Friend hard of hearing

Taz

I thought I'd ask for advice here as this is my go to site. [:$]...............

I have a friend who is hard of hearing. She tells me that when traveling in a car she can't join the conversations with others in the car. Road noise and her hearing aids just don't allow her to follow the conversations.............. Does anyone have any suggestions that may help her? Or can point me in a direction that would? My thoughts run along the line of mic's that the others could comfortably wear that would transfer to a headset she could also wear comfortably that would transmit voices clearly without transfering the road noise. She also states that her kids don't visit much as she cannot follow the conversations due to background noise also interfering with her being able to follow the conversation........I dearly love her as a friend and would love to be able to do something that would help with this problem........She would never ask for herself, but I will. This would not be an x-mas gift but something I would like to do later. The expense issue also needs to be considered as I am far from wealthy. However I do see some performers singing into small mic's on stage that do not seem to pick up the background noise.........Will thank all for advice, teasing, or whatever in advance. By the way I've knew this lady since High School and we email back and forth from time to time. Her Husband does not feel threatened bothered by this, I asked him......[:)]........Taz

Does anyone have any suggestions that may help her? Or can point me in a direction that would? My thoughts run along the line of mic's that the others could comfortably wear that would transfer to a headset she could also wear comfortably that would transmit voices clearly without transfering the road noise.

Clearly the long-term solution is hearing aids: there are many types that noise cancel. I believe that there may be financial assistance from Medicare/Medicaid but I'm not up on this subject area. If her issue is hearing loss, then this is the option that I'd recommend.

If however the main issue is audio processing (and I do know a little about this subject, having family members with these type of issues, including myself) then sometimes the problem IS the background noise (I hate noisy restaurants and bars since I don't read lips that well. I also can't understand much on two-way radios when there is a lot of noise, such as HAM radio.) This isn't a problem in hearing, but an audio processing problem in separating noise from voices. If this is the case, then here and here are some stop-gap solutions that may not look as benign as hearing aids, but may be very effective nevertheless. These headphones and microphones actively cancel background noise, but allow allow voices to be heard in the presence of background noise.

Chris

Does anyone have any suggestions that may help her? Or can point me in a direction that would? My thoughts run along the line of mic's that the others could comfortably wear that would transfer to a headset she could also wear comfortably that would transmit voices clearly without transfering the road noise.

Clearly the long-term solution is hearing aids: there are many types that noise cancel. I believe that there may be financial assistance from Medicare/Medicaid but I'm not up on this subject area. If her issue is hearing loss, then this is the option that I'd recommend.

If however the main issue is audio processing (and I do know a little about this subject, having family members with these type of issues, including myself) then sometimes the problem IS the background noise (I hate noisy restaurants and bars since I don't read lips that well. I also can't understand much on two-way radios when there is a lot of noise, such as HAM radio.) This isn't a problem in hearing, but an audio processing problem in separating noise from voices. If this is the case, then here and here are some stop-gap solutions that may not look as benign as hearing aids, but may be very effective nevertheless. These headphones and microphones actively cancel background noise, but allow allow voices to be heard in the presence of background noise.

Chris

In a way, this would be something like what fighter pilots use to communicate. Perhaps the aircraft industry has a solution. My son has a headset thingy I bought him when he started taking lessons. They weren't cheap, but they had all the stuff built right in. I will do a quick search and see what's on the world wide interweb.

edit: OK, I just did a quick search and came up with http://www.sportys.com/headsetguide. It looks like the cost for noise cancelling aviation headphones is over $400.

That brings up the question of how to process the communication within the car. Planes have communication equipment built in, cars don't. Any ideas on that???

I understand what your friend is going through. I have been wearing hearing aids for a few years now, my newest ones have 5 seperate channels which cancel out certain freq. The aid still have a chance of not doing aproper job. But they do a better job than the old ones. A lot of times I just smile and shake my head.

When listening to music I have found out that it is better just to remove them and turn it up.

