Took me 54 years to finally get the sound I was looking for - New Cornwall guy!

jackpollard

Hello all;

This is going to be a longish thread, so please relax and hopefully enjoy. Just to set the mood; Garcia/Grisman 'So What' os current;y spinning on my new to me 83 ##Y#### Cornwalls in birch, but they were stained and are still beautiful. A few weeks ago I put an WTB and long story short meet speakerfritz (Mike) at exit 3 on the NJT. What was I thinking? I had a perfectly good pair of VS VR3's in beautiful condition. Driving them are a pair of Pass Aleph 3's, plenty of Class A power. I've been looking for a 'sound' for most of my adult life. Never had a ton of cash, we raised 8 kids and still have a 13yo home, that pretty much sucks the bills out of you. But, I've been through my maggie years 1.6's, loved the mids, but... Then lately Totem Hawks, again liquid mids, but... So as not to go through years of equipment, I found a nice pair of VR3's along with the amps, nice sound, but... I saw a great deal on a AES (Cary) tube super amp, so like a mental tape worm I can never get enough, I think I will try it! The guy starts talking about his Cornwalls and it snaps in my head, oh yeah! My uncle had a McIntosh/K-horn setup back in the 60's and it hit me like a ton of bricks - Thats the sound I'm looking for. So, WTB, Mike, NJT. I did not get the amp as of yet, but tomorrow!

I get home on Fri. after meeting Mike, drag the ton speakers out of my car and proceed to wrench my back so bad I can't move. What is this a joke! But, I did mange to hook them up, damn the pain. Anyway, 1st impression, very simple; sounds like the way music should sound! In my mind, thats the sound I was looking for. There is a certain depth and presence that I hear, that makes me just enjoy the sound. That simple. So, I have $1400 worth of bi-wire speaker cable, what should I do with it? I used, gasp, puke, cheap speaker wire wire. It's a pretty thick gage, but puke, how can THAT work? What very expensive speaker cable should I lust for?

Anyway, I finally understand why I've read reviews of these 30 year old speakers that raved about them. I guess what I don't get is why ''audiophiles'' frown on them? I think that played a role in why I did not look at these for such a long time.

So, I have not opened up the backs, but couple of questions, I have to make this a bit of a q&a or I'm afraid I would get booted out of this forum.

How do you take the grills off? These are the cane grills and I would not mind cleaning them. Also, I was going to take the backs off to see whats in them. I understand that I should really think of changing the caps and crites is the man. Any major difference between the caps, oil, etc? As for the x-overs, I think I may just a bit, I'm enjoying the sound right now and will be tube rolling on the AES shortly, but, I have to say, these may be the 'One'. Last question, position? I have a decent sized room, however I don't really have a corner. They are about 2.5 feet out from the back wall and my amps are in back of them. I have them toed slightly, but always enjoy suggestions. Yes, I have been reading everything on here, but do like feedback.

So, thanks for reading this bit of a ramble, thanks to a great guy (Mike) and look forward to being a member of your club! The 'Wow I love my speaker club' that is.

Jack

Congrats on the Cornwalls! many of here have had very similar "I found the sound I was looking for" moments, thanks for sharing yours. before getting into crossover changes, etc. give them a nice long listen. I would say a few months at least, to really identify what short comings you may still identify with this new speaker/system combo. Once you are sure what you want to change then you can consider the various options; source components, amplification, cables, crossovers, horns, drivers, etc., etc. the most important thing is you, like many of us, have found the sound you like, enjoy! warm regards, Tony

After getting my Belle's, those cornwalls were parked for months in my living room....they sounded great and I really wasn't thinking of selling them until I saw your post and figured why not...might as well let someone else put them you use.

but they were stained

just to clairify....not stained like flower pot rings, etc...but the prior owner did a DIY oak coloring on them....

How do you take the grills off?

the grills are velco on, so if you start on any edge and pully them up...they will come right off.

Any major difference between the caps, oil, etc?

you can spend crazy money on caps....I think V-Caps are probally the most expensive. Not sure what type of caps are in those cabs....backs were never taken off....they could be the yellow cigarette butt sized film ones, black square film ones , or a combination of white tubular film can black square film caps. I do not think they have the tin can looking poly in oil caps....unless someone reverted back to a prior xover version.

I'm happy you are enjoying them....

Thank you all for the fantastic feedback, you do know how to make someone welcome!

I wish I knew like some of you did, what I was looking for when I was young. I could of really saved a boatload of cash. But, then again, I did enjoy the ride.

I will definitely wait before I do any mods, well ahem, I say that right now. But, as some of you have said, that upgrade bug goes deep. But, I plan on taking the backs off and investigating whats in them. I will also take some pics tomorrow and post them, I have to straighten up a bit.

Mike, speakerfritz, was an excellent seller. Heck, I had to convince him to take gas money!

When I said stained, I did mean completely and nicely stained, it looks very nice, no issues with that. I did notice there are small, maybe 1/2 wood 'frames' on the bottom. I'm not sure this was common, but I will take a picture.

Thanks for the technical points also; I will check out what mine are and ask some advice and of course search and read.

So, please accept me humble thanks for your welcome, I hope to contribute and enjoy!

Jack

I did notice there are small, maybe 1/2 wood 'frames' on the bottom. I'm not sure this was common,

the risers....they give a nice look while raising just a bit...there are also tilt or slant risers which work better for small rooms

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all again;

I thought I would share an update with everyone, I finally found my audio nirvana and its actually thanks to 2 members here.

I shared that I picked up the Cornwalls from a member here, thanks Mike M. Well, I actually picked up the Cornwalls to match with an AES Superamp I picked up. It's a great amp, serial num 8, upgraded parts, etc. But, for me, something was missing. I think because it was setup in Ultraliner mode as opposed to Triode. But, whatever it was, I knew I had to keep looking. When I saw a comment regarding a Hogan amp, well I had to ask about it. I knew the reputation and legendary sound. Long story short, thanks to another Great Mike, I just hooked up my Hogan 6sn7/76/300B amp and was blown away by the sound. For me personally, its the sound I have been searching for. Music sounds like it should, period. I'm sure there is better, maybe I will end up upgrading the x-overs, caps, etc., but I think its like adding a touch of salt to a great meal.

Thanks to everyone who added comments and all those fantastic old posts.

Jack