Newbie questions..

PRXLink

Greetings,

Been bantering back and forth with co-workers that own B&W, Martin Logans anfd Klipsch. After much (months!) debate and previewing various makes/models I decided that Klipsch were the ones for me.

I've owned a PC Promedia 2.1 set for years that kick butt and a KSW1252002 but my have wanted to sideline my 30 y.o. JBL r133's for awhile. Anyhow yesterday I picked up what I think was a great deal on 2 RF-63's - mint condition - they look like new. So now I'm looking for a matching center and probably a receiver upgrade.

I'm running a 10 year old Yamaha RX-V596 that claims 100 watts RMS and have been happy with that and seems to drive the RF-63's pretty well.

So my real question is would the RC-62 ll be a proper match the 63's or do I need to dig down and save for the RC-64 ll and would the latter overwhelm those 63's in front? Also what would be sufficient for the rears? I really like the RS-52 ll but price! UGH! hink of t

My main listening area is 15X15 with 10 ft ceiling.

Appreciate your thoughts!

PR

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums and to the Klipsch family!

Anyhow yesterday I picked up what I think was a great deal on 2 RF-63's - mint condition - they look like new.

With the RF-63's, you may never get the notion to upgrade. They are very good speakers both for music and HT.

Matching center is the RC-64. It is timbre matched to the RF-63 and RF-83's.

So my real question is would the RC-62 ll be a proper match the 63's or do I need to dig down and save for the RC-64 ll and would the latter overwhelm those 63's in front?

If it were me, I would get the original RC-64, not the RC-64ii. The newer RC-64ii is not voice matched to the RF-63's plus you can get an RC-64 much cheaper than you can an RC-64ii.

Also what would be sufficient for the rears? I really like the RS-52 ll but price! UGH!

As far as rears, Klipsch recommends the RS-62's but even the RS-52's are very capable. I had a pair of RS-52's with my RF-83 setup and I never felt they were lacking in any way. I just purchased my RS-62's and they are indeed an upgrade with more presence and impact but I'd say if you can get a good deal on a pair of RS-52's, you will be very pleased with their performance. Unfortunately, Klipsch recently has made it difficult to find the Discontinued models. The original RS-52 or RS-62 (not the newer RS-52ii) are what you are looking for.

My main listening area is 15X15 with 10 ft ceiling.

Very close to my room size. My room is 13' x 19' with 10' ceilings. [:D] You can see lots of pics in the two links in my signature.

Welcome to the forum.

Anyhow yesterday I picked up what I think was a great deal on 2 RF-63's - mint condition - they look like new.

Excellent choice

So my real question is would the RC-62 ll be a proper match the 63's or do I need to dig down and save for the RC-64 ll and would the latter overwhelm those 63's in front?

First, I would search far and wide for an original RC-64, then the RC-64II(different tweeter but should be okay), then the RC-62II. Believe me, the RF-63's will not be overwhelmed by any of these center speakers. IMO, any of these surrounds will work just fine: RS-35's(I have them), RS-42's, RS-52's, RS-62's.

Bill

I really put the 63's through a a bunch of music today both with and without theatre effects - unbelievably

clean when turned up - seems like the more power you put into them the better they sound! - challenge is

going to be finding a set of 52's or 62's and an RC-64! I got lucky finding the 63's so cheap.

Thanks for your input!

Regards - PR

• Moderators

unbelievably
clean when turned up - seems like the more power you put into them the better they sound!

You are correct. The 63 and 83's begin to really open up as the volume increases. That was one of the main reasons why I added an external amp (220 w x 5) to my setup. Receivers can sometimes run out of gas when driving 5 and especially 7 speakers. With the added headroom from the Parasound, the 83's sound great even at low volume.

I purchased rs-52 speakers from Elitedemo a while back. He is good to his word and took great care in the packaging.

Don't hesitate to trust him in the process, its a trusted forum member and not at all like a random Craigslist transaction.

Side note...I am a few short weeks away from hooking up those RS-52s for good...I can't flippen wait to hear those things shine.

Pathos

Grats on your RF-63's! Those really are a fantastic speaker, I've got no doubt you will be extremely satisfied. One thing to keep in mind is with the RF-63's, you might want a decent presence as far as subs go. If you don't have anything you plan on using now, I think you would be happiest considering that, then looking at center, then looking at upgrading your receiver. Your receiver really should be fine, but there is no question you will get a decent upgrade by upgrading to separates. However, the amount of upgrade would be much bigger with getting a good center and sub.