RS-52 vs RS-62 Comparison

Youthman

Another excellent review Youthman!

I knew the sizes were quite a bit different but had never seen them compared side-by-side like that. The difference is quite a bit bigger than I thought. I am pleased to hear you are noticing a size difference. It's usually disappointing when a manufacturer has premium models for premium prices, but not a huge sound difference, so glad to hear this isn't the case.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

I knew the sizes were quite a bit different but had never seen them compared side-by-side like that.

As you can tell I really enjoy taking photos and sharing with others. I figure that it might be beneficial to others to not only share what I hear but also what I see in side by side comparison. It's part of the fun for me. [:D]

It's usually disappointing when a manufacturer has premium models for premium prices, but not a huge sound difference, so glad to hear this isn't the case.

To my ears (and they aren't audiophile quality), there is a noticable difference between the RS-52's and the RS-62's. How much more are they worth over the RS-52's is relative and subjective. As with every upgrade, there is always the "Law of Diminishing Returns" at work. I believe the MSRP between the two models was $700 vs $1000. In the used market, if you can find the RS-62's for around $200 - $250 more than what the RS-52's are selling for, IMO it would be worth the upgrade.

Regardless, both are great surround speakers, by far the best that I have ever owned.

I know you say you’re cheap youth but if you look at your
room it would be pretty hard to convince anyone of that lol (just saying). I know
you got really good deals on most of your stuff used but just to hook all your
gear up alone would cost more that some people total budget. I know what you
mean though just giving you a hard time. [:D]

• Moderators

I know you say you’re cheap youth but if you look at your
room it would be pretty hard to convince anyone of that lol (just saying).

Shhhhhhh....don't let the wife know. Haha.

There is no doubt I have spent a good amount of money (over several years) on my HT but as you have stated, I have been blessed to have found some really awesome deals along the way that helped make it obtainable.

I think a lot of us, and myself included, never dreamed we would have the systems we do now. For me, it was only possible because I waited for some good deals and was willing to wait. Until my midlife-crisis happens, I don't think I'll ever be the guy that can go out and grab an entire set of something at retail.

• Moderators

I think a lot of us, and myself included, never dreamed we would have the systems we do now. For me, it was only possible because I waited for some good deals and was willing to wait.

That plus choosing to build it over a period of time helps as well. Couple hundred here, couple hundred there is much easier to do than a couple thousand all at once.

Thanks for the review. It makes me feel better about my RS-62II purchase =^) Reference is right about the oppo tho, have you read my review? Link is in my sig, I compare it to the PS3 which I was satisfied with as well. Even looking for a used 93 will most likely be worth the step up. Plus, you'll be able to start digging into multichannel music =^D

• 2 weeks later...

Youthman - thanks for the post. Your room looks wonderful and I'm sure movie nights are bliss at your house! I appreciate your grateful attitude for the setup you have. I think we're all ike av gear heads who will always find SOMETHING to add to the Christmas list, but appreciating that what you have is better than almost everyone else you know is a good thing. Great pics - thanks!

• Moderators

Thanks akdave. We definitely enjoy the HT as a family...well everyone but my wife. She feels "unproductive" to sit down for 2 hours. She would rather be training for her marathon that she is running in January. [:D]

I'm am blessed far beyond what I deserve and have slowly built my HT over the past 3 years. Craigslist and Bartering have saved me a ton on the project. I enjoy sharing pics and reviews of various gear in hopes that it will help someone down the road as they research what system to put together for themselves.

I know this forum has been a HUGE help to me along my journey and I hope that I will be able to contribute to the benefit of others along thiers.

I love it when a plan comes together, quick question Youthman. What happened to your surround backs, I noticed in a couple other pictures in the past that they were missing. Maybe I missed the post were you explained taking them down. Your room is always looking so very nice.

• Moderators

Youthman. What happened to your surround backs, I noticed in a couple other pictures in the past that they were missing. Maybe I missed the post were you explained taking them down.

You are correct. I started out my HT with RB-35's high on the back wall. I had to mount them close to the ceiling (my ceilings are 10') due to the location of the entrance door that they were hardly ever heard. My wall mounts only angled downward 10 degrees which aimed them at my projection screen instead of the seats. The back row definitely never heard them as the back row is sitting right against the back wall.

I purchased a pair of RS-35's and had a friend fabricate a wall mount that would allow me to mount the RS-35's over and in front of a double sliding glass door. Mounting them on the side walls and much lower was a HUGE improvement in my setup and having a 7.1 was just too much for my Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver. It reduced the wattage from 130/ch down to 55/ch so I ended up selling the RB-35's.

I upgraded the RS-35's to the RS-52's and have just recently upgraded the RS-52's to the RS-62's.

Your room is always looking so very nice.

Thank you kindly. If you are ever down this way, you have an open invitation to drop by.