any recommendations for 'over the ear' headphones.

Daddy Dee

I've been using Klipsch image2 earphones for years and have really liked them. Never have found any other earbud type earphones that worked for me, but the Klipsch Image2 have just wonderful sound.

Now i need to use something 'over the ear' instead of 'in the ear'. I've looked at the Klipsch Image ONE and have thought very seriously about buying a pair of these, but even the model with the padded ear cups are 'on the ear'. I don't find this workable or comfortable for long periods of use.

What I'm wondering about is a pair of 'over the ear' headphones. Are there any out there with a good rep? Good comfort and good sound? There seems to be alot of marketing about bass boost headphones which I would generally consider to be unsatisfactory. ie. i've got an HP laptop with BeatsAudio. Actually the BeatsAudio sound processing sounds very good when listening to the laptop speakers. That's rare. Think the laptop sound the best of any stock, in the chassis speakers. However, when listening with earphones i turn the BeatsAudio off because it is just too much for earphones, IMO.

Hoping to not spend alot of money, of course.

Any help appreciated.

p.s. I really wish Klipsch had some 'over the ear' headphones.

If you haven't already, check out Head-Fi: http://head-fi.org/

and my favorite headphone dealer, HeadRoom: http://headphone.com/

A few things to consider --

Do you plan to drive these with the headphone output on your laptop, or do you have (or want) a separate headphone amp?

Do you need reasonably good isolation from ambient noise, or do you listen in a quiet environment?

I'm not familiar with the sonic character of the Image2, but my personal preference is for around-the-ear open-back headphones that have a reasonably neutral sound, leaning towards detailed. I'm a big fan of the Beyerdynamic headphones and do most of my listening on DT-880s. I have the 600 ohm version, which really needs an amplifier, but they are also available in lower impedances.

If you want better noise isolation, Beyer also makes several closed back models.

Some quick generalizations about brands (my own opinion, based on listening to these manufacturers' higher-end around-the-ear models) --

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - great price, great sound. Strong bass, but not obscenely so. Excellent comfort and noise isolation.
May be a little sweaty.

Beyerdynamic - Excellent comfort. I've listened to DT-880, DT-990,
T-1, T-5p, and their new Custom One Pro. The Custom has a clever
adjustable "damper" that acts like an acoustic equalizer, allowing
adjustment between closed-back and open-back. The DT and T- models tend
to be detailed and revealing. The 990s are more bass-heavy.

Sennheiser -- Outstanding comfort. I've listened to HD-598, HD-600, HD-650, and HD-800 models. My favorites are the HD-598 and HD-800. Sound leans slightly toward the dark / warm side of neutral.

AKG - K701 and K702. Good comfort, sound somewhat darker than Sennheiser -- less detailed than I'd prefer.

Grado - I've listened to the SR-60, SR-225, and PS-1000 models. Of these, only the PS-1000 is around-the-ear. All have very detailed mids. I found the PS-1000 to be a bit bright in the treble, and they didn't fit my head very well. The pads are conical, so depending on the size and shape of your ears, they may or may not fit well.

Audez'e - the LCD-3 model is the second best sounding headphones I've ever heard. Cushy pads, but uncomfortable on my head (too much clamping force in the jaw area).

Hifiman - I've listened to the HE-500 and HE-6 models. Both very neutral and transparent. Similar to the Audez'e in design and sound, but more comfortable. The HE-6 model is notoriously difficult to drive -- some even drive them from the speaker outputs on a power amp.

Stax SR-009 + HeadAmp Blue Hawaii - Best I've ever heard -- comfort, sound, transparency, detail. But a little spendy - $11,000 for the setup.

- Bill

• Like 1

Most listening will be done from a laptop, either headphone out or USB sound card such as turtle beach.

Don't like bass heavy stuff for the sake of being bass heavy. Hope to have headphones that match my preference in speakers, which is Klipsch Heritage.I like music so sound real such that the instruments sound as much as possible like the actual instrument.

