Seperats vs reciever?

MichaelandKlipsch

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the site and would like to know from actual Klipsch owners of the upcoming difference Im going to hear. I have just made the transition to using just a Receiver to separates.

Forgive me ahead of time for the lengthy post. I am running RF-83 Mains, RC-64 Center, 2 RS 62 Surrounds 2 RS 52 Surround Backs, and 2 RB-81 Height Channels. I am currently using a Pioneer Elite SC-55 but Im planning to use this as a preamp and only power the Surround Back (RS-52s) and Height Channels (RB-81s). I got a Good deal I think on a Parasound 5250 V2 5 Channel 250wX5 Amp for $1600.00. That is about Brand New. They also included Brand New KCAG Interconnects and I have a set of Monster M950 High Quality Interconnects. Let me know from anyones personal experience what this upgrade to running a separate amp will sound like for better channel separation and better Mids etc. I know that when using 7 or 9 channels the Eltie SC 55 was seriously lacking at high volumes. I have a dedicated Theater room and use this room for 100% Movies. 12L, 23W, 9H

Other equipment is Elite 70 Led

Oppo 93 BDP

2 KA 1000 THX amps

4 KW-120 THS Subwoofers

2 Monster AVS 2000 Signature Voltage Stabilizers

1 Monster HTP5100 Signature Series Reference Power Center

AudioQuest Carbon HDMI Cables

Monster THX 1000 Banana Terminal Speaker Wire.

Nice system! If that setup is lacking at high volume, then either you need a hearing aid, or you have a huge room. Don't feel bad, years of blasting rock and concerts have beat up my ears over the years. Funny thing is when my 3 sons 16, 18 and 20 tell me to turn down the music.

[:)]

Thanks for some quick responses. As far as loudness goes the speakers sound great. What I meant was it was lacking with just the Pioneer Elite SC-55 at mid to high levels. Especially when using 7 or more speakers. I have just acquired the Parasound 5250 V2 but havent hooked her up yet. I have a clear weekend ahead and Im very excited to finally move into Separates. For now im going to use the Parasound to power the L,C,R,SR,SL. Eventually Ill get a separate 2 channel amp for just the mains. I was trying to get some responses on how different using a separate power Amp such as the Parasound, or any relatable such amp. Thanks for the responses so far guys

Okay, Youthman hasn't chimed in yet, I'll give it a go.

First, you have a killer system. I bet your Pioneer Elite sounds great and handles the dynamics okay at low to mid volumes. As good as it's amp section is, driving 9 speakers has to be taxing some. Add that Parasound beast and all things good about the Elite will be amplified(pun intended)[;)] especially at higher volumes. I have not heard any negatives about the sound quality of the Pioneer Elite class D receivers. The Parasound will add punch, detail, and of course dynamics to the overrall movie experience. The onboard amps of the Elite will easily power your remaining 4 channels.

Bill

Thanks for the detailed reply Bill. I plan to install it this weekend. The Elite is indeed a warm sounding receiver but like u said above -25db and above it cant power all 9. I dont tend to use the Height speakers much but Im looking forward to that Punch from the Parasound. I researched many amps in the same league as the Parasound and almost got a Sunfire TGA7200. But everyone speaks about how neutral the parasound is and for movies thats what Im looking for. I have been looking to add 2 LaScallas to the living room and would possibly go with a warmer amp like a 2CH sunfire etc.

Thanks for the detailed reply Bill. I plan to install it this weekend. The Elite is indeed a warm sounding receiver but like u said above -25db and above it can’t power all 9. I don’t tend to use the Height speakers much but I’m looking forward to that Punch from the Parasound. I researched many amps in the same league as the Parasound and almost got a Sunfire TGA7200. But everyone speaks about how neutral the parasound is and for movies that’s what I’m looking for. I have been looking to add 2 LaScalla’s to the living room and would possibly go with a warmer amp like a 2CH sunfire etc.

