Emotiva UMC-1 vs Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Youthman

• Moderators

When I had my Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, I loved it for HT but felt the 2ch was somewhat lacking. In my quest, I narrowed it down between the Emotiva UMC-1 and the Harman Kardon 3600. Now that I've had the Emotiva for quite some time, I'm finding as another member did that I'm not much of a "Tweaker". The EMO-Q doesn't do much for me and I still really have no clue how to manually set the EQ. I would rather run an auto setup, make some very minor adjustments and then sit back and enjoy.

With that said, I've recently begun to wonder how the Harman Kardon AVR 3600 receiver would stack up to the Emotiva UMC-1 for HT and for 2ch. I'm finding them on Ebay between $300 - $400 shipped. I've considered purchasing it, comparing it to the UMC-1 and then keeping the one I like the best.

Just wanted to get some thoughts from my brothers here.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no experience with the 3600 ,but I went from a Harman Kardon 354 to a UMC-1,then back to the Harman Kardon.

I thought the UMC-1 was fine for home theatre but was not so good with music. I tried adjusting the UMC-1 equalizer but could not get the "full" sound the HK provides. EmoQ was not able to replicate it either.

A few things I liked about the Umc were the back panel layout, it was easy to get connections made( I have sausage fingers), the HK' s preouts are very close together,. The UMC seemed to give the surrounds a little more oomph, without turning the levels as high.

I did/do not like the video processing on either, and use optical or hdmi splitters as needed,with the video going directly to my t.v....my 354 is still a little touchy at times with the hdmi handshake,but if I switch inputs on the remote it works itself out relatively quickly.

Bottom line for me was how the music sounded, I way prefer the HK over the Umc in that department.

Hope this helps,

Mark

The UMC was probably a touch nicer for movies,as long as they were not concerts :P

I think I just have grown used to Harman Kardon sound,the coloration,warmth,whatever you wish to call it.

I have kept the UMC , and plan to give it a shot when I get a chance to set up a dedicated theatre room, so I must have thought it was good for movies.

I remember when I first bought the 354 , I had to return it because it could not latch onto a hdmi signal , from reading AVS forums, that was not uncommon. If you have a problem free UMC -1 it may be easier to just keep what you have, as it may not be much of an upgrade.........unless of course you watch concerts:p

• Moderators

Thx BigCliff. Seems like the Marantz and the HK are in the same price point too. When I was doing my research, I found a lot of great reviews on the 3600. I guess I'm beginning to struggle with the "What if" syndrom. [:P]

There is a lot I like about the UMC-1, I'm just more of a plug and play kind of guy. Set it and leave it.

I'm in need of a new AVR for my bedroom since loaning my HK to my father-in-law. All this talk about the Pioneer Elite has me seriously considering one. I love HK but I like to try new things as well just to make sure I'm not missing anything!

• Moderators

I like to try new things as well just to make sure I'm not missing anything!

I think that's where I'm at too. LOL I'm afraid I might be missing out on something better.

I've only owned much older HK's (AVR55, AVR60, AVR70, AVR80 and a Vintage AVR 430). I haven't owned any of their newer units with HDMI or HD Audio Processing.

I've owned a few Onkyo and one Yamaha. Maybe I'm just looking for a change? Or maybe I've been bitten with upgraditis. Darn this forum!!! [:@] [:P] [:D]

There is a lot I like about the UMC-1, I'm just more of a plug and play kind of guy. Set it and leave it.

Why not just get a pre/pro that has the best of both worlds.[;)]

I have owned my NAD T175HD pre/pro for about 10 months and have yet to run the Audyssey MultEQ XT. It sounds that good right out of the box, for music and movies. With that said, I will eventually get around to doing it.[:$] An auction on Audiogon just ended with a starting bid of $999.00 and with no bids. I almost pulled the trigger just to flip it. A $3000.00 pre/pro for less than $1000.00.[Y]

Bill

I asked the wife's opinion about which seemed to be better between the 2 processors. She said we both decided that we liked the HK a bit better than the emo, as the movie soundtracks were richer with HK.

granted, emoq may have missed the mark , and I probably did not have The UMC-1 set up to the best of its abilities , but that was our opinion....not to beat a dead horse.

she also informed me I was going to sell the UMC-1, and get another HK for a theater room.

I must have selective memory when it comes to selling things.

• Moderators

Why not just get a pre/pro that has the best of both worlds.Wink

I'm cheap. LOL If I could find another prepro with HDMI and HD Audio processing for $500, I would consider it. I just have no desire to drop $1000 on a Pre/Pro but that's just me.

Knowing me, I'll let it bug me enough to the point where I'll probably end up buying a 3600 just to ease my curiosity about it. I'm sure that will probably be the only way I will ever know for sure but definitely value the opinions and experience from HK owners.

You cannot go wrong with the HK for $3-400.The only avr that I've owned sounds better is a Rotel or the S/Newcastle 972, but it's got a few quirks, non bother me but.....I picked up an Onkyo 809 for $427 new delivered, it's the most musical Onkyo in many years, and features out the wazoo..All my complaing over the last decade may have resonated ? The 809 is not bright but rather smooth and warm. odd for Onkyo.

• Moderators

Just go for it, I bet the HK sounds better, also you know that little voice in your head is NOT going to leave you alone until you try it. Devil

You know why we all post questions like thid don't you? Because we know we are surrounded by a community of ENABLERS!!! How do I "Unfriend" you guys? [:P]

All my complaing over the last decade may have resonated ? The 809 is not bright but rather smooth and warm. odd for Onkyo.

I always felt most Onkyo gear was dead on neutral. I think that is why many say their receivers are not musical(warmish).

Bill

• Moderators

How do I "Unfriend" you guys? Stick out tongue

That's the easy part, but just try to ignore the voices,[:-*] sometimes they even ignore common sense !

You know you want it.[:P] You know your going to try it, [:D] probably figured that before you even posted, it's OK we know how you feel and how it works. [;)]

Hey after reading this I want one to replace a old Yamaha which works perfectly. [:$]

• Moderators

You know you want it.Stick out tongue You know your going to try it, Big Smile probably figured that before you even posted,

Who me? [:$]

Hey after reading this I want one to replace a old Yamaha which works perfectly

You TOTALLY should buy one. You deserve it! [:D]

• Moderators

You TOTALLY should buy one. You deserve it! Big Smile

I don't know about the deserve part but I should, my old Yamaha does not have HDMI or any BR decoders, [:(] but I'm not going to.

I have another project in line first, a new workshop, 21x30, and it's going to take a while, but I need the space BAD. I have a ton of tools jammed in such a tiny space I have to wheel them out to do any woodworking, or anything really.

But I do hear the voices also. [:S]

If I were you I would order now. [:P]