I am thinking of getting a summer job

Kain

Right now I am 17 and in school. But my school will be over on June 21. But for the summer, I was thinking of getting some small job that would earn me some money that I could add to the home theater I will hopefully have.

Do you have any recommendations to where I should go? Should I try an A/V store or something?

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" Direct View FD Triniton WEGA)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

KAin64,

With the home theater setup you are planning to get, you better get 3 summer jobs. I have a not bad paying full time job, and my wife has even a better paying job. We do not spend extravagently, if fact were probably considered pretty cheap.

It was all I could do to buy the Reference 7 setup I have. If fact, I had to buy a Denon 3802, a 32" TV, and I still don't have a sub nor a rear center speaker (no money, imagine that). But I am sure glad I went with the R*-7's and didn't settle for the R*3's. It is really easy for me to upgrade now.

Good luck with your dad.

-PB

If you could land a job at an A/V store that would be great. Don't know about the job situation in Dubai. You might want to talk to your father about this. He may know of a job, or have friends or associates that know of a job. Are you a citizen of the U.A.E. or a foreign national? If you are a foreign national, it may be impossible to get a summer job.

Here in the U.S.A., most summer jobs are in seasonal industries like amusement parts, or in service related industries like fast food restaurants, etc. Competition for summer jobs is pretty heavy. In most parts of the country there are usually many more kids looking for jobs than there are jobs.

In California, if you want a job bad enough, you can get a job in farm labor in many parts of the state. Very few kids do this. Its is literally back breaking work for low pay.

If you really want the job so you can have a better system, don't give up if you are not successful at first. Keep looking. Good luck!

Be warned a job at a audio video store may be dangerous!I started working part time while in school and almost all my pay started flowing in electronics.

After I became an experienced sales expert(LOL)I found a job in a store with true quality gear(High-End)to this day I shop there and even with a much better paying job I still sink the sink. cwm27.gif

Even if you make over $100000/year you can spend(read waste) amost of your revenue.Audio is a pit with no end,unless you make over $500000/year,then you'll be set for a year and then...MORE MORE.

Darn,being an audiophile is complaicated.You must balance priorities and audio nirvana.

Dont end up like me,please.Or you'll need deep pockets to satisfy the audio cravings.Stay alert and just say NO THANK YOU

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Best summer job was working for Manpower when I was 18. Once you know the horror of being called at 4 am for some "industrial temporary work" it really motivates you to work hard to make sure you don't do it forever.

------------------

Two Channel System:

Klipsch Fortes (1988)

Jolida 202a

Rega Planet

Denon DP 3000 tt (Stax tonearm; Grado Gold cart.)

Get a job.

its great experience.

Then you can stop pestering your father for the stuff you want and actually earn it (or at least make a significant enough contribution to make him feel ok about helping you out). My father would never have even considered buying the system you are suggesting. He'd tell me to get a job and stop whining.

Get a manual labor job- you can get outside, get some exercise, build some muscle (chicks dig that), and learn some respect for money. Also, since you haven't finished school yet- it is pretty much the best paying area for you to work in. You have your whole life to sit behind a desk.

Maybe it's just that Midwest work ethic speaking (I'm originally from Missouri) but learning to work is very important. I started mowing lawns when I was 10 and have been working ever since. After that, I did some construction (hod-carrying= lifting 70lbs of bricks or mortar over your head, up scaffoldings all day long), stocked groceries, worked in a restaurant, ran political campaigns (don't expect much money there), temped, and done other odd jobs before I entered my profession.

do it- it's good for you

Larry

quote:

Originally posted by KAiN64:

Right now I am 17 and in school. But my school will be over on June 21. But for the summer, I was thinking of getting some small job that would earn me some money that I could add to the home theater I will hopefully have.

Do you have any recommendations to where I should go? Should I try an A/V store or something?

before going out for money, reading kyosaki's "rich dad poor dad" might be inspiring. it's about smart ways to get money.

------------------

imel

This message has been edited by imel96 on 06-19-2002 at 11:23 AM

Great summer job with incredible pay would be like UPS or FED Express. All the same reasons.. Pays better at entry, your ok to be a temp. And if you get the graveyard shift, who cares?? 11PM- 7 am... Sleep till noon. Have your afternoons free to have fun, and make some great $$ Good Luck. I had several friends that did this in HS and College in the summer that were able to make serious $$$. Also, by lifting packages 50 lbs or less all night / AM, they had some great muscles at the end of the summer too.