LaScalas don't need much power. 30 watts per channel will blast you out of the house. They are extremely efficient, and 1 watt will provide 104db at 1 meter. What they do like is tube amps. The McIntosh 275 comes to mind. Depending on your music preferences, you may want to add a sub. The LaScala has a 53hz floor, and the LaScala II 51HZ floor. If you have corners in that living room, you might want to look at Klipschorns. Unless you listen to rap and hip-hop, I doubt you would need a sub with Klischorns. The Khorns dig to 33HZ and are even more efficient than the LaScala at 105db 1w/1m..

Welcome to the forum Michael. I run a 9.2 setup with my Pioneer Elite SC 35. For movies usually only 7 channels are active at one time. I like the ideal of external amps paired to the SC 55. The Pioneer looses around 15 watt/channel with all the channels being driven. The amp/avr combo is a nice cost effective way to enhance your system. The pre-amp section of the avr is great and it will be hard to beat with a separated pre-amp.

Hi Derrick,

Yes I agree with you mostly 7 speakers for films with my SC-55. I really wanted to pick up that Parasound Amp and use the Elite as a pre amp and just the rear 2 channels occasionally the Heights, but everyone told me the same thing when I was shopping for the parasound. They all say that the speakers come alive with a pre/pro and dedicated amp. I know the elite has always made my Klipschs sound wonderful but Im curious as to how this dedicated amp will make the main 5 sound. Many uses told me the Channel separation and details upon watching films will be noticeably apparent at higher volumes.

Hey Mustang, I was looking at McIntosh 2Ch amps. Of course not right now as I just bought the 4 THX KW-120s and parasound and my wife will kill me if I started looking already. But I think the first thing is to grab a pair of LaScalas. They will be placed in two corners about 20 ft. from each other and I dont listen to Rap or hip hop. Mostly classical, blues, instrumental and rock. Dont want to put a Sub down there so you are saying the Klischorns would be better?

Hi Michael,

Very nice system!

I have a pair of rf-83's that are hooked up to an emotive xpa-3 ,(along with the center). I use a Harman Kardon avr-354 as the preamp,(I tried a UMC-1 , but prefer the HK sound), I could not be happier.

I think it was Forum member Tmassey that said when he hooked an external amp to his 83's , it was like a veil was lifted from them. I agree.

have fun,

Mark

Hey Mustang, I was looking at McIntosh 2Ch amps. Of course not right now as I just bought the 4 THX KW-120s and parasound and my wife will kill me if I started looking already. But I think the first thing is to grab a pair of LaScalas. They will be placed in two corners about 20 ft. from each other and I don’t listen to Rap or hip hop. Mostly classical, blues, instrumental and rock. Don’t want to put a Sub down there so you are saying the Klischorns would be better?

For pure 2 channel listening in a Klipschorn friendly room, the Klipschorns are better. If the room isn't K-Horn friendly, LaScalas and belle Klipschs are usually used. When the time comes to set up the room, show some pictures and dimensions, and you will get some great help from the people here who have expertise in Klipschorn placement and acoustics. There are many of which I am not one, unfortunately.

Klipschorns cost more and are larger than LaScalas so take that into consideration. Also available are Jubilees. Also expensive, but definitely top shelf!

• Moderators

Okay, Youthman hasn't chimed in yet, I'll give it a go.

Sorry, Wednesdays is my busy day.

Here is my thread I posted after I purchased my Parasound HCA2205a (220 x 5) amp.

With 220 watts x 5, the Parasound adds even more bottom end to the
RF-83's, giving them more authority in the bass region. I used to not
enjoy listening to music in 5.1 or 7ch stereo but with the new amp, it
really brings the surround channels to life. With movies, the surrounds
seem more alive and engaged. At high volumes, the amp has no problems
maintaining the integrity of the source material. The sound never gets
harsh or muddy. Crystal clear no matter what volume. Musical has more
separation of instruments than with the Yamaha alone.

Hope that helps.