Best sites to download digital music

derrickdj1

I mainly use eMusic, but you have to sign up for one of their monthly plans. It is typically the cheapest, though (as little as 49 cents/track in many cases). Given that I listen to a lot of independent/underground music (power and progressive heavy metal), I often find eMusic to have quite a bit of the kind of stuff I am looking for. After that, I use Amazon. I've also downloaded the occasional album from Bandcamp and even more specialized sites such as Mindawn.com. Failing getting a decent album, I just order the CD from specialized labels/sites, such as Nightmare Records, CDInzane, or Laser's Edge.

I did check out HDTracks, but they don't really have much of the kind of music that I am interested in. Was cool to see the new Dream Theater and Rush albums on there, even in 96/24 FLAC. I may grab them and compare to the actual CD (which I have) to see how much better it may actually sound (my Pioneer Elite N-50 unit can stream/play those kinds of files).

I no longer'Download' Music.....I just play it from the 'Cloud'.....I use MOG.com.

I like that option of having it stored in the cloud. It is easier to keep organized!

One day I will learn how to string several quotes into one reply thread, hint, hint , help[8-|]

Dennie HD track sound like something I will look into. Quality is one of the things that is really important. I have a lot old download before it was outlawed and many are not great quality but, they were free, he he....

Skonopa, how do you like the Pioneer Elite N 50? I have not heard how much of an improvement you can expect from a 32 bit DAC.

I like that option of having it stored in the cloud. It is easier to keep organized!

I do J. River Media, Spotify and Amazon. An audio enthusiasts dream come true...almost. [;)]

I'll burn certain songs/albums to a cd. Occasionally these days I'll listen to my beloved tube cd player but these "cloud" deals are just so slick.....and they sound great. [Y]

Skonopa, how do you like the Pioneer Elite N 50? I have not heard how much of an improvement you can expect from a 32 bit DAC.

I friggan LOVE it! That thing is so versitle. I can "AirPlay" to it via iTunes on my PC or even "streaming" services ala Pandora, MOG, etc from my iPad. It also being used an outboard DAC for my CD player and my Via!DJ music server. I can also stream music from my file server via DLNA. Not only that, it can also stream "internet radio" directly on the unit. There are a bajillion stations out there of just about any genre you can think of. Also, you could plug a harddrive/memory stick/iPod directly to the USB port on the front of the unit and play music through it that way. Also, there is an Asychronous USB port on the back, so it can be used as a "USB DAC", which is nice if you have an "HTPC" in your rig.

pioneer-elite-n50004Medium.jpg

And, it really does sound quite good! In additon to being able to stream "hi-res" files to it (it can support up to 192/24), it also does a very good job with MP3s. It has something called "Auto Sound Retriever", which does some kind of interpolating algorithm that attempts to "fill in" the missing parts of low-res audio streams. It seems to work as advertised. I've ran crappy old 128kbps MP3s through this thing and it seemed to do a really job of "cleaning it up" and sounded quite listenable.

Ynis-Vitrin-N50Medium.jpg

I just went and downloaded Rush Clockwork Angels from HDTracks (in 96/24 FLAC) and playing it through the Pioneer unit right now. It does sound really good, though. Very clean and detailed.

Rush-Angels-FLAC001Small.jpg

Granted, it is a $700 piece of gear, but in the grand scheme of high-end audio, that is actually quite reasonable, considering just what you are getting here in this unit.

Thanks for the info and pic's. The sound retrieve function is nice and works very well, I hve it on my SC 35 avr. The N 50 sound like a great unit. I tried Amazon today and really like their prices and the cloud feature. I may experiment with a few other sites. Amazon mp3's are 256 kbs which is pretty good quality.

Quality is one of the things that is really important. I have a lot old download before it was outlawed and many are not great quality but, they were free, he he...

iTunes actually has a cloud service where you pay $25 a year or something like that. Then you can upload all of the tunes that you have, and if you have some low bitrate stuff that itunes 'matches', then you can delete the original file off of your computer and download it in 256k acc, which is supposedly supposed to equal 320mp3 in sound quality. I used this and got a few thousand tracks upgraded. Definitely worth the money. As for the original question, what kind of music are you looking for? Different sites have different stuff.

