Bad CW bass!! treatment?

Arash

I have a CW with Bob's CW1526 woofs. they are so bass shy. the bass is tight but not lower than 50hz I think. I've heard them with tube and SS amps, no luck at all. I want opinions about "what's wrong?" [:(]

possible issues:

woofers are not broken up (they got ~100 hours of play time)

it's about dampening materials

it's about XOver

MJ has a pretty good answer. The woofers being out of phase is the only thing I could imagine. To troubleshoot that, just exchange the position of the positive and negative leads on one woofer and compare the difference. If the bass increases, you've identified the problem. If the perceived bass decreases, then that means the woofers were already in phase.

You could run them w/o the crossovers to rule out crossovers as a problem. The crossovers are also a place where the polarity might have been changed by accident.

MJ has a pretty good answer. The woofers being out of phase is the only thing I could imagine. To troubleshoot that, just exchange the position of the positive and negative leads on one woofer and compare the difference. If the bass increases, you've identified the problem. If the perceived bass decreases, then that means the woofers were already in phase.

That would work BUT if you choose the wrong one, the woofers will be in phase with each other but you'll have both woofers out of phase with the mids and tweeters. Best to trace the wiring.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Are these the speakers you built? If so, what is the crossover? Is the port (size & depth) correct?

the cabs are a 1989 CW cab which motor board is changed to CS motor board. nothing else (ports dimension) is changed. everything is what should be

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure it's all about damping materials. what to use? come on guys gimme a remedy :( I'm dying of this problem and I'm some kinda starting to change my mind to replace the Klipsch with a new kitsch product out there

do woofers need a break in period?! they got less than 200 horus

I've tried lots of different dampening materials in bass cabinets, but I always come back to the old fashioned fibreglass insulation. Seems to impart a warmer smoother sound to the bottom end. You may have to line over the top of the fibreglass with some speaker grill cloth to prevent the fibreglass from flying all over the interior of the cabinet with the air pressure from the bass driver.

My Cornwall I's seemed pretty bass shy as well, I used them with a set of KG 5.5's to help with the bass output. I changed out the old crossovers with a set of ALK Cornscalla wall crossovers and now the bass is much improved. I guess the 42 year old crossovers must have been shot because they sound great all by themselves now.

• 3 weeks later...