newb with a couple questions

Lemon string

Hello All

So like I stated Im new to klipsch and wanted to check in with the community to get some thoughts and opinions on what I've put together so far.

A bit of back story......

About a month ago I walked into a stereo shop and right inside the door was a pair of new heresey's. I had heard a lot about these speakers and wanted to hear them as I knew I'd be putting together a ht for the house we recently moved into. Up until know our HI FI system had been a bose Ipod dock which, for what it is, is ok but I was dying for some real immersive sound! I listened to the hersey's and the sales person told me about the heritage lines history. I thought they sounded good but honestly I wasn't floored, much to my surprise, so I asked him if he had an example of what modern klipsch speakers sound like. He demo'd a pair of RF 62II's for me and I was blown away! I couldn't stop thinking about them for the next week.

Since that demo I dove in and bought the following speakers used from 3 different sellers:

RF 82's mains

RC 52 center

RW 12 sub

RS 41's surrounds

and

RB 61's in a second zone

I bought the same AV receiver that the RF 62II's were demo'd with, a new Yamaha RX V673, which I've configured as a 5.1 system in zone 1 and a 2 channel system in zone 2. The receiver is rated at 90w per channel.

At this point I am really pleased with the set up but I don't know if I feel like it's delivering the same thrill that RF 62II demo did.

My questions:

Do you guys think that the Reference series II would be that different? RF 62II's vs RF 82's?

Do you think that the yamaha RX V673 with 90w per ch is enough? Should I consider a av receiver that has more power to drive the larger RF 82's?

Maybe Im just obsessing as I said the system does sound really good but Im just trying to put together the best sound experience I can. I think I still have time to return the yamaha to the retailer where I purchased it.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Lemon String,

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like you put together a very nice setup.

Do you guys think that the Reference series II would be that different? RF 62II's vs RF 82's?

IMO, the RF-82's will have more presence and play "bigger" than the RF-62II's. You can't go wrong with either but as with most cases, bigger is usually better.

Do you think that the yamaha RX V673 with 90w per ch is enough?

Does your setup "need" more power, I would say not really. Does it like more power and will it make a noticeable difference, yes it will.

If I was you, I would tweak your system until you can't tweak no more and then decide if you want more power.

I know others will chime in with varying opinions so weigh the advice given before you let us spend your hard earned $$$.[:P]

Bill

• Moderators

If I was you, I would tweek your system until you can't tweek no more and then decide if you want more power

I vote with Willand, enjoy and play with it before doing anything. Adjustments in settings, speaker placement and the room itself can change the sound just to name a few, so play with it until you are familiar with the sound of your room and equipment.

Welcome lemon, have fun.

Im with Willand on this as well...bigger speakers are better.[Y]

Stick around for a while, You'll see...

Keep what you have for a while, mess with it until you've exhausted all your options. then you will be more informed with your next decision.

Welcome! Do you remember if the room you demoed in was acoustically treated? If so that will make a difference for sure. And placement as well. Keep em away from walls for good imaging! That will make a huge difference as well. 82's are great speakers! Those were my very first klipsch speakers.

THANKS FOR THE WARM WELCOME

Well im glad to hear that you guys think that the older 82's were the right call. My only question here was concerning the new crossover in the new RF II's. I thought that might be some of what I heard in the 62 II's and perhaps what I might be missing in the older 82's.

So far it doesn't seem as though anyone is to concerned with my AV choice. After purusing the forum I began to second guess the Yamaha. I must admit I had never heard of Emotiva untill reading this forum but from the looks of things they're pretty popular and well respected amongst the Klipsch crowd. I dug around on their website and they look like a real quality company. I think that when the time comes to upgrade my power might be looking in that direction. How much better would more watts per channel increase performance in the mains do you think?

One of you guys asked about the room where I auditioned the 62 II's and yes Im pretty sure it was accoustically treated. Right now my mains are about 6 to 8 inches off the wall behind them. The left front is about 7 feet from the side wall and the right front is about 2.5' from the side wall my listening position is around 15' away. Are they far enough off the back wall or should I bring out a bit more?

One last question for now..... I ve also seen a lot of talk about audessey on the forum. Do they make a calibration software that one can utilize with any set up or is their software only available in receivers with the manufacturers that are mentioned on their website? The Yamaha I purchased has YPAO calibration. Are any of you familar with the YPAO? Is the audessey far superior? If so why?

Again thanks for the warm welcome and for your time and thoughts. Im pysched to be here!