Oh yeah, google play as well. Free cloud services and if you have an android phone, yer set

I

No, I will just use a cloud service for home since I have a basic cell phone, no text, no internet, lol. I am thinking about joining the 21st century and get a new phone, ha ha[^o)]. I listen to a wide cross section of music, no hard rock or heavy metal. Lots of jazz and contemporary, top 40, ect.

Currently I'm using Spotify, the pay version that's like 10 bucks a month. Nearly everything I've wanted to listen to is available but as already pointed out it really depends on your personal listening habits. This brings up a very interesting point though. Currently there is NO LAW that will allow you to keep or pass down your digital music to future generations or loved ones, on the books. READ: Everything that you're paying for in "the cloud" or downloading digitally is not yours to own and pass on. I'll say it again for effect. Your $10 bucks a month/$120 a year or whatever you may be paying is quite literally thrown out the window at this point. Every CD youve purchasd thru itunes or others you do not "own". It "buys" you nothing tangible or physical that you can pass on. If, god forbid I passed tomorrow, my wife would "own" nothing that I've paid for. If your mind isn't blown at this point then it really should be. There is a huge artist (Billy Joel, I think) currently fighting for a law to be passed to change this but it is no where near being in place. At this point you may be saying, "Yeah, so what, it's in the cloud, I already know I don't own it" . It's not that simple. This also includes ANY MUSIC DIGITALLY PURCHASED THROUGH ITUNES OR LIKEWISE, YOU DON'T OWN IT. EVER. At this point you cannot "pass on" digital collections. Period. I would strongly recommend against purchasing anything digital at this point. "Rent" music though Spotify or the like or buy your music on CD. Anything else is throwing money into the wind and hoping it lands back in your own lap. Good luck. Do your research.

Cloud service is utterly pointless if you are just using it from home. The point is to be able to access it everywhere you go! If you are just listening to music at home, then your normal hard drive would be perfect. I would say for the stuff you listen to, the sites you are already frequenting will be plenty enough for you.

Currently I'm using Spotify, the pay version that's like 10 bucks a month. Nearly everything I've wanted to listen to is available but as already pointed out it really depends on your personal listening habits. This brings up a very interesting point though. Currently there is NO LAW that will allow you to keep or pass down your digital music to future generations or loved ones, on the books. READ: Everything that you're paying for in "the cloud" or downloading digitally is not yours to own and pass on. I'll say it again for effect. Your $10 bucks a month/$120 a year or whatever you may be paying is quite literally thrown out the window at this point. Every CD youve purchasd thru itunes or others you do not "own". It "buys" you nothing tangible or physical that you can pass on. If, god forbid I passed tomorrow, my wife would "own" nothing that I've paid for. If your mind isn't blown at this point then it really should be. There is a huge artist (Billy Joel, I think) currently fighting for a law to be passed to change this but it is no where near being in place. At this point you may be saying, "Yeah, so what, it's in the cloud, I already know I don't own it" . It's not that simple. This also includes ANY MUSIC DIGITALLY PURCHASED THROUGH ITUNES OR LIKEWISE, YOU DON'T OWN IT. EVER. At this point you cannot "pass on" digital collections. Period. I would strongly recommend against purchasing anything digital at this point. "Rent" music though Spotify or the like or buy your music on CD. Anything else is throwing money into the wind and hoping it lands back in your own lap. Good luck. Do your research.

This is simply not true. You *can* pass on your tunes. You *might* need a password to do so(depending on how you have your accounts set up), but it is possible. If you really want to safeguard yourself, then you can always convert the acc to mp3 and burn it to a disc. The physical media thing is a bit of an argument in itself (and it's still possible as CDs are still available for purchase), but my entire point is that you can still transfer songs from one another if you want to. My wife and I's macbooks are networked in a way that anything I download goes to her compter and vise versa, so it's not impossible.

Cloud service is utterly pointless if you are just using it from home. The point is to be able to access it everywhere you go! If you are just listening to music at home, then your normal hard drive would be perfect. I would say for the stuff you listen to, the sites you are already frequenting will be plenty enough for you.

So do you load up your Khorns and Tube amps and throw them in the back of your pickup?[:D]

If I purchase albums from Amazon I can play them via the cloud or download them and put them on my flash drive? This is what my intent was. I have Sirius in the car and a place for a usb flash drive. At home I have Slacker, Pandora, Internet radio and a few others. I would still like to put togethe some playlist without paying a monthly fee and own the digital music that I purchase.