Difference between a Cornwall and a Cornsala ??

Jay Registrar

A Cornwall ( either the original, vertical or CW II) is a Klipsch product, while a Cornscala was developed by Bob Crites. The first Conscala was a box with the same volume (size) as a Cornwall, but utilizing a La Scala horn (K400). Variation on the original Cornscala have been made, with different cabinet shapes and different horns, drivers, etc.

Bruce

while a Cornscala was developed by Bob Crites

Long before I had signed up as a forum member I had run across the thread at the first link below while searching the internet for information on how to fix a woofer. It is in this thread on page 2 that I found what I believe could be the first use of the word "cornscala" where Bob Crites was referring to the test box he was building and showing in the thread at the second link below.

"Bad K33E, Lets Fix It"

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/45759.aspx?PageIndex=2

"........This thing will be a bit more elaborate than just a woofer test box. The bass part will be around a 2 ft. cube ported like a cornwall. The motor board will extend another foot above the bass box to allow installation of a K-401 horn and K-55V driver and also a K-77 tweeter. I will then gin up a crossover for that combination and have a multiple driver tester and I expect it to even sound pretty good. Might call it a Cornscala.

Bob Crites "

"Let's Build a Driver Test Box"

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/46033.aspx?PageIndex=1

It would seem that on 9/24/2004 at 7:28 PM, as Bob hit the "post" button, the "Cornscala" was born. Then on 10/1/2004 at 7:34 PM, as Bob hit the "post" button in a new thread, it appears that Bob introduced the very first version of the Cornscala to the Klipsch community.[:D]

Jay,

Bob's design goals were to combine the killer bass of a Cornwall with the 400hz midrange on the LaScalas and Khorns. The combination makes for a very nice diy speaker. A number of folks have modified their original CW's using various 400hz horns that will fit in the cab and modding the crossover to account for the lower reaching midrange.

Jay, I agree. However, to me, I believe the sweet tone range of Bob's 1526C cast woofer still blends well at the 500-600 xover point. I read somehwere that the woofer plays nicely in the sandbox within the 400-700 range? dunno for sure. .

Anyhoo, a thrown together cornscala will still sound better then the original and a good thought out upgrade results in a stunning sound that rivals speakers costing many thousands more.

Ron

I would like to know this too.

There seems to be way too many different flavors of "Cornscala" for there to really be "A Cornscala", outside of the original or ones that are built exactly the same.

You need to build it yourself, name it Cornscala, then compare it to a real Cornwall.

Klipsch did a number of changes to their speakers over the years though when there was a major deviation, they were re-named with at least a II specifier. It made sense except for the original Reference Series that went to II because of calling out Monster Cable internal cabling from what I remember.

Thanks for the responses. The Lascalas I have, were built in '88. The tweeter is a K-77, the horn is a K-55-M. I dont' know what he woofer is as I don't want to open the case. The crossover is a Type AL.

Mentioned difference was a K-400 horn. ? What is the difference between it and the K-55-M?

What horn is in '77 thru '84 Cornwalls?

Thanks !!

Cornwall - The crossover frequencies shall be 600hz and 6000hz......speaker output shall be 90db at 2 feet with less than 3% THD

Chris,

Not to bounce on your thread. I agree. However, usually with the Cornscalas different horns and mid drivers are used and therefore some prefer to change the frequency cutover points to personal preference based on installed components.

Ron

...while the k-400 is the horn "lens", or mouth.

Just for the record, here is a picture of two different types of "horn lenses":

HornLens_gold.jpg

Here is a picture of two K-400 horns, with K-55 compression drivers attached:

klipsch-k-400%20horn%20k-55-v%20treiber-

The "horn's mouth" is the big end of the horn, while the "horn's throat" is the small end of the horn. The "horn" is the black cast aluminum body (in this case).

[;)]

...while the k-400 is the horn "lens", or mouth.

Just for the record, here is a picture of two different types of "horn lenses":

HornLens_gold.jpg

Those louvered horn lenses look really cool, but unfortunaltely don't work very well. JBL first used them on their Hartsfield in the middle '50's, and used them in assorted sizes and configurations throughout the '80's perhaps? Prices for them on eBay have hit astromonical levels.