Emotiva UMC-1 vs Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Youthman

• Moderators

Who me? Embarrassed

Yep you, you should have some little frames with wheels as many different models you have moved around in the last couple of years, you get a workout just from moving speakers. [:D]

Ok I don't blame you one bit,[Y] the problem i have is I only move them in and never out, can't seem to part with any, so i am at my limit with speakers.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the 3600 you will love it. My son recently purchased a Pioneer Elite VSX-51 and the HK is a better unit all round. He only bought the Pioneer because of the price and could not afford the 3600 at that time.

Well that kind of throws a monkey wrench in my thought process on the Pioneer Elite! Maybe I should just go with old faithful, I know what the HK will sound like...

Edit: After looking up that model of Pioneer Elite, I do not think that it is the new Class D3 amp which is supposed to sound so wonderful. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Moderators

Ok I don't blame you one bit,Yes the problem i have is I only move them in and never out, can't seem to part with any, so i am at my limit with speakers.

I really don't have a problem letting them go. I've owned many Klipsch speakers over the past several years and I'm pretty much on a quest to own most of the Reference speakers so I can hear with my own ears how they sound and yes, if a good deal on some heritage pop up, I might bring them in for a bit and do some more A/B comparisons.

On my list to eventually own are LaScala, RB-81, RB-75, and maybe (but probably unlikely) a pair of Khorns. If I removed my "doors" on the front wall, the Khorns might fit nicely but I would have to make a false corner for them so it's probably unlikely that I will ever go that route unless I remove the false wall altogether. If I did that, I would definitely move up to a larger screen. [:D]

Oh does it ever end?

I always felt most Onkyo gear was dead on neutral. I think that is why many say their receivers are not musical(warmish).

Bill

I completely agree,

I have however learned to adjust and tune as well as carefully match other components to bring an amazing beautiful yet very natural musical quality that I absolutely love. I am extremely pleased with both the music and HT from my Onkyo PR-SC885 processor enough that currently there is nothing else I have even a hint of wanting to replace it.

However if not set up carefully this processor can easily be too accurate and bright which does not work well musically, however set up right the musical results are amazing!

Well that kind of throws a monkey wrench in my thought process on the Pioneer Elite! Maybe I should just go with old faithful, I know what the HK will sound like...

I have been so happy with my Pioneer avr that I don't even think about a separate preamp. You have to hear one for yourself since we all have different taste and rooms. With that said, HK reputation is outstanding for muisc fidelity. If it sounds good with music, you can't go wrong for HT.

• Moderators

Ok I don't blame you one bit,Yes the problem i have is I only move them in and never out, can't seem to part with any, so i am at my limit with speakers.

I really don't have a problem letting them go. I've owned many Klipsch speakers over the past several years and I'm pretty much on a quest to own most of the Reference speakers so I can hear with my own ears how they sound and yes, if a good deal on some heritage pop up, I might bring them in for a bit and do some more A/B comparisons.

On my list to eventually own are LaScala, RB-81, RB-75, and maybe (but probably unlikely) a pair of Khorns. If I removed my "doors" on the front wall, the Khorns might fit nicely but I would have to make a false corner for them so it's probably unlikely that I will ever go that route unless I remove the false wall altogether. If I did that, I would definitely move up to a larger screen. Big Smile

Oh does it ever end?

I don't blame you one bit, especially if you can get a good deal on some, and really Florida has been a really good place to be with all that has come up for sale there in the last few years.

When we were looking for Forte ll's for 5.1 it took me well over a couple of years to find 3 pair and one pair was from the panhandle of Florida, not many pop up around here. We got Heresy's from Indy, Cornwall lll from Hope, MWM's from Georgia and 402/k69 and a EV DX on another trip to Georgia. Not much around here in years, except for one pair of RB-75's new in the box for an unbelievable price of $30, the only set of Reference we have.

And it really never ends, until you run out of room for speakers which we have.

Just kidding you, your doing great, it's fun to be in the position to hear the differences without spending a fortune, consider your self lucky. [;)]

• Moderators

On my list to eventually own are LaScala, RB-81, RB-75, and maybe (but probably unlikely) a pair of Khorns. If I removed my "doors" on the front wall, the Khorns might fit nicely but I would have to make a false corner for them so it's probably unlikely that I will ever go that route unless I remove the false wall altogether

From that list the only models I think you might find surprising compared to yours are the LaScala and Klipschorn, on the LaScala you would probably be shocked by the mids and highs, the bass will probably not impress you compared to what you have but is still tight. With a sub the LaScala's would probably blow you away, I would think.

The khorn has the same mids and highs but properly set up has wall to wall bass that is a different style compared to your direct radiators. It's like the bass is coming from the back and side walls and not the speaker.

The reason we went with the monsters we have is they sounded much better than even the LaScala's (or anything else we had ever heard), my wife made the decision after hearing them the first time, I didn't have to say anything, she said that's what I want. [Y]................................................................ but we don't claim to be normal

You know why we all post questions like thid don't you? Because we know we are surrounded by a community of ENABLERS!!!

WOW, if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is!!!!!!! You've got more posts in the alerts section than anyone else[:P].

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

From that list the only models I think you might find surprising compared to yours are the LaScala and Klipschorn,

The La Scala are on my Klipsch Bucket List of speakers I want to demo in my HT. The RSW-15 should be able to suppliment any lack of bass from them.

Tonight, I was watching this HK AVR3600 and if I had not have recently purchased the CF-4's, I would have bought it. I need to sell something to free up some cash so I can buy it. My electronics fund has been depleted.