Good Luck!!

This message has been edited by IndyKlipschFan on 06-19-2002 at 10:07 AM

UPS makes great money, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I had a friend who loaded trucks @ night in college. I heard stories about them kicking the boxes onto trucks and shutting off the conveyor belt to rack up overtime. It is amazing how irresponsible grown men can be. Then they go on strike and ask for more money.

Don't get this job- it will make you lazy and convince you that screwing around all night is worth money. When you enter the real world, this mindset will backfire.

Get a job that is fun, gets you outside, and, hopefully, intorduces you to attractive women. Try being a lifeguard. Buy a Mustang convertibe. You have to have interests beyond audio. You're only 17 once- enjoy it.

Larry

lne937s

UPS makes great money, but I wouldn't recommend it.

(UPS pays good money to people who WORK.)

I had a friend who loaded trucks @ night in college. I heard stories about them kicking the boxes onto trucks and shutting off the conveyor belt to rack up overtime. It is amazing how irresponsible grown men can be. Then they go on strike and ask for more money.

(These "unions" have destroyed a lot of businesses, IMO, that worked just fine without them. The strike persuaded UPS to change and ended what was at one time a great proud NON union company. And what a shame.)

Don't get this job-it will make you lazy and convince you that screwing around all night is worth money. When you enter the real world, this mindset will backfire.

(Actually, working hard at something every day to persuade yourself to do better in life, is a great motivating factor. If your around "turkeys" and your an "eagle..." You learn to rise up and fly away. I know a guy who painted the inside of new school buses, and installed the drivers seat for three summers. Here in Indiana, in the JULY and AUG. heat.. Unfortunately, he saw a bunch a "yahoo's" that were still doing the same job in their 30's 40's 50' 60's who were barely out of HS educationally wise, whose only motivation was fast cars and fast women... and lets get drunk! This persuaded him to go to college get a degree, complete his MBA and do ANYTHING ... besides that. I know "someone" has to do it, but you get my point.)

Get a job that is fun, gets you outside, and, hopefully, introduces you to attractive women. Try being a lifeguard. Buy a Mustang convertible. You have to have interests beyond audio. You're only 17 once-enjoy it.

(Not all "jobs" are fun. Work worth doing takes commitment. But you choose at 17 what you want to do or not to do I guess. Hey work at the movie theater if your into movies, or a music store if your into music. Both places, I assure you, will have lots of women. If he is looking to making the most money LEGALLY and still have time to have fun, I still stand by my suggestion as good one. With the cash he could make in an hour at something like this, verses sitting in a tower at some pool ... baby-sitting a lot of kids who are dropped off at the local country club, or worse in a city park pool...sunburned..at work very early everyday, 7 days a week, mixing chemicals...Cleaning the "doodie" out of the pool. (Caddy Shack) Or a beach....Setting up chairs.... Let alone the time and money to get certified.. All this at "minimum wage" or barely above and weekends too. Geeze. And how you gonna have enough money for that Mustang convertable on a "LIFEGUARD" salary)

Larry my message to you, for what it is worth..

That was just my point. Enjoy the days you have as a kid. Work some hours at night, sleep in till noon, and have your afternoons and evening for dates, movies, concerts, etc., with cash in hand. You may even be able to afford some great KLIPSCH speakers too.

I assure you that this is NOT how UPS or FED express works here in Indiana. Perhaps even as GREAT as NYC is, and it is.. It is also why it is also sometimes called the WORST of everything a city has to offer too. (With lazy, over inflated egos, with no real work ethic. Oh and how much can the government give/or do FOR me too.) OK, sorry that was a little hard... Please, this is not a slam on you, personally.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I am not a union guy, but this sounds like a typical union answer to get more $$$ from successful businesses, and why our country, and what we teach kids today about work ethics today is failing.

And to think you said, "Maybe it's just that Midwest work ethic speaking (I'm originally from Missouri) but learning to work is very important." From a guy who lived in the SHOW ME state?

