Denon & False/Misleading Advertising'?

Joe Shmoe

So I did buy the Denon AVR 1613 which from the Denon website states 75WP.

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productdetail.aspx?pcatid=avsolutions%28denonna%29&catid=avreceivers%28denonna%29&catalog=denonna_us&pid=avr1613%28denonna%29

The problem I have is that Best Buy is listing the receiver as 120WPC, because that's what the box states. As I have to pull back a sticker on the other side of the box, I can see that it's listed as 120WPC @ 6 Ohm's. Aren't most speakers 8 Ohm's?

To me this is false advertising. The average Joe is not going to know that it's figured at 6 Ohm's. Furthermore the Geek that sold it to my wife assured her it was 120WPC and it will "shake the foundation". [8-)]

Am I missing something here?

• Moderators

Yes it is false advertising but somehow it's "Legal".

I had a Yamaha RX-V1800 and it claims 130 x 7 with All Channels Driven. 3rd Party bench testing showed otherwise. It was something like 130 x 2, 110 x 5 and only 55 x 7. If you want to "Shake the Foundation", get yourself a separate amp that is 200 watts per channel and never look back. [:D] Mine is 220 x 5 and I have never felt it has lacked power to drive my setup.

• Moderators

No you didn't miss anything it's a slick way to deceive people not really paying attention, But your not the average Joe Shmoe ! [Y]

What can make even worse is there are many ways to measure even at 8 Ohms. Sometimes they measure at 1000 Mhz, sometimes at full bandwidth and there are a few other ways. [:S]

Makes it a little tough to compare, you can't miss any details or your not judging apples to apples.

Before I ever make a big purchase, I always do my homework. I knew ahead of time about the WPC conflict. I was unable to pick up the receiver in store, so I had my wife do it. I told her to inquire about the WPC issue, and that's when she told me what the Geek & his manager had said to her.

It just bums me out a little because I like Denon and it's shocking to see what they are doing. I'm still going to confront Best Buy on the issue regardless and probably send an email to Denon also. [N]

Oh yea, meant to reply to the 200W amplifier suggestion...I have an older Denon that's 110WPC for my KLF'30's. This receiver is going to be running some RB61 II's and maybe a sub with it.

I would have sprung for something older with more power (and probably cheaper) but I wanted the USB port in the front for my iPod. It's going in a small room I remodeled for my home gym.

Thanks for all the replies [;)]

• Moderators

This receiver is going to be running some RB61 II's and maybe a sub with it.

You should be totally fine then. I have a 25 wpc Harman Kardon 430 and it powers my KG 3.2 with no problem. Keep in mind, you have to double the power to only get a 3db increase in volume. You won't hear a difference between say an 80 wpc receiver and a 110 wpc receiver.

I seriously doubt any ratings on "new" (not from the '70s) gear. My AVR is rated 110wpc/7ch driven........ ya right. That is why I am running 2 obd amps, one for the mains and one for the sides. I figgure the AVR can take care of the center and rears without issue.

I have had a board member over to listen to my HT and he remarked at how great it sounded, then he realized he had only an AVR and I had OBD amps. It makes a difference, both in the quality of the sound AND in the heat generated by the amplification equipment. YMMV!

After hooking up my Denon 110 wat-7.1 per channel receiver I couldn't get the thing out of first gear. (Loud volume)

My old Denon 2 channel 55 watts per channel just blew it away. So I slaved the 2 channel to the 7.1 with the two channel driving the K-horns and the 7.1 driving everything else and then everything was just fine at 98dbm SPL. I'm guessing the 7.1 was putting out roughly 15 watts per channel with all the speakers hooked up and that's being generous.

JJK