Playstation 3 for Bu-Ray

vondy

We have the fat and it does a fine job. Watched/listened to Dave Mathews on BR last night and it was great. We've streamed a few movies on it with no problems too.

As far as gaming goes we've been playing Halo 4 on the Xbox 360. It's quite the adventure.

I used my fat PS3 for my blu-rays for about 2 years and loved it until I bought my LG blu-ray player. It is much faster, and the sound quality and picture quality are both better than the PS3. It also upconverts standard dvds way better than the PS3. I say if you are not worried about gaming, just get the best stand alone player you can afford and you will be much happier.

Nope the oppo's( 93 anyhow)) don't blow the ps3 out of the water.You might say it's marginally better and I may agree.I have had every oppo except the new version and the 95.I have 130 inch screen and sold my oppo 93 (it was slow and clunky) with no regrets.The oppo is a great player for $250, for $500 it's twice more than it's worth, just imo.The ps3 did stuff oppo does now years ago, the oppo does dvda and sacd though.

If however you got $500 or $1k to drop the oppo is the best in that price range, or even more.

Don't have the 93 so cant really comment on that but the 103 is on a noticeably higher level when comparing picture quality. The proof is in the pudding.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/169533.aspx

Didn't realize how big this subject got. I think I decided to go with the PS3 Slim rather than the Super Slim. Listening here and looking at the reviews, I don't like the talk of the lack of build quality of the super slim.

Would love the Oppo but $500 is not worth any upgrade in quality. If the PS3 is the same or better than the older Panasonic I'm using now, which is great, I will be very happy. This whole thing started when my mom asked what my wife and I wanted for Christmas. Our Blu-Ray is really slow starting up and the PS3 apparently is quick, and is a gaming console, so why not.

Didn't realize how big this subject got. I think I decided to go with the PS3 Slim rather than the Super Slim. Listening here and looking at the reviews, I don't like the talk of the lack of build quality of the super slim.

Would love the Oppo but $500 is not worth any upgrade in quality. If the PS3 is the same or better than the older Panasonic I'm using now, which is great, I will be very happy. This whole thing started when my mom asked what my wife and I wanted for Christmas. Our Blu-Ray is really slow starting up and the PS3 apparently is quick, and is a gaming console, so why not.

Although I disagree with your statement that the Oppo is not worth the money, I hope you enjoy your PS3. It's not that 'quick' when compared to one of the new dedicated players, but it's sufficient. It also has pretty much any streaming app you could want, so overall it's a good player and nothing to scoff at.

I have a PS/3, but I do game. I have one of the "fat" models, the one with the four ports on front that is also SACD capable. In fact, that is primarily what I use it for is for playing games. However, it also serves as my primary Blu-Ray player as well, since I don't watch very many BDs. With that said, I did just recently pick up the complete Star Gate Atlantis series on Blue-Ray, as well as the Lord of the Rings Extended edition. Also picked up Dr. Who seriese 5 and 6 on Blue-Ray as well, so looks like I got some Blue-Ray watching to catch up on. I also have a Toshiba HD-DVD player in my rig as well, with a small collection of HD-DVDs that I still watch. At the very least, it makes for a really good upcoverting DVD player.

With that said, if you don't plan on gaming or use the media server capabilites of the PS/3, you may be better served with a decent stand-alone Blue-Ray player. Now, as nice as the Oppo players are, I would not go so far as to say that it "blows away" the PS/3. Yeah, for something that costs that much, I would hope I would get better performance than a stock PS/3 unit, but I don't see it "blowing it away" as some seem to enthusiastically claim, though. But, still, if I am looking to get a stand-alone player, the Oppo units are on my short list, but for now the PS/3 serves me very nicely for my occasional Blue-Ray playback needs.

Now, as nice as the Oppo players are, I would not go so far as to say that it "blows away" the PS/3. Yeah, for something that costs that much, I would hope I would get better performance than a stock PS/3 unit, but I don't see it "blowing it away" as some seem to enthusiastically claim,

No really, it does. Everything about it is better. Faster, better picture, plays everything, etc. But you are right, you are paying a premium for those capabilities, but I think it is definitely worth it.

No really, it does. Everything about it is better. Faster, better picture, plays everything, etc. But you are right, you are paying a premium for those capabilities, but I think it is definitely worth it.

No it doesn't. Better? Yes, but not "blows it away" better. Not from my experience. I guess we can agree to disagree on that point.

the ps3 may have it's strengths, but I had my credit card info stolen and used after the massive playstation network hacking (last year?). I sold everything and I won't ever go back. no worries with the oppo.

now i do my gaming on an arcade cabinet with games 12 years or older. :D

I've never put my credit card on the PS network. Good thing I never did. I still kept my PS/3 as I do use it and still enjoy it. And yes, I also have arcade cabinet with a boat-load of "MAME ROMs" on it.

No it doesn't. Better? Yes, but not "blows it away" better. Not from my experience. I guess we can agree to disagree on that point.

Fair enough. I guess we have different definitions of what blows away means. If something is better in all facets, I would say that blows something away. If it was just better at one thing, I would be more apt to agree with you. It's all good though, I could just be defending my purchase ;^P PS3 is set up in the bedroom now.