Just me, in the "Fly over area," for those on both coasts. You probably call em cornfields, with us living in Indiana here. (BTW, just as a side note, only 3% of Indiana's GDP is agriculture too.)

This message has been edited by IndyKlipschFan on 06-21-2002 at 09:29 AM

My friend @ UPS was in Springfield Missouri and he was told to turn off the conveyor belt by his union supervisor. I had another friend who quit there because he couldn't stand the inefficiency. Most people in the midwest are not like that.

There is also a job, given on the basis of patronage, that entails only opening and closing a gate. This person is not allowed to do anything else, and typically moves maybe once twice an hour.

Maybe UPS is different in some locations but the stories I hear combined with my communiucations/experience with them in a number of different locations leaves me unimpressed.

I don't want to bash unions too much- I firmly believe they have their time and place. However, many of them are overinflating the incomes of the lazy and uneducated.

And, while the scumbags live here as well, to make it in the corporate world here it takes a lot of work. There is an amazing amount of competition, since the top spot is so high. The job market is amazingly tight, competition fierce, and- in this economy- market weak. I make more money from overtime than I do from my salary and rutinely pull all nighters. And the same can be said for everyone in my department- people don't see their families for several days at a time. I don't know about the rest of the city, but Madison Ave. is populated by workaholics. People seek this place out to have challenging careers- most of the people I know are transplants.

As far as tax money goes- yes there are dead beats. However, as Rudy was proud to point out, NY pays significantly more in federal taxes than it recieves. It all breaks down to simple math. In NYC, what is consideded to be a typical single family home easily costs around $1,000,000 in addition to a required $500-$700/month upkeep contract(about the same as my parent's house payment). A Manhattan 1 bedroom apartment costs $1500- $2500 per month. In order to afford these prices, as well as the property taxes, people have to make more money. However, the tax brackets do not change- so a person pays more in federal taxes in relation to standard of living. In addition, tourism brings in taxes. On the cost side, while there may be more services, they are spread out over many more people. Making a one mile road for 20,000 people is much more cost effective than for 2. That figure doesn't even include all the commerce that passes through this city.

It is amazingly easy to be lazy in the midwest. When I was in grad school, I payed all my bills working 2-3 days a week (I had to concentrate on school). I was always busy, but I had acquaintances who slacked off all the time and still had a relatively high standard of living. When rent is only $300 an month and food is cheap, you don't have to work very hard. People like that would be homeless here in a month.

I found when I started being short with people that it isn't really rudeness, but that I really don't have time to talk to everyone I meet.

I guess my point is- if you're going to do something, do it well. If you want a fun job- make sure it's really fun and you enjoy it. If you want to make money- make lots of it. If you want to work hard- do so. The only win-win situations in the real world are an illusion, and will catch up with you eventually. If you don't believe me, find me a well-paid environmental lawyer that doesn't work for an oil/chemical company. Do what you want, but don't pose as someone working hard while screwing around and milking the system.

And remember- nobody owes you anything- count your blessings.

Larry

Beast

When I was your age I was mowing lawns like crazy.

Even with a cheap push mower like I used, you can knock one out in less than an hour. Use a riding mower and it's even easier.

Charge $20-$30 per typical subdivision sized lawn.

The trick is getting a row of neighbors right next to each other.

With a riding mower, you can make $50/hr easily (more than I make now). Granted, you probably won't have too many jobs, but a couple hundred a week can't hurt.

And besides- all that pushing motion will get you ready to throw blocks in football.

But remember- just about anything is worth your time right now. You have no bills and (depending on your parents) all the money you make goes to buying luxuries. Looking at marketing data for music, electronics, and movies- the luxury spending power of teenagers is amazingly high, so you may come under the impression that these circumstances will last your whole life. When you grow up, you will have to carefully allocate money after taxes and bills to get the things you want.

I didn't see any of the money I made untill years later- my parents invested it in bonds that helped me pay for college. In the long run that is a good thing and I'm glad they did it. However, it was tough when, after working all day, I couldn't afford a cassette tape (remember those things?).

Unless you have genuinely important obligations- go and get a job, even if it sucks. You'll have more spending money rather than playing the same video game over and over.

good luck

Larry