1975,1976 & 1977 Heritage Logo Poll

mpgwagon

You should have included 1977, since that is when the changeover occurred...LOL! Maybe even 1978, too, in order to confirm it...LOL!

My Heresy HDBL models are 1978 models, but they have the INCORRECT for that year Pie-slice Logos, as I have already stated...as do a very many speakers bought by employees after the changeover in 1977!! Mine are also of a cabinet style that had already been changed to another style in 1977...even though mine are 1978 speakers...serial numbers: 52S699 and 52S700

Mine also have the signatures of all the plant employees on the speaker backs...LOL! Quite possibly the ONLY ones ever made like that!! A bit of Klipsch "history" one might say! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

I bought a pair of Heresy's HDBR new in early 78, undoubtably these were built in fall/winter 77, came with the rectangular logo. Have K-55-V's dated Sept of 77. I was at the dealers when the boxes came in, the logos were already on them. $460 as I recall, used to have the original receipt, can't turn it up just now. Frown.gif

Tom

Flush-front style of Decorator Heresy stopped in 1977, sometime in the fall of that year...but flush-front style of Decorator Cornwall continued into 1978, when it was changed. Only a handful of pairs of Decorator Heresys in the flush-front style were built in 1978...for employees only...from nice matching parts I had saved back under my worktable for future purchases by employees. I may have actually built a pair or two of these as late as 1979 for employees...but once those parts were depleted, that was it!!

It seems like just after the flush-front models stopped being made, I was constantly arriving at my work table after lunch to catch employees looking through those stacks of matching parts I had saved back...and putting their names on sets of them for future build by me...In my opinion, nothing looks better than a really nicely matched pair of flush-front Decorator Heresys with a few coats of clear laquer on em!!

The wildest pair of flush-fronts I ever built was for Judy Harris...they were absolutely gorgeous!!...but not exactly something that would match just any decor...the wood had EVERY COLOR IN THE RAINBOW IN IT...and it was all swirling around all over the place!! Really a mind boggling pair of Heresys!! I have never before...nor since...seen birch plywood with color like that in it...and I have seen literally TONS and TONS of birch plywood over the years!! I believe she put some Industrial Heresy motorboards in hers later on, too...the black metal grilles like on mine!!...to protect the woofer cones. Looking at her Heresys was like looking at one of these color astronomy pics of a multi-colored gas Nebula!! Really something to see!! Hers were finished in time for Christmas of 1977!! She was really grinning when everybody was talking about how cool they looked, too!!

When production of the flush-front decorator Heresys officially ended, I probably had enough sets of parts saved back to build about 25-30 pairs of them...they went pretty quickly, because the plant workers knew they would not be made anymore!! "Get em now, or never get em at all!!"

Although all employee-purchased speakers got special consideration as they went from being built to being boxed...the actual PRODUCTION employees' speakers were given even better "royal" treatment!!

It was a case of: "If you build these really nice for me, then I will see to it that I sand yours really nice for you...paint yours really nice for you...do a perfect alignment job on the component mouths for you....etc...That's just the way things work in the production environment!!!

It was kinda strange to see hurt looks on faces of employees if you didn't pick them to do the particular departmental task on your speakers...that is why I had two different gals in the sanding room do the sanding on mine, so as not to hurt any feelings!! Frances did one, and Ola Mae did the other!! Hell, if I hadn't given each one of them one to do, I would never have heard the end of it!! They were BOTH the best there was!! Smile.gif

------------------

MPG,

Believe whatever you want...I started working at Klipsch in July of 1976...just about a month after I got out of the Army...and the pie-slice logos were in use at that time. The changeover to the rectangular metal ones occurred in 1977. I was there. Now, that doesn't mean they didn't use some of them in 1976, BEFORE I started working there, but it DOES mean that they used the pie-slice logo from the time I started working there until sometime in summer of 1977.

As for those who have speakers built before that time with the rectangular logo on them...there is no way to guarantee that they actually CAME with that logo on them from the factory unless the present owner was the ORIGINAL purchaser!! And you DIDN'T phrase your question very well in that area, did you?

And when logos got damaged or fell off, they couldn't be replaced with the pie-slice logo UNLESS it was still available, and it wasn't available after the changeover in 1977!! One of the reasons given for the logo change had to do with the pie-slice logos falling off the speakers because they didn't stick well....so they began gluing them on...and that took alot of employee work time...I remember that too!!

You say yours came with them...I accept that...but you are also attempting to destroy MY credibility by saying that the changeover occurred PRIOR to when I say it did...and I was there at the plant every damned day!!

It is well likely that for a time before I got there, the company used the striped rectangular logo...but they weren't using it when I started working there...and it wasn't used until I had been there around a year or so!! And, whether the metal rectangular logo was ever used previously or not...fact is the pie-slice logo was "history" starting in latter 1977...plain and simple!! COMPLETE changeover(as I have already previously stated)...never to be used again...except on speakers built for employees who had "scarfed-up" some of the old logos for their own speakers!!

I will cede that your speakers had them...and possibly others' speakers too, prior to 1977...but I am also NOT a liar!! And I know what I experienced...and I experienced the changeover in 1977...nuff said!!

I remember very well how those individuals in shipping bitched about hands being cut by the sharp corners of those "new" rectangular metal logos while preparing the speakers for boxing-up, too!!

Looks like a Pyrrhic Victory on your end...but what I know is STILL what I know! Smile.gif

------------------

HDBRBUILDER: Chill!! I belive what you say and have no reason to doubt your word!! This poll was started simply to find out why so many 76's have logos that may not be correct. Not to destroy anyones credibility. Everyone responding so far with 1976 models all have the rectangular logo. I would guess these have all had the logo's changed. Or... the rectangular logo was in use prior to your arrival stopped and then started again possibly for supply or quality issues?? You have to admit this is strange.cwm30.gif

------------------

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/MYSTUFF.jpg

Tony,

It's sad that whoever has them will not sell some of them to those who have older speakers that have missing or damaged ones...don't you think? There are alot of older speakers that originally came with those pie-slice logos that now have either none at all or newer replacements on them, because they have been unavailable for so very long.

Alot of dealers kept a stash of them around for a long time because those logos were so prone to falling off, unless glued on...and for customers who had lost theirs after accidentally knocking them off the speakers.

If I remember correctly, the old pie-slice logo never even had a part number assigned to it, either!! I believe that all, or at least most, of the logo versions that followed the pie-slice logo had parts numbers assigned to them.

------------------