Driver Comparison for the K 402 Horn

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fastslappy,

I haven't been hiding as I just returned from being in SC, for most of September. We have finished all of our FlyingEvents for the year and I am finally back in Charlotte.

As to the sound, the K 402's with the TAD Drivers are an excellent choice to go with the Jubilee Base Bins. It is as clean, clear and crisp as any Top End, Two Way Speaker out there. They are truly as good as anything that I have heard, as long as they are set up properly. Some of the drawbacks are; the cost and future availability of the TAD Drivers. There are other 2" Drivers that work well with the K 402's, including the two offered from Klipsch. Klipsch has spent years developing the Top Ends for the Cinema Jubilee's and any of their offerings will do justice in a Home theater setup. IMHO, there are other drivers that are equal to the TAD's, at a lower cost. The Electronic Crossover (DX-38) is personally not "My Cup of Tea", but that does not, by any means, say they sound any less impressive than Passive Two Way Crossovers. They are just plain becoming much harder and expensive to find. For several reasons, I plan to stay with the Martinelli's and Passives in my personal setup. Dave's Eliptrac 400's are also an excellent choice to mate up with the Jubilee Base Bins. I personally like the Beyma CP 750ND Drivers, but the Klipsch line of drivers also does an excellent job, of reproducing the Top End.

Coytee is right, as the Acoustamass was a very close SECOND in the testing............[6]

I'm not sure why "future availability" is a factor. Your home audio setup is not like a road rig that will get pounded day after day and must be easily and quickly replaceable so the show can go on.

I bought my Dx38 used and don't know what year it is, but it sits there silently doing its processing, and probably will continue to do so for decades to come. Anyway, there's now a Dx46 in E-V's product line, which may work equally well.

As for power amps, it is simpler to have matching bass and treble amps, for consistent tone/timbre from bottom to top, as well as for gain/power matching reasons.

Also, the big Jubilee box is a bass bin, not a "base bin", even if it is the base that the tweeter sits on. [;)]

Claude,

We tried the Beyma's, JBL 2482's, K-69 with the K-402's. I am setting up a MiniDSP to try with them and I will post my results soon. I'm fighting with Building Standards at the moment and it is consuming a bunch of time.......Fighting isn't the right word...."Detailed Discussions" would better fit the situation........For some reason, they like to Drag things out....guess they figure you will give up......!

post-57654-13819802445036_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Since DrWho has thrown in 1" drivers now for polar reasons and quality performance involves more than just polar response in the real world I think a person has to ask what have you lost in performance going from 2" to a 1" driver?

Is it possible that the area that a 2" driver excels could have a higher priority than where the 1" driver is going to excel?

Until I hear different I believe I will stay with 2" Drivers/Horns for 2-way designs.

I would argue though that it makes more sense to have an unfolded horn that covers the 80Hz to 1kHz bandwidth and then add a subwoofer, rather than try to cover 40Hz to 500Hz with a folded horn and run no subwoofer...but then you're not looking at a Jub LF anymore, and then a higher xover frequency makes the 2" less interesting than a 1" in my opinion.

Maybe one of these days I'll actually get around to building one and then we can have some blind shootouts [H]

This precisely the direction I have gone with my 5 foot "L shaped" MWMs derived bass horn. The next best thing to straight from 60-600 Hz. then to a K-402 and tweeter.

• 7 years later...
On 7/29/2012 at 3:20 AM, Chris A said:

Sound stage width and height, in addition to reproduction presence, is what you'd be missing in addition to crisp percussion strikes. Once you've heard time-alignment in A-B with incorrectly aligned speakers, you'll not soon forget the experience.

When you get to small groups such as jazz, blues, smaller classical ensembles,and folk groups, the effects of small time delay differences can be heard clearly, especially with sounds that are impulsive like drum sets and other percussion. Some of the most demanding recordings that I have is of percussion ensembles with string orchestra accompaniment. Others include violin and pianoforte concerto and solo instrument recordings.

Nothing other than time alignment of drivers/horns can remedy the effects of misalignment. If you listen to a full-range driver system, you'll also hear the effects of time alignment except that in this case you'll also have to endure significant amounts of FM and AM distortion during musical peaks, reproduction of bass with hfs, and louder passages to hear the time-alignment effects.

Chris

So is this time alignment something new ???   was it not here in K-Horns . Belles, LaScalas ???   or was there a delay in the passive crossovers ?