Best of luck

Cigarbum

John,

This is a cool thing you are doing for your friend. Great that her husband is supportive. I'm no help as far as any technological suggestions, but do understand the problem first hand, though my difficulty is not as severe as your friend. I have substantial trouble following a conversation on a telephone. That's a bummer when trying to talk to the kids.

I feel guilty of a misunderstanding. Thus to feel better I will explain. "By the way I've knew this lady since High School and we email back and forth from time to time. Her Husband does not feel threatened bothered by this, I asked him......Smile........Taz". He is not bothered by the email conection. We live on different Coasts. One East, the Other West. I just felt the need to be honest, as the missunderstanding bothered me. I believe I have found some hearing aids that will work. Now I just have to wait, and talk/email her and her Spouse................Taz

No problem, Taz, that's the assumption that I had when I responded. Unfortunately, hearing aids aren't usually not low-dollar, but the increase in quality of life is pretty dramatic, IMHE.

Chris

I'll be following this thread closely

My Dad at age 76 is in DIRE need of hearing aids but has been reluctant to admit it. This past Thursday during the trip to North Florida to pick up a pair of Heresys he finally said "I know I need hearing aids". That was a big BIG step for him.

Right now the sibilings and I are researching the best options for him.

Hopefully he'll follow through and get tested and fitted.

I know my Mom would sure appreciate not have the TV running at 100% volume all day long.

jhoak, email sent...........Taz............

I work on a loud unit and the echo's are terrible. Co-worker is very happy with new hearing aids. Have remote, restuarant setting which cuts down on background noise. She says she can listen to the radio/music while driving now. Anyone want her account, and copy of Brochure she sent me. Send me email with your email address and I will forward her statement, and copy of her brochure.....Cost Co.is where she got her's.........Taz

Co-worker got a pair at Cost Co. Here is what she has to say,,,,,,,,,John,.............

These hearing aids work very good. I purchase the remote control and I am able to turn the volume up or down when I need to. Also, there is a normal setting and a setting for resturant, when I use the setting for resturant, it removes alot of the background noise which can cause to mis-understandings on conversations and confusion, which can be embarassing. The hearing aids are great. I bought one from Belltone, was not very happy, 1 year warranty, the one hearing aid was $3400.00, and they pulled their offices out of this area, so I was unable to get the hearing aid adjusted. These were $2600.00 and remoted control was $150.00 which made it a total of $2750.00 with a 3 year warranty. I am very pleased. They also do internal cleaning every 3 months on the ear pieces and replacements (which is free). They work great in a vehicle while driving, and listening to a radio is nice. I feel this is a very wise investment I made for my money.............

Dee Cruz..............................

.........................Mom is also planning to get a pair from Cost Co.

.........................The have options to allow for TV to be played at normal volume. Only down fall that Dee told me about was that one needs to be a member of Cost Co. I can send brochure via reg email to anyone that wants. Mom said her's are more expensive. Not trying to push these. Just share info.

...........................Motorcycle and aircraft headphones don't work from what I've read as they need to be hard wired to radio. Still looking for more info though. ..[:^)].......Taz

My brother was in radar maintenance while in the military. He now has hearing aids due to freq. loss from past work. Good thing he has gov. medical support. Does all the eq. that you need to have things sound mostly normal. My bro is 66... kinda scares me as I'm 63.

Bruce

My brother was in radar maintenance while in the military. He now has hearing aids due to freq. loss from past work. Good thing he has gov. medical support. Does all the eq. that you need to have things sound mostly normal. My bro is 66... kinda scares me as I'm 63.

Bruce

Lucky he has medical coverage. The more I read, the more I realize I don't know. Looks like analog is old school and digital is way to go. Also important to find someone who has patient's best interest at heart and not the almighty dollar. Appears that as stated prior on this thread, new products have come a long way. There is even an aftermarket repair shop that will fix what factory will no longer fix. The more I look at this the more I realize I don't know. Some Audiologists/hearing aid sales people have same reputation as some used car salesmen. No insult to any members who are in used car business. Have met some car dealers that had my best interest at heart and given me excellent advice!