Klipschorns really disappointed me today

chambers1517

I have a theater which is about 14' wide and 28' long. I have 3 Lascalas recessed into the front wall and 4 18" subs between them set up in an IB arrangement. I have 2 risers with the front being 12' from the screen and the back being 18' from the screen. Each riser is 7" high with a 1" gap all the way across the front of the riser. The risers are also full of insulation. I use a Behringer Ep 4000 to power the subs an an Integra 70.1 for the others. I use Audessy to balance the system. I also have side and rear Heresy's. While watching movies everything sounds great. I plugged my phone in today and turned on California by DR Dre to rock out. Had it really loud and it sounded great, I thought. Went upstairs to compare on my Klipschorns. They are in a 15' by 30' living room on the short wall. 12' opening to kitchen in the middle of one long wall and a 5' opening to a hall on the other long wall. I have an old HK 7200 powering the Khorns with surround turned off. Plugged in the phone cranked up California and was surprised how the Khorns not only matched 3 Lascalas, 4 Heresys and an ib sub but it sounded better. I think it may be the theater is more closed in and needs treatment but the khorns just sound right. Question is what to do?

The difference between the La Scala and KHorns, to me, are (1, the obvious one) the deeper bass extension and (2) the sound of the upper bass. But you are comparing KHorns to the La Scala + IB sub.

Maybe, just maybe, you prefer the horn-loaded bass to the IB bass? I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with 4 IB 18-inch subs, but maybe you'd be happier with a horn-loaded sub.

Also, were you really comparing stereo KHorns to 7.1 matrix? I tend to prefer music recorded in stereo reproduced in stereo. Try 2.1 ?

Yes I was using 7.1 stereo. I sat in my spot in the theater and toggled through all the formats until I found the one that sounded the best. It ended up being 7.1 stereo. I didnt try straight stereo. The IB definately goes much deeper than the khorns. The theater is adjusted flat. In the range the khorns can go down to they just do an incredible job. I dont know what it is but the bass is cleaner but it may be because of the more open living room.

The subject of the thread may cause confusion.

Initially. I inferred that you were disappointed by the Klipschorns. After reading the post, it seems the Klipschorns' superiority caused you to be disappointed by your La Scala based HT. Am I understanding you correctly?

The subject of the thread my cause confusion.

Initially. I inferred that you were disappointed by the Klipschorns. After reading the post, it seems the Klipschorns' superiority caused you to be disappointed by your La Scala based HT. Am I understanding you correctly?

I know I was confused.......not the first time though......

The subject of the thread my cause confusion.

I know I was confused.......not the first time though......

That's the state I where I live 12 months out of the year. I'm just waiting for the state of confusion to vote to join the Union...

Bruce

The subject of the thread may cause confusion.

Yeah, what the heck is going on here. I read the title and was intrigued at why this would be possible. Then you just blab on about how great they are ;)