TX-NR3009.

Bill

I called Onkyo about triggers before and they told me that they do not have any receivers that triggers can be assigned to your main zone. You may want to double check with them, but those assignable triggers may only work in zones 2 and 3.

I was just wondering if the denon was better for music but just as good on home theater.

From my understanding, with Audyssey MultEQ XT32, the playing field is much more level for HT and music with most of the XT32 equipped mass produced pre/pros and receivers.

Hey, just go get a NAD T175HD like I did and you would be able to answer that question easily.[;)]

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/nad-t175hd-preamp-processor-with-manufacturer-s-warranty--8

Give Spearit Sound a call and maybe they will work with you on the price.

Scrappy, just trying to confuse you even more.[*-)][:D]

Bill

Scrappydue, i would go with onkyo processor (for cost only), i have the Denon AVP-A1 HDCI it is a beast (runs hot thou) i use four fronts and four surrounds and two centers and two subs. and still could hook up more. if you want 7ch full stereo sound (where every speaker sounds like the fronts) the AVP-A1 is it. For music or HT sound is great, you can put it in pure direct mode and it will play with four fronts (2 rca, 2 xlr). The only problems i have with it is it does run hot and some xlr connections in the back have quit working due to poor connections from the cables sagging (That could have been my error, used poor xlr cables).

If you had the cash i would say go for the avp-a1, with that said Denon and Marantz are releasing new products this year and the avp-a1 is 5 years old but upgradeable

avp-a1 pops up on audiogon for about 5,000 with the upgrade

I know i dont have a profile of my equipment and this is my 2nd post, but i do own the avp-a1

I have heard onkyo and like there sound also

Hope this helps

Bill have you ever used any anthem products?

I have not but their pre/pros are considered the standard by which all are measured.

I think if I steer past 1500 I would maybe want to try anthem avm50. Can find those sometimes for 16-1800

There are some really good non HDMI flagship pre/pros out there for not a whole lot of money(B&K Ref. 50 S2, Anthem AVM30, etc.) but if you want an HDMI equipped Anthem pre/pro that also decodes the lossless BD codecs(Dolby TrueHD, DTS HDMA) you have to step up to the AVM 50v and it is much more than $1800.00 used. More like $3000.00 ++ used.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/anthem-avm-50v

Bill

Wow you are right bill. All this time I thought the upgraded v version was only for 3D. Didn't know the older one didn't do what my old onkyo does. Kind of a let down. Well them definitely not going to get a new version of either of those. Do you think the 5508 will be a ladder move or better sound and video?