Does a 'folded horn' enclosure work the same...

Deang

No not really.

The bandpass enclosure is sort of like two bass reflex enclosures in one. In these, the air in the box acts as a spring (or is a spring). The air in the duct or tube acts like a mass (or is a mass). The mass and spring make up a resonant circuit which can lead to some increased efficency over a relatively narrow frequency range.

The "horn" is another matter. We know that cupped hands help us shout and a megaphone helps even more. An exponential horn is a type of megaphone.

In some ways the horn allows the driver to work more efficently over a wide range of frequencies. Common analogy is to a piston which is an ineffecent pump without a chamber around it. The small end of the horn creates a chamber trapping air and allowing the driver to push it down the horn.

Gil

Does this principle you describe apply to the bass as well -- which is really what I was referring to.

I've been taking a hard look at the LaScala -- and I've been thinking about how the bass works in that box.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25 * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * RF-7 Klipschcones® f>s>

Exigency is the matriarch of ingenious contrivancef>c>s>

This message has been edited by deang on 06-14-2002 at 11:17 PM

Yep, sure does. The only problem is packaging. The mouth area and the length of a horn gets really big, the lower the frequency. The klipschorn overcomes this packaging by using the walls and the floor as an extension of the horn length and the area of the horn mouth. Do a search on horn loading or horn loaded to find out more on this subject. I am only a novice in this field, so I can only relate what I know for sure.

In the LaScala bass unit we have two separate paths from the driver to the front opening. However, if you consider them together they work as an exponential horn.

A classical exponential horn has a property that it doubles in cross sectional area every "x" distance down the length of the horn. The small end of the horn in the "throat" and the big end is the "mouth".

In the treble horns the increase is smooth. But in bass horns it can be approximated with flat pieces of wood.

In the LaScala bass, the throat area is about 0.5 square feet. After 1 foot of length the area is 1 square foot. After 2 feet of length the area is 2 square feet. After 3 feet of length we get to the mouth. The mouth area is about 4 square feet.

The function of the horn is to allow a transition of area from throat to mouth. At the throat, the driver creates high pressure at a small area. As the wave goes down the horn the pressure decreases as the area increases. At the mouth you have low pressure over a large area. The latter is how sound propigates in an open space, which is what we want.

Gil

Deang..please tell me your going to cut the wires to the tweeter horn on your new LaScalas and make them two-ways......

------------------

2 Channel System:

Klipsch Epic CF-2s

McIntosh C-15 Preamplifier

Adcom GFA 5500 Amplifier

Music Hall MMF-5 Table

Adcom GCD 700 CD

Adcom ACE-515 AC Enhancer

Transparent Audio Cabless>

That should look nice, you'll have to post some pics when your done with the wood work.

------------------

2 Channel System:

Klipsch Epic CF-2s

McIntosh C-15 Preamplifier

Adcom GFA 5500 Amplifier

Music Hall MMF-5 Table

Adcom GCD 700 CD

Adcom ACE-515 AC Enhancer

Transparent Audio Cabless>

I'm pretty inept with hammer, nails, and glue though.

I may have to send them to HDBRbuilder to get it done right. You know how he is -- he'd probably flip out on me if I used Elmers and MDF Smile.gif

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25 * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * RF-7 Klipschcones® f>s>

Dean,

Did you just buy some La Scala's? I will be picking mine up tomorrow down in Pompano. Q-Man will be going with me and then we will stop at Colin's house on the way back, hooking them up to Colin's Bottlehead monoblocks. Will let you all know how they compare to my Chorus's. I think I'll like them... a lot. Biggrin.gif

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

PLEASE do tell me what you think.

I have been tinkering with the idea of trading my RF7's in on a pair.

Actually, I'm agonizing over it -- I really, really, like my RF7's.

------------------

Deanf>s>

deang -

WARNING: Fully horn loaded Klipsch are highly addictive, and have been known to cause habitual "disturbing the peace" claims by those who live near them. It is not recommended that you read positive reviews of such speakers or listen to them, unless you have room for them. They also have the side effect of causing interested buyers to sell off other gear to pay for them.

Just thought you would like to knowSmile.gif

Well I just got back home a couple of hours ago and am totally exhausted. cwm35.gif I will be posting a thread in General about the entire trip but would like to sum up my feelings on the La Scala's here.

As you know, I have Chorus I's and '76 Heresy's. I just sold my Chorus II's to jhawk92 and sold my Epic CF-2's to my sister. About 2 months ago I went over to Q-Man's house to listen to his smorgasbord of Heritage horn-loaded speakers. Khorns (2 pair), La Scala's (3 pair), Jensen Imperials that he built with Klipschorn drivers and a single University that he built with all original components. Suffice it to say I was impressed as all getout.

I knew I was gonna sell the Chorus II's to Rob and was hoping I could find some Cornwall's locally to replace them with. I had heard Colin Flood's Cornwalls when I picked up the Chorus's and really thought that was the route I would take. Plus hearing all the favorable stuff about them on this BB didn't hurt their reputation. After hearing Q's system however, I got to thinking that I might be able to squeeze in a pair of La Scala's if I could find a pair locally, since there was no way I would pay for shipping.

Well lo and behold, as soon as I ship off the Chorus's, a pair shows up in Colin's neck of the woods. As it turns out, I end up being the high bidder ($860) and went down with Q-Man to pick them up. Q inspected them for me and gave me his approval. We then drove North for an hour to Colin's house to hear them hooked up to his 3.5w Paramours.

After getting them inside and hooked up (btw, Colin had about 10 pairs of speakers in his living room doing a review for EnjoyTheMusic), we all listened to a couple of our favorite CD's at different volumes and couldn't wipe the smiles off our faces. Smile.gif I must tell you that I heard sounds (music) that I had never heard before on the Chorus's. Keep in mind these speakers were 7 feet off the walls, 5 feet apart and probably 7 feet in front of us. Certainly not ideal for room placement and they still blew me away! The mids and highs were breathtaking! The lows could stand a boost but what bass is there is very tight.

The first CD Colin put on was a Diana Krall cut that had outstanding stand-up bass. And her vocals were spot on. Absolutely mesmerizing! I knew it wasn't just me when I looked behind me where Q and Colin were standing in total silence, and jaws dropped. Smile.gif After listening to assorted styles of music, we decided to hook up one of Colin's Cornwalls to one channel and a La Scala to the other. Q-Man got on the A-B selector and went back and forth, having to adjust the volume to offset the efficiency differences. As for which speaker sounded better, you can probably get that answer from Colin. He's currently on eBay, Audiogon, Audioweb and AudioReview looking for a local pair of La Scala's. Biggrin.gif

More to follow...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike, Congrats!!

Good write up! Expected you would be very impressed and pleased with your La Scala's, as everyone says they are very similar in sound to Belles. Awaiting your review as to how they integrate sonically with the Chorus.

Glad you guys had a safe and rewarding trip.

Saying enjoy them is an understatement!

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 06-16-2002 at 10:54 AM

Mike,

Congrats on the LaScalas. I agree with mpgwagon that horns are so very addictive. I always have to slap myself to refrain from buying LaScalas when I see a nice pair. One day I'll loose the battle. Enjoy your Horns. I'm sure amplification news will follow.

Klipsch out.