Value is a consideration. Don't want to hurt much more than $100, though just bought two pair of Audio Technica ATH M50 for daughter and son in law.

Comfort is a plus. I like to listen on headphones as to not bother the wife doing her work on her laptop. Want to wear them comfortably for a couple of hours at a time.

great food for thought here, thanks all for the posts.

come on, mustang guy. What do you like in headphones?

These are what I use: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1354509779&sr=8-11&keywords=sony+headphones. They are studio grade headphones, so their sound is pretty darn good. I got a pair of these in college, use them for DJing and used to use them for audio production and now mostly use them for every day listening. I'm on my 3rd pair in about 12 years. They would probably last longer but get some abuse in my DJ bag.

Most listening will be done from a laptop, either headphone out or USB sound card such as turtle beach . . .

Value is a consideration. Don't want to hurt much more than $100, . . .

Comfort is a plus. I like to listen on headphones as to not bother the wife doing her work on her laptop. Want to wear them comfortably for a couple of hours at a time.

I use Sennheiser HD-280 Pro headphones with the computer to edit video & listen to music. For higher SQ with good amplification, I have a set of HD-600s that I like a lot but are out of your self-imposed budget.

The HD-280 Pros are closed-back so they won't bother your wife. Their low impedence makes them a pretty good match for laptops, iPods, etc., without really wanting/needing a headphone amp. Finally, I've had mine since they were fairly new on the market & I'll likely be replacing pads & such, a nice "pro" extra, before I wear them out. They are very comfortable to me although not as comfortable as the HD-600s which are amazing.

Good luck,

Frank W.

Most listening will be done from a laptop, either headphone out or USB sound card such as turtle beach.

Don't like bass heavy stuff for the sake of being bass heavy. Value is a consideration. Don't want to hurt much more than $100,

Probably 99 % of my headphone listening is done from my laptop headphone jack at work.

I only have experience with Grado for on-the-ear style. My SR-60 headphones which were at least 6 years old with heavy use I sent to Grado to fix an intermittant signal loss due to the a wire in the connector somewhere occasionally not making connection. Grado charged $25 to fix and paid shipping back. When they returned I gave them to my youngest daughter who is hard on headphones. Two years on and they are still going strong. IMO the SR-60i is probably one of the best deals around and is American made.

To replace the ones I gave to my daughter I bought a pair of Grado SR-125i to replace the SR-60. Sound was a little brighter and cost $150. Still, a great pair of headphones and also had the great clarity and normal bass of the SR-60.

I also have a pair of Klipsch entry level in-ear-phones ($50). I always enjoy the sound of these until I put on the SR-125i phones. Then I realize just how good the Grado headphones are.

http://www.gradolabs.com/

Headphones are like speakers when finding the sound you want. The more listening options you have the better a decision you will make.

Hope to have headphones that match my preference in speakers, which is Klipsch Heritage.I like music so sound real such that the instruments sound as much as possible like the actual instrument.

You'd probably really like the Grado sound. And as Wrinkles said the SR-60 and 80i are less than $100. Although they both come with on-ear pads, there are many mods available to address their somewhat less than ideal comfort. You can replace the pads with Grado's own circumaural "L-Cush" pads for $20, or use more complicated adapters and such that accept other pads.

- Bill

• Like 1

I own both the Image One and Mode M40 headphones. Mode M40's are over the ear. Image One's cost me $160 after taxes at Best Buy. Mode M40's cost me $379 after taxes online from the Klipsch website.

Image One's sound BETTER than Mode M40. Yeah. I couldn't believe it either. The Mode's are lacking on the low-end, BIG TIME. The highs and mids are crystal clear, and the noise canceling feature is basically just a "loudness" switch. The return policy would not let me return the M40's without manufacturer defects.

Hello Dee, not sure that I can be of much help to you as I have not had fully enclosed headphones for years! I do however have more time on my desk top rig than my system at home[:(] As mentioned here the Grado SR-60i's are probably one of the true bargains in audio today period but once again these are on the ear and open backed which means you may bother others close to your listening spot!