• Moderators

I don't blame you one bit, especially if you can get a good deal on some, and really Florida has been a really good place to be with all that has come up for sale there in the last few years.

I believe a lot has to do with how bad the economy is here in Florida, high unemployment rate and many people having to downsize just to pay the bills. It's a great time to buy.

Just kidding you, your doing great, it's fun to be in the position to hear the differences without spending a fortune, consider your self lucky

Yes, I am truly blessed. It's been a blast being able to demo different models in my own setup to see how they stack up against each other. It's a great hobby.

Used/refurb HK's are the best buy in audio quality. I just sold (ebay)my ipod dock that came with my HK, I never used, for almost $100. That means I have about $200 in my 354, came with 2 year warranty like new. I have a standing offer of $300 for it whenever I want to sell it. That is far better than the $1k I used to pay for Denons then sell for $300 a year or two later.

But....I paid $420 for my old umc, sold for $300 but kept the upgrade card selling for $150+.That also was a great buy, you can't go wrong with good gear.

• Moderators

I agree, electronics drop like a rock in value so anytime you can buy them used or refurb, it's a great savings. If you don't hang on to it for too long, you can often break even when you sell it or have very little investment and continue to upgrade down the road by repeating the same process.

I'm just more of a plug and play kind of guy. Set it and leave it.

I agree with that!! Every time I watch movies for some reason it will change settings for 2 channel and it upsets me.......... I have a buddy that bought a HK AVR last spring can't remember the model # but he is checking and I will know later tonight, maybe its the 3600!! best part is he will let me grab it to do some testing with my setup. I am very eager to get my RF7's dialed in for music. I have only heard them off the Yammie RX a1000 so I am really hoping its something exciting and can hear a cleaner HF and more low end from those beautiful copper cones. I am pretty happy with the HT sound just wish I had the RC7's and maybe a more powerful sub.

• Moderators

I've owned several older HK's and a Yamaha RX-V1800. The Yammie was amazing for HT and Ok for 2ch. The HK was amazing for 2ch but at 55w/ch it just ran out of gas at high volumes.

I am really hoping its something exciting and can hear a cleaner HF and more low end from those beautiful copper cones.

The HK's that I have had tend to be heavier in the bass region (which I like). If you really want to experience the RF-7's to their potential, down the road, get a solid 200 w/ch amp and it will add much more depth and clarity (even at low volumes)

Definitely take the opportunity to borrow his HK to see if it's the sound you like. I love the HK's paired with Klipsch. I think that's why I keep wondering how the 3600 sounds...

My memory sucks, turns out its an HKZ 3490,I assume lower end HK? He gave me an older Marantz SR7500 but wont power on......go figure, don't think i won't open it up and see if I can't make it sing again. He said it was twice the HK!!

I would like to try a few different avrs before I pull the trigger. The pre is just as responsible for sound as the amp ? correct? So my m-70 may sound different with a HK ? Was going to sell it but may hold onto it for awhile yet just to see

I really admire your HT room and system youthman...........some day I will build my own. Wife wants a new camper this year so it will have to wait.

I would love to see your HT with a nice pair of Forte ll's, lots of pics as your so good with a camera and a in depth thread of your thoughts. I miss mine dearly and will have another pair sooner than later.

3600 on ebay for $400 and free shipping, may as well pull the trigger!!!!

• Moderators

My memory sucks, turns out its an HKZ 3490,I assume lower end HK?

Not really. It's a $500 2ch stereo receiver with 120 w/ch @ 8ohm, 150 w/ch @ 4ohm. Would be great to use to test out to see if you like the HK sound.

The pre is just as responsible for sound as the amp ? correct?

Technically, the amp "should" not color the sound but we all know amps have different qualities (warm, neutral) etc. Preamps have their own unique sound as well so your m-70 could sound very diferent hooked up to the HK (if it has preouts).

I really admire your HT room and system youthman...........some day I will build my own.

I appreciate the kind words. A lot of do-it-yourself, bartering, and great craigslist finds have helped considerably.

I would love to see your HT with a nice pair of Forte ll's, lots of pics as your so good with a camera and a in depth thread of your thoughts.

I have never owned Forte's before so that might be a possibility if a great deal comes along. Wouldn't mind trying them out.

• Moderators

I love the HK's paired with Klipsch

If you run across a older HK 930, 730. 630 cheap grab it, you will not be sorry. I use a 930 with a pair of Cornwalls and it sounds great.

still can't believe Youthman never ordered that HK, i'm surprised and impressed by the will power [:#]

Well I do like the HK sound. It is more of what I am looking for out of the 7's. Still had to turn the bass up almost all the way and the treble about 2/3rds but it sounded natural and not forced as my yamaha makes them sound if I turn the bass up and I did not hook my sub up. I did use the M70 on it as well and still did not care for that sound at all, but it sounds good with my polks. I would like to try a Marantz now and see how that sounds...... could not get that SR7500 to put any sound out at all. no pop, crackling or static......nothing.

How would a parasound or marantz amp sound compared to the HK I am looking for a warmer sound as opposed to neutral. I feel the yamaha is very neutral or flat sounding not sure how to describe it...... still learning!!

I dont know what the emo pre you have is all about but I am sure your system would sound great with the HK. I know you have a large parasound amp so they must be a warmer sounding amp..... I just would like to have a larger shopping range as I will buy used from ebay or CL I know I want at least 200 watts per ch.Have a great day