A digital SLR to video indoor basketball games?

JL Sargent

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice. looks good. And the color looks good.

What settings did you end up using for this?

I have not really used the video on mine much. I got for the still camera that just happens to do video.

Now all you need is one of those stability holder things to make any movement smoother.

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-SteadyVid-Stabilizer-Camcorders-Improved/dp/B008UUPUPM/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1355715362&sr=8-9&keywords=video+stabilizer

Not sure what size card you got? But you might want a big one for video?

I ended up getting a 32 GB for mine. I have never got the shot counter to drop below 999 even after a 4000 photo weekend.

I think i figured I could get 6000-7000 photos on a 32 GB flash card?

I used the full auto setting with a F2.8 17-50mm lens at 50mm for the most part. Shot in HD at 30fps MOV Raw then compressed to MP4 before uploading to Youtube. I do need to get a handle on steady. Never seen one like that Amazon link before. I'll have to check into that. On the card I'm using a 32 GB Transcend brand card. Seems to do fine. I believe I could record a complete game on it.

• Moderators

I have no experience with anything video, I have to say, that video is much better than I was expecting, much better. I didn't know what to expect especially reading some reviews of DSLR's doing video, but I think you ended up with just what you were looking for, and much more. [H]

Dangit! I learned one good lesson yesterday. If the subject appears to bright in the viewfinder then the subject probably is! I shot a video of my nephews pianos recital that would have been so much better if I had handled the spotlight they put on him better. Live and learn I guess.

On video files: Doesn't the camera save video to quicktime MOV only? Haven't really seen another format to save a video to on it. I'm under the impression that this is the standard right now.

• Moderators

I don't really care for RAW. If you can't get the shot at the time you are taking it then so be it. I am not a believer in Photoshop.

The goal of photography is to get it as close as possible but shooting in RAW and using Photoshop provides the ability to tweak and fine tune the image. One great advantage of shooting RAW is you are dealing with uncompressed images and if you overexposed / underexposed, you can easily recover what might be an unusable image otherwise.

i-shoot-raw-t-shirt-p1c19s1a1_d1i65728p5

I don't really care for RAW. If you can't get the shot at the time you are taking it then so be it. I am not a believer in Photoshop.

The goal of photography is to get it as close as possible but shooting in RAW and using Photoshop provides the ability to tweak and fine tune the image. One great advantage of shooting RAW is you are dealing with uncompressed images and if you overexposed / underexposed, you can easily recover what might be an unusable image otherwise.

And therein lies the debate

As far as I am concerned as soon as you put it in photoshop you have lost the art of photography and now created a computer generated image. You start with a little change here and a little change there and before you know it you don't have the original image. Make the arms thinner, boobs bigger where does it end? So with that being said just forgo the camera and just use the computer. But this is just my opinion and I have a very strong one about it.

As far as I am concerned as soon as you put it in photoshop you have lost the art of photography and now created a computer generated image.

Ansel Adams negatives would have meant nothing to most people until he spent considerable time in the darkroom tweaking the image to get it on paper the way he wanted it.

I have used PS on tons of my images to make them better images, not to alter the shape of folks bodies. I use is more like dodging and burning on paper.

Bruce