A digital SLR to video indoor basketball games?

JL Sargent

Our 3rd/4th grade basketball team might really benefit from watching a video of their games. I know many new SLRs can shoot HD video. But can these cameras gather enough light to video an indoor basketball game? I have my doubts about this. Which camera or what equipment would I need to pull this off?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

I don't know if this is good for a movie camera but F2.0 is good for a still camera. I was reading about the little Olympus camera and it looks impressive for a almost pocket camera.

It's called a ToughTG-1 iHS, waterproof to 40', shock proof to 6.5', crushproof, freeze proof and shoots 1080 p video and more. I have a dslr but you could take this little camera everywhere including in the water which is handy.

I know this didn't help, just something I found I would like to try.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/tough/tough-tg-1.html

I have a Canon D7 and it works fine in this kind of light.

However I personally find the fact it does not have an automatic focus while in video mode is a pain in the butt.

I would think a decent cheap camcorder would be a better fit for this.

As for the D7 as a camera it rocks. With 18 meg sensor and 8 FPS and no slow down til about 100+ photos. It is great for fast action.

I bought the camera from an individual on Ebay with approx. 4000 actuations. This is really low. Supposed life of camera is 150K. The lens I got from a camera store on Ebay. Might spring for the 50mm 1.4 lens later. I know that one can really shine in low light conditions.

I found a great video shot with this camera and the 5D MK II at Lucas's Skywalker Ranch.

http://philipbloom.net/2009/12/12/skywalker/

Utard, what setup did you use to photo the Milky Way?

I don't seem to be able to put photo's on this forum so it you have an email I can send you a shot that has all the shooting data in it. Just PM me with the email if you want to do that. Or if someone can put up photo's I could send you a jpeg. But it was something like mode TV...30 to 45 seconds shutter..... ISO 6400 .......F4.0......auto white.......most important is a clear sky away from citys. Closest city to this shot was delta utah. A city of about 3500. I was an hour west of there. Middle of nowhere.

I'll shoot you a PM with me email. The thing with a photo here. Click "options" tab, then add/attach file button, browse and find file, scroll to the right and save.It can't be real big though.

It sounds like you have a great place for skyward photography.

I sent them to dtel

Hopefully the files are not too big dtel.

I use Google Chrome and it does not seem to work very will with this web sites forum software.

Just in order to make spaces from line to line I have to type a bunch of crap or it gets all put in to one big lump.

JL Sargent I will send to you also so you can see the shooting info.

Also the photo software zoombrowser that comes with the canon works good if you have never used it before.

It sounds like you have a great place for skyward photography.

Its about a 3 hour drive from SLC but this is where I do my rockhounding. I look for Topaz, Garnets, Red Beryl and other gems and minerals. Just so happens it is very remote and has the best view of the night sky I have ever seen.