New room follows flood

We had a pipe break in the bathroom and it flooded all but the master bed and bath room so we have new floors through the whole house now, as well as new paint etc, etc!

This room used to be a mixed use room but as nearly everything we owned was boxed up and placed in storage until the repairs were done, it was a good time to convert the room to a 2 ch room only!

There still isn't any artwork on the walls etc but you can see the bones of the room now. It is 11 x 13 x 8 with the closet located behind and to the right of the chair. Most of the gear is the same as I have had for a while but I did score a good deal on the dual CD player, a new in OEM box, old stock, rack mount CD player. I had a choice of a single unit for $45 or this one for $75 (yes there are more!) The single unit has XLR and RCA outs while this one is RCA only but I do not have a XLR input to the preamp so there wasn't a great loss there.

I had a new problem though as the CD player has two outputs and I only had 1 input on the Preamp, I bought a passive, 4 ch stereo splitter/combiner with reostats for each channel. I have always wanted to drop the output of the preamp to the amp as this match was a little hot and I was never able to turn the preamp up over about 0 to 30% of total available output. This splitter/combiner also can be used to adjust each ch independent from each other so I used Ch 1 to drop the output of the preamp to the amp and used Ch 3 and 4 to combine the outputs of the CD player. A very nice and easy solution to both problems and low cost to boot from Parts Express, about $85 total with adapter cables.

As the room is now 2ch only, the Cornwalls are moved out a bit more into the room to give them air and it makes a huge improvement!

I have spent more time in this room in the last week than I have in the last year and I have enjoyed the room more than I have for years! Well more room treatments ect will follow but it is nice to just sit and listen now...... again!

post-14862-13819799927802_thumb.jpg

In truth the CD player is DJ gear but it does a GREAT job, it is a solid bit of kit and has features such as pitch adjustments etc that I will never use. It is supposed to be able to auto switch between the two players also, if it is setup properly.

All in all, it is a new start with the same old gear and it is bringing a smile to the face every time I turn it on!

The "boss" really dosn't care about what I do in there, she just closes the door when it is too loud..... in the other side of the house [:$]

It all came out very nice but there were some scarry moments to be sure. We came home from shopping and the first step in the front door went SQUISH and I knew it wasn't a good thing!

I USED to have wires on the ground, multiple outlet bars on the floor etc, the water was the level of the top of the carpet so all the connections were above the "water line" but not by much. Not only was the 2 ch room affected, the TV room was too and I got very lucky that NOTHING electrical was damaged. I did have some delam on the vanier on the risers of the Cornwalls, the bottom inch or so of the riser was sitting in water but the speakers themselves were safe.

The risers dried out fairly fast but like I said, I had a littl gluing to do where I had delam. We must have had 200+ gallons of water in the house, the bottom foot of most walls were removed so that the heaters/dehumidifiers could dry them out then everything had to be replaced so it was a fairly long process.

We have GREAT insurance and they covered 100% of replacement costs but like I said, we added hard wood to most of the house except for this room, one bedroom and the HT, which all got new carpet.

This is the same room that the Cornwalls used to be in when Larry came to visit but there is a LOT less stuff in there. I have a feeling that this is a GREAT time to donate to Goodwill etc all the stuff that works but I have not used for a long time. Like most people we have a lot of stuff pile up over the years and though I had been intending to go through it "someday" our hand was forced and in the long run, we will be better off by having my lazy butt forced to go through this stuff. Anyone want a really nice commercial L shaped desk made by Hon? To members of the board, it is free for the hauling away, it is NOT going back into the room!