Looking for knowledge with musical equipment

Fotog

Am posting here as a first step in trying to get some advice answers. I have a high opinion of the knowledge base here and trust someone can help steer me in the right direction.

I am trying to piece together a one man band outfit that is portable and has good sound. Due to some "free" stuff I am trying to use a pair of Electro Voice 100A monitor speakers http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/STARINMANUALS/Bosch%20-%20EV/Sentry%20100A.pdf mated to a radio Shack 40W PA amp http://support.radioshack.com/support_audio/doc73/73142.pdf and have just ordered a TC Helicon LiveVoice 2 vocal processor http://www.tc-helicon.com/download/manuals/voicelive-2/VL2_details_US_v1_3.pdf .

1st question is can the EV 100A monitors be used successfully in PA duty? If so, are there any special things I need to do besides plug and play?

My Guitars are an Ovation 1717 Legend and a Hagstrom Viking Deluxe w/ tremelo. These are played through a Sound City Concord amplifier (mine has Fanes)http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2012/Apr/Rare_Bird_The_Sound_City_Concord_Combo.aspx + http://www.harmonycentral.com/products/84524 and an assortment of pedals including an OCD, Boss reverb, Line 6 tremelo, and a Line 6 DL4. And an Alesis SR16 drum machine.

The Shadows style is prominent with 60's rock and country mixed in. Backing tracks are expected to be part of the package.

So - is there anyone here with any insight into what I am trying to package and might offer me some guidance and advice.

Have you heard of Steve3PO..........robotic drummer in David Crowder band? Do a search, you'll find some neat videos of how it works. A must for a 1 man band. I'd call Crowder and see if you can buy it. They broke up and it's home built.

The other guy you need to research is Zack Deputy. I've seen this guy and he is incredible. One of the things he does is creates the songs one insturment at a time live and records loops of them while he talks to the audience at times. Then fires away with all of it at once while playing drums, bass, or guitar and singing along.

An answer to your first Q: Those monitors are probably too small to give you a satisfactory full vocal sound over a fair distance. They are near field monitors and were designed for indoor listening at close distances, less than 10 feet. They may be OK though. If they are unsatisfactory you should look into portable monitor systems...... Like the Fender passport systems.....[8]

Yeah, you're going to need different speakers. You might want to checkout the Yorkville line of Unity speakers. They have superior directivity control and can put the sound where you want it better than most other PA type speakers. Also a powered mixer would be convenient as that Radio Shack amp is probably going to run out of steam real quick. There's decent ones made by Peavey, Behringer, Yamaha, etc.

Don't listen to Schu. Nothing wrong with Ovation. Hagstrom Viking ~ nice! Always liked Hagstrom.

Nothing wrong with Ovation.

i agree with Arto--nothing wrong with Ovation, i've played many...not saying they're the best; but, i do like them. Played many a Martin--they're nice too. I really like Guild; but, next on the list for me is a Brian May Rhapsody Acoustic. Sentimental reasons mostly, a good guitar sure; but, have met Brian several times, so I'd like to have one his guitars.

Yeah, you're going to need different speakers. You might want to checkout the Yorkville line of Unity speakers. They have superior directivity control and can put the sound where you want it better than most other PA type speakers. Also a powered mixer would be convenient as that Radio Shack amp is probably going to run out of steam real quick. There's decent ones made by Peavey, Behringer, Yamaha, etc.

Don't listen to Schu. Nothing wrong with Ovation. Hagstrom Viking ~ nice! Always liked Hagstrom.

Thanks. I'll try to sell or trade the speakers and amp. They came from a business conference room and "free" was hard to pass up. The Ovation 1717 Legend is a really nice guitar. Bought it in the 80's and it has aged really well. Great tone. The Hagstom Viking Deluxe was a 55th B-day present to myself. Had wanted a semi-hollow body for many years and I really needed a tremelo bar for my style of play. Considerd a Guild and a couple of Gretch's but the Hagstrom won out. It has an incredibly fast neck.

Had wanted a semi-hollow body for many years and I really needed a tremelo bar for my style of play. Considerd a Guild and a couple of Gretch's but the Hagstrom won out. It has an incredibly fast neck.

Very happy that you like it, after all that is what is the most important. I have a Gretsch and love it, and will most likely end up with another Gretsch one of these days. Never played a Hagstom; but, i think i'll take a trip to the guitar shop this weekend and try one.

Very happy that you like it, after all that is what is the most important. I have a Gretsch and love it, and will most likely end up with another Gretsch one of these days. Never played a Hagstom; but, i think i'll take a trip to the guitar shop this weekend and try one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/hagstrom-tremar-viking-deluxe-electric-guitar

They can be hard to find. Mine is Black. Gorgeous finish.