I'm currently running the AKG 702's off my 8.5WPC Qinpu amp which is fed by my HRT Music Streamer II DAC. These babies are extremely detailed but do require a little more juice to drive them well, at least better juice than comes off a standard laptop headphone out. They may also be more than you want to spend on phones at $299.00 a pair.

post-18681-13819825301306_thumb.jpg

The Grado cans and their cartridges have a phenomenal reputation. Of course, it depends on budget and needs, likes and dislikes. I reviewed a few earbuds, headphones and amplifiers for EnjoyTheMusic.com. I loved the accuracy of the Sennheiser cans, but like many radiator cone loudspeakers, they require a quantity of power to drive. This is the popular cones and sand, type of loudspeakers and amplifier that so dominates our hobby. I loved the comfort and dynamics of the ATH wings, especially with tubes. NOT accurate, but musical. This is the horns and tubes combination that I like so much:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0309/asl_hb1.htm

The HB1 costs only $300; half the price of the HeadRoom Micro combo, a quarter of the Dac1USB's cost. Compared to the price of my headphones, the price of the HB1 is quite reasonable. Despite the HB1's weaknesses in the Sub-bass and High-frequencies categories, its price and silver medal qualities in Tonality, Mid-range and Enjoyment push it over the edge in the Value for the Money category.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0309/benchmark_dac1_usb.htm

The DAC1 USB cost is not too far out of line for a superb quality audio system. If you want the sleek Vette, with 500 solid-state horses crammed under a silver hood at your desk, this is the ultimate DAC/headphone amplifier.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0209/headroom_micro_amp_dac.htm

The HeadRoom combo meanwhile, provides most of the DAC1USB's Über pie, but for a lot less dough. They provide 75 to 90 percent of the sound quality at a good, solid price. The treble sparkles, horns blat and blare. The amplifier allows two inputs and three gain settings. It is small, attractive and competently designed, with great sound. Think 300-hp Mustang versus seven liter Vette, at twice the price.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0210/klipsch_image_s2.htm

My first choice for headphone listening? Well, it would have to be the Oppo player of course. And while the ASL HB-1 has the enticing tube mid-range, in my Micro DAC review, I said it was at the "soft point in the pricing curve; the spot where highest sonic qualities meet lowest price," so I would have to give the nod to the Oppo and Micro DAC combo, regardless of which cans or buds they are driving. Although the Micro DAC has the hard edge of solidstate, they also have the oomph to fill even tiny buds with bass and dynamics.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1109/sennheiser_hd650.htm

The 650s are exceptionally capable performers, with few significant sonic weaknesses. In the categories of mid-bass, mid-range and high-frequencies, the 650s are above average. In my own personal category, Enjoyment, they also score four Blue Notes. If the 650s werent four times the price of my goofy looking ATH-A700 wings and more comfortable for extended wear, I would award them more Blue Notes in the Value For The Money category.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0708/audio_technia_ath_a700.htm

Big cans and hoops that make you look like Gazoo may not be even a tweaking audiophile's choice of headwear, but as their Web site says, the ATH-A700 do provide very high efficiency dynamics with "full, rich balanced bass for "long hours of remarkably comfortable listening. Their sophisticated design, sound and price are solid as a cathedral. The ATH-A700s are an excellent value for sound and quality. For tweaking audiophiles looking for over-the-ear, closed-back headphones, this is a winning model at a great price point. Audio-Technica calls the headphones ART monitors. Believe me; with the craft of these cans, you do enjoy the music.

I want to say thanks for all the excellent advisement from personal experience with some great gear. there is some great food for thought.

have read review after review in this thread and online for these various examples of excellent sound reproduction. really makes me curious as to how these different headphones would sound.

have just received a pair of mint Sennheiser HD-600's shipped from a forum member. The hours on these don't even run into double digits. very nice all around.