Building Moondogs

hetmann

That looks like fun, is it a kit? If it is, what is the website I can order it from?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Oh, screw that, thats WAY too expensive!!! What are good kits BELOW $500?

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Well I'm coming to the end of the tunnel on this one. Here are a few more pics:

http://home.earthlink.net/~j.dutczak/moondog_construction_10.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~j.dutczak/moondog_construction_12.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~j.dutczak/moondog_construction_13.jpg

Just a few comments. This is a well engineered kit. The instructions were complete and moved straight through the process. Kudos to Ron Welborne. I was hampered by a few missing parts, but nothing major. The kit is supposed to take 8-10 hours to complete. It took me well over 25 hours to get to the point you see in the last pic.

Most construction steps were relatively easy to complete and some were astonishingly difficult. More experienced builders may know better techniques and may skip back and forth through the construction steps to simplify things.

It will be a day or so before I close these up and apply voltage. I want to double check my work and make sure nothing is touching where it shouldn't be.

I'll report back when I fire them up.

------------------

Klipschorns and Moondogs

Weiming, thank you, those look great!

------------------

hetmann-

It looks like you are doing a fantastic job!!!

I do have a few questions, you eluded to the fact that some parts were very easy and some were very difficult. What problems did you have in assembling the kit and what where the more dificult aspects? Also, what skills do you need for this endevor? Okay...basic sodering skills and general assembly skills, but how "good" do these skills need to be? Any additional tidbits of information would be greatly appreciated!

-Dave

------------------

Home Theater

Beyond the ability to follow instructions and basic soldering, skills needed are:

1) fairly good eysight - some parts have little tiny numbers/markings on them

2) good manual dexterity/motor skills - you will need to fit the later components in and not damage or melt anything in the process

3) patience - to do a good job and check/recheck your work

Ron W. was helpful in answering questions by email.

------------------

Klipschorns and Moondogs

Very nice work. After you familiarize yourself with the sound of your new 2A3 Moondogs in stock form, you can begin the various experiments when you see fit.

I found VERY REAL improvements with NOS tube options in the 6SN7, rectifier, and 2A3 positions. Indeed, I dont have any of the stock tubes in my units now, much preferring alternatives. You can write me for details if you desire.

Also, I have found that Jensen and Audio Note Copper Foil Oils to be much better in the two coupling cap positions if you listen to horns. Later on, you might try these as well as the BlackGate PS cap(although you might have already opted for this). While it is an added expense, it does things to the sound that is worth it in my opinion. I actually have Audio Note Tantalum resistors which are very expensive but also very musical. I dont know any other that has opted for this option, however.

Did you get a chance to see the factory wired Moondog shot? I have so shots of my units on my Moondog II page but the factory wiring job looks amazing.

moondogbottom.jpg

MY units employ the MagneQuest DS-025 transformers which is a different beast then the Electraprints. Most of the reviews of the Moondogs were conducted with the MQ iron but Jack makes some good outputs as well.

Again, looks like some great work. Good luck on first power up!

kh

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 06-17-2002 at 03:12 PM

As a matter of fact, I had a full page print out of this very jpeg on my workbench when I was building my kits. I also had pictures of Jazman's amps there to inspire me too. The pictures were worth "a 1,000 words" in addition to the construction manual.

------------------

Klipschorns and Moondogs

I wasnt here for quite awhile and was wondering if Jazman actually posted some pics of his amps? I know I posted a few awhile back but was not sure if they were still accessable. Did he post some others?

kh

ps-Ron only posted that pic of the factory wiring job after he started carrying the Yote 2A3 amp.

------------------

CD Player Rega Planet

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Very nice job hetmann!

I am sure you are going to love your Moondogs as much as I love mine. You have an additional "pride factor" of having built them yourself...congratulations!

------------------

2 Channel System:

'78 Khorns w/ALK networks

Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps

AES AE-3 Superpreamp DJH mods

McIntosh MCD 7007 CD

McIntosh MR-78 Tuner

DIYCable Twisted Cross Connect Speaker Cable

DIYCable Superlatives (preamp/amp)

DH Labs Silver Pulse interconnects (sources/preamp)

f>

s>

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been pinging Mobile lightly about getting into a pair of these Moondogs. I have a pair of Klipschorns (with Al's crossovers) being driven by my Eico and I ADORE the combination. However, all this discussion of the Moondogs combined with a need to buy my "last amp" for these refrigerators (as my wife affectionately calls them) is getting my courage up.

I guess my question to Mobile, Edster, Jazmann, Hettman, etc. is:

"What is the best combination of component upgrades?"

I know this is somewhat objective, but I think we're all pretty much on the same page, ear-wise (big assumption, I know). I liked my SuperAmp, but it was a bit too "incisive" (using DeanG's descriptor) wit the super-sensitive Khorns ... The SA needs a less sensitive speaker to really shine, I think.

I have tended to like old NOS for starters. There was some discussion on Ron's website as well about the KR 2A3, but no real review that I could find ... just some comments that they really brought out the most in these amps.

So what upgrades should I put on my shopping list? And is the new iron about at par with the older MQ's?

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Before we get into which 2A3 amp is best for what, I'll throw in my view of the KR 2A3 tube. Welborne used to be a distributor of KR tubes but is no longer due to differences. I will say that ole Ron defended those tubes till the cows came home, something I didnt really understand after hearing them for a month in my own amps.

One positive about the KR2A3 is that you are able to defeat the jumper at R13 in the Moondog and run the KR with more juice to up the output to 4.5w a channel. The bad thing is that once you do this, you lose the ability to throw in ye olde NOS 2A3 for fear they would wear faster than paper pants...

Here is my basic take on the KR 2A3:

"I felt the KR lacked soul in the midrange and was nowhere near involving as the Sovtek or other NOS variants. The KR was extended and quiet and very well made. I thought it also had a blacker background. But to me, the KR-2A3 was the least musical tube I have had in my Moondogs, which admittedly, have a few different parts then the average example.

I did not find the Sovtek fully broken in till after 100 hours or so. But comparing a fully broken in KR (from first production run with about 300 hours) with a fully broken in Sovtek and RCA CRC VT95 Black Plate left the KR in third place if judged on purely musical qualities.

I find it leaning more toward the solid state side of the spectrum with extended top and bottom but rather lean midrange. Based on discussion with others concerning this tube, I have found many agree. On the other hand, I never ended up modifying my amps to up the voltage inorder to get the near 4.5w or so available with the KR2A3."

That was from a post I left last year in the Asylum. I still have not changed my mind on this tubes. As stated, they did have good qualities, but were just not my taste.

As to the Moondog options.... I'll save that for the next post after I have Bass Ale.

kh

------------------

CD Player Rega Planet

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 06-26-2002 at 02:14 PM

Thanks, Kelly -- I can see that the KR wouldn't make a lot of sense if one is looking to enjoy old NOS for a number of years. X-nay on that one.

I look forward to your next post.

"In beer-o veritas."

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD