debating a change...

Scrappydue

ok guys in recent thoughts i have been wondering if once i move home if i will ever have a house that will give me the room for my dream theater, a living room theater, as well as a dedicated 2 channel setup. my wife gave me the go ahead to purchase what i wanted, and can afford at the beginning of this year. so everything i own minus the tv and the onkyo has been purchased since january. well recently i have been thinking of condensing the 2 channel setup and the living room setup to something a little more musical than the rf-42 ht. so i went to a stereo hifi store, and gave some paradigms a listen. particularly the studio 60's. now i was not super impressed with the digms with movies. i mean dont get me wrong they sound great but they dont compete with the rf-63's and my svs for the volume that i watch movies for. now where they did shine was with music. first when i went to hear them the guy told me they should have more midrange. i didn't hear it at first. so i arranged an appointment to bring in my speakers. i took the wf-34 over the rf-42 since i think they sound better with music and did strictly 2 channel listening. man was he right. they just made the wf's sound like they had zero midrange. the digms just sounded richer and more full bodied. now to defends klipsch as i still love them to death, i also took my heresy ii's. these sounded better the wf's with music for sure, but they still lacked the midrange that the digms had. so all in all i have been contemplating having my rf-63 setup, and then selling the rf-42 set, the wf-34 set, and all my 2 channel stuff and just going with a good musical 5.1 for my living room where most of the listening every day will be done. the digms seem a little pricey for the difference in sound you get over what i payed for both klipsch sets. but i have been reading more into aperion grand verus towers. which seem to get tons of reviews. and looked at svs's new ultra towers. they seem to have in interesting layout and shape, which would cancel reflective waves internally similar to b&w 800 series speakers as well as the digms higher end stuff. both seem to be similarly priced but the svs seem like they are gonna be a more power hungry speaker which will be tough since i recently bought the denon and really love the unit just not a powerhouse. any thoughts are welcome guys. i know no one will know anything about the svs as they are not even out yet, but looking to see if anyone knows of aperion or any other warmer, similarly priced speakers out there for a good 5.1 setup.

Depends on how big your screen is going to be too. If you go

projector in an ht type of room I would put the 63s and svs in that room. Matching

sound to screen size is over looked a lot in ht discussion imo. I just don’t see

the 42s keeping up with a 120” screen for example. Also klipsch reference

speakers are movie speaker’s first imo. So for two channel I would guess you can

find better.

so all in all i have been contemplating having my rf-63 setup, and then selling the rf-42 set, the wf-34 set, and all my 2 channel stuff and just going with a good musical 5.1 for my living room where most of the listening every day will be done.

If it came down to it and I had to sell all my speakers except for one pair, the 63's would stay. I love the sound of my Heresys, Heresy II's, Quartets, and RB-35's, but I think the 63's have something special that would be hard to give up and coincidentally they get played the most in my house. I love how smooth they are with 2-channel music and balanced with my 5.2 system.

Paradigm does make some sweet sounding speakers.

Bill

The Paradigm speakers due sound very nice and would make a great 2 channel system. From my perspective, Klipsch is definetly better than most speakers in the bass department and for HT. For two channel listening I have always thought bookself speakers in a nearfield setup on stands, were the most musical. It all comes down to preference. Bower and Wilkins and Paradigm have a more prominent midrange in IMHO than Klipsch's because the bass is not as strong. When I demo, Klipsch, Paradigm, B&W and Goldenear side by side, Goldenear was the midrange winner and B&W's for warmth. Good luck with your new project, I am sure your ears will be the final judge Every multi-purpose system has some compromise that comes into play. I chose Klipsch's due to the Hi's and distictive bass sound of the Reference speakers.

Depends on how big your screen is going to be too. If you go

projector in an ht type of room I would put the 63s and svs in that room. Matching

sound to screen size is over looked a lot in ht discussion imo. I just dont see

the 42s keeping up with a 120 screen for example. Also klipsch reference

speakers are movie speakers first imo. So for two channel I would guess you can

find better.

Ref head the 63's are my biggest set. They will be in the theater room along with the svs. Shooting for a room big enough for a 143" 2.35 screen. We shall see though. There is no question those are staying. Pondering on my living room setup though.

The Paradigm speakers due sound very nice and would make a great 2 channel system. From my perspective, Klipsch is definetly better than most speakers in the bass department and for HT. For two channel listening I have always thought bookself speakers in a nearfield setup on stands, were the most musical. It all comes down to preference. Bower and Wilkins and Paradigm have a more prominent midrange in IMHO than Klipsch's because the bass is not as strong. When I demo, Klipsch, Paradigm, B&W and Goldenear side by side, Goldenear was the midrange winner and B&W's for warmth. Good luck with your new project, I am sure your ears will be the final judge Every multi-purpose system has some compromise that comes into play. I chose Klipsch's due to the Hi's and distictive bass sound of the Reference speakers.

well these would not be for a near field setup. They will be for a good size living room and a 5.1 setup. Your right in that multi purpose gives up but that's the beauty of keeping the rf-63 setup in a dedicated theater room and the other setup in the living room a little more geared towards music rather than just movies. And the bass was equal as could be in the two I compared. Now granite I wasn't listening to 62's or 82's but then that wouldn't be an even size comparison. Price wise they are 2500 so about rf-7ii status but we all know those would sound much bigger but still don't think those would sound quite as musical. Plus I don't want anything that damn big in my living room.

ok guys in recent thoughts i have been wondering if once i move home if i will ever have a house that will give me the room for my dream theater, a living room theater, as well as a dedicated 2 channel setup.

I think you are way ahead of yourself. You may find that house with the dream theater room but have to sacrifice with a smaller living room or just the opposite. IMO, I'd wait until I find the house and pick my system accordingly. Of course if you are building that changes everything.....

just my .02 fwiw [:)]

Lol, classy dudes being classy dudes. Tasdom made a great point though that shouldn't get glossed over in the funness (yes, thats a word ;) being had. Figuring out what the space will be first and then deciding sounds like the best advice so far to me.

All this talk about "warmth" has my PWK BS Button flag going off, so bear with me here a second...

Are you absolutley certain it's not bass you're looking for in oppostion to more midrange?

IME, there is nothing "warm" about any tones in the 500-2500 Hz region. Huh?

hollow, I have no clue what hertz certain things are,but I can tell you what I was hearing different. Arlen Roth cd I had all the strings sounded fuller on his guitar I felt more like someone was sitting in front of me playing it vs the wf-34 and the heresy sounded a little thinner. And also I took a live John tesh cd which my mom gave me a long time ago and it has quite a few things to listen for. One track breaks into a bunch of solos. Bass guitar, drums, bongos, and a great timpani solo. All of these sounded warmer. Fuller. I mean had I not heard them side by side I would think the klipsch was playing them just fine. BUT after hearing them side by side I'm thinking all the reviews saying klipsch lack just a little bit of midrange maybe some are correct. But who knows. My ears aren't anything special. I'm young and I've been working on very loud jets and living on aircraft carriers off and on for the last 8 years.

I think I'm going to make another appointment and take in the 63's and compare those side by side with the studio 60's. that should be a more even comparison taking price into consideration and the 63's are to date the best sounding klipsch I have heard.