Info on CBR

Woodpecker

Just buy them.

After you get them home you can figure out what kind of shape they're in, etc.

That's a good price even if they need a bunch of work.

Probably 1981 series 1, may have either a K55 or K51 mid, K33E woofer, K77M tweeter.

Try it and see, if you don't like the sound you can't lose any money on them.

By home theater standards the Cornwall needs a sub, but on music they're fine. The bass quality will be more dependent on your room, rather than your equipment. If they sound tubby you will most likely need a trap tuned to the floor-to-ceiling resonance, around 71hz for an 8 foot height..

Louder, room-filling sound? Oh yes, without a doubt. Deeper bass? Should be, but note above comments about room.. Placement will help determine. The B&W is no slouch, but with the Cornwalls you'll get a dynamic ease and headroom that may be new to you. They'll sound gread with the Silverline gear. The price is stupid low...historic deal. Just jump.

Wow, what a long day, waited outside the shop this morning to ensure that i did not miss them then had to do a days work before getting them home. All hooked up and im happy though the tweeter on one unit is not functioning at all. As per the consensus on this site i intend to get the caps replaced and i obviously have to replace the tweeters. Any recommendations, mods, upgrades? Oh and thanks for the recommendations to buy, buy, buy, despite tweeter problem i'm very happy.

Congratulations!.

The tweeter might actually be okay. Take a volt meter and check the connections and then disconnect the tweeter from the crossover and see if the resistance reads "open" or not. The diapragm may be shot (it can be replaced).

While you have the cabinets open, read the vaules on the caps. Replacements can be ordered from Parts Express (Solens are fine and affordable). If you want to get fancy, then bypass the caps with some Dayton film caps (about 2-5% of the value of the main cap and only costs a dollar or two). The rest of the crossover parts should be fine. There are many, many thread on this.

God luck and enjoy them.

Thanks. OK, I disconnected the speaker wires from the crossover as
this end of the wire has screw on connectors rather than cutting the
other end attached to the
speaker itself as it is soldered on. I set the multimetre(s) (used two for confirmation) to ohms and
selected 200. The default (unconnected) reading on both multimeters is
one (1) This
reading does not change when the tweeter (K-77M) is tested. The
Squarker (KV-55-V) reads 11.3 ohms and the Woofer (K-33-E) reads 4 ohms.
I removed the mahnet from the tweeter and cannot see any physical
damage. As the consensus on threads around here is to replace the
tweeters with the 125s i will follow suit but in the meantime does it
sound like my tweeter is kaput, any other tests, potential fixes? BTW as the B&W 602S3s are bi-wireable i
have sat sideways on top of the Cornwalls and have wired to their tweeters
only. I know the purists would laugh and scoff but im quite enjoying
the experience. It could get me through untll i order/receive the 125's! Also, please advise if the ohm readings for the squarker and woofer fit in an acceptable range.
Cheers
Chris

Welcome,and as always you are getting pretty good advice. One note of caution. While I'm a big fan of Bob, not everybody here thinks the 125's are the cats meow. Me. I'd get a new diaphragm for the tweet, replace the caps and then spend some time with them before doing anything else. I'd also spend considerable time on seeing how they go with your room

Many of the changes named here result in nuanced improvements, not earth-shattering transformational cosmic experiences. So take care of the basics and then take your time.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions. I have a large room measuring
12m by 6m (approx 40' by 20') with cathederal ceiling that slopes across
the length from a high of about 3.6m to 3m. The speakers are placed a
meter in from each corner and fire down the length of the room with the
listening position being approximately at the imaginary position of an
equalateral triangle. Same as my previous setup with the 602s.

Obviously
peoples "sound" preferences differ however there seems to be some
conflicting information on the web (surprise surprise) about the
sensitivy of the 125s. Some on this forum and others are claiming that they are not as sensitive
as the stock tweeters while others claim they are in fact a little more
sensitive. The sensitivity is obviously not something that is a matter of opinion..... Anyone got the facts?

Yes, perhaps i should initially go down the cheaper route and have the opportunity to hear the unit as it was designed to be heard and replace the diaphram, I'll give it some thought. Would it not be good practice to replace the other one while i'm at it?

Is replacing the caps an easy enough job? Anything to be particularly careful/mindful of?

Woodpecker,

I would replace both diaphrams and keep the stock tweeters, always a better return on your investment! A ProStreet Camaro never brings as good a return on the money dumped into it as a concourse correct Boss 302 or 429 mustang.

As for replacing caps it's all straight forward.

Good Luck with your new purchase, you stole them at that price! [;)]

Roger

Thanks TCC. I was going to use another vehicular analogy to explain my philosophy that when one bearing needs replacing it is always good practice to do them all but i wasnt sure if it applied aptly to tweeter diaphragms.

After a few beers tonight and a few days with the speakers (bearing in mind buggered tweeter) and comparing to what i have been listening to for a number of years im particularly impressed and surprised with low level listening experience and clarity and "realness" of voices from Dylan (how good is this years "Tempest") to Simone (heavenly).

Cheers
Chris