ADDING ANOTHER SUB. NEED DUAL SUB SETUP ADVICE.

HoustonIII

Just picked up another SW350. My current setting for my other sub is: AV Tuner is set at 80Hz. On the sub itself it is set at 80hz , volume at 3/4 and phase at 0. Its been sounding good so I put the new one with the same settings as the older one and placed it on the same wall but other side of the entertainment center. Any good advice for this from someone with dual sub settings etc is greatly appreciated.

Just found an answer maybe online. Keep both subs set on bypass and put the Tuner setting at 80hz. Volume still the same and sounds okay.

Still hoping someone on this site that knows more than myself will put this matter to rest and give advice!

What speakers and avr/amp are you using? This will allow others to help if they know a little more about your system. Is this fore HT and music? For my HT, I set all speakers to small, avr xo is at 80, phase at 0 on the subs, subs are level matched at 73-75 db individually before running autocalibration, and the sub xo is turned all the way up.Your volume may be a little high at 3/4, never go beyond that IMO.

OPPS!

AVTuner: Yamaha RX V471 5.1 Fronts: 2-KF30's. Center: 1- C30 Surrounds: 2- KF20's on 16 inch stands. Subs: 2- SW350. Yes it is used for both HT/music. My center is at small even though its a C3, but all the others are set at large. When I ran a YPOA it kept trying to make the F20's small, but I just changed it back. Those F20's are far from small and I the F30's are beasts!

What is an IMO and xo mean? I dont understand the terminology? My subs are set on bypass, but the setting goes all the way to 150hz.

What is an IMO and xo mean? I dont understand the terminology?

They are abreviations.

IMO = In My Opinion

XO = crossover

My subs are set on bypass, but the setting goes all the way to 150hz.

Set the controls on the sub to bypass or it's highest LFE(120Hz, 150Hz, etc.) setting.

Bill

Dont have a meter but put the subs as everyone advised (bypass) and my tuner is at 80hz. So is keeping my other speakers that I listed earlier set on large a logical move based on their size? Though as stated also my center C3 is set on small. Thats the only one, the rest are on large. Fronts: KF30's and my Surround/Rears: KF20's.

Set everything to small regardless of the physical size of the speaker. If you don't, the speakers will get a full range signal and possibly give you phase issues with your subs. Setting them to small allows your receivers crossover to filter the low stuff from your speakers and sends it to your sub.

If you set all the speakers to large, why use a sub?

Should I Set My Speakers to Large or Small?
People always ask
this question. The answer is very simple. If you own a subwoofer that outputs
good bass sound, you should set all your speakers to SMALL. In general, if you
own a subwoofer, it may be wise to set all your speakers to small for several
reasons:

1. When there is an overlap of bass sound from the front speakers and the
    subwoofer, you will get bloated and boomy bass.
  2. A subwoofer can play low frequencies all the way down to 20Hz or lower. Even
    relatively large front speakers cannot go that low.
  3. The placement of a sub in a room is the primary factor in receiving good
    bass sound. You cannot adjust the position of the front speakers and move them
    to the side or back.
  4. If the subwoofer and the front speakers play the same bass frequencies,
    there will be a possibility of phase cancellation of certain bass frequencies.
  5. Redirecting the bass to the subwoofer relieves the receiver/amplifier from
    having to work on reproducing the low frequencies and this greatly improves the
    headroom.
  6. If you are using the Audyssey MultEQ calibration, you will get much better
    bass performance because the MultEQ subwoofer filters have 8x higher resolution than the filter for other speakers

People have a psycological
difficulty with the word SMALL. They have spent good money on their front
speakers and get insulted when the AVR sets them to SMALL. Remember that this is
not a personal insult against you or your speakershttp://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95817

LARGE = The speakers are not Bass Managed.
SMALL = The speakers are Bass
Managed.

I have read a lot about the reasons to set the speakers to small -vs- large and I understand the reasoning. I just don't much care. I have RF-7's and two RSW-15's which are more than capable of "good bass sound" and a B&K 200.5 amplifier which has no problem with "headroom".

I just prefer the way it sounds after having listened to it set to small. And that's why I set them to large. Because I like it that way.

I have RF-7's and prefer them set to large. Everybody says to set them to small but I don't like it that way- it doesn't sound nearly as "full"- like it's missing something. I say do what sounds best to you and forget what's "proper set up standards".

[Y][Y]

I have the RF-7IIs and I also experimented with large and small and yes in my setup as well large sounds way better and fuller! And while the 7s have good bass it isn't overpowering or that deep rumble in your chest bass so it blends nicely with my subs. The sound stage seemed to open up way more and they sounded way bigger....had that majestic sound.....but I also have a separate amp powering my 7s.....I understand the reasoning.....boomy bass or possibly having your AVR distort from having to work harder.....but neither applied to me or you it seems....as others have said.....follow the guidelines and see how it sounds but experiment....that's the fun thing about our hobby.....there are so many things you can change from positioning to crossover to enhancement modes etc......and they all sound different to different people.....one may like the changes while another hates it.....the guidelines are there to get you started....to get your feet wet.....and while you may be satisfied with the sound there is nothing wrong with writing down your settings and then tweaking a few things to see what sounds better.....that's what I did and that's how I got my systems setup to sound their best. My 82s also benefited from the large speaker setting.....alright I'm done blabbing [:P]