New living room setup suggestions

I am getting ready to move out of my apartment and into a house and would like opinions on my layout. I am open to room treatments, most likely DIY types.

My setup currently includes 2 pair of Cornwalls (not matching styles so no stacking for now) and a rsw-12. The sub has been for sale but I have not pushed the sale due to a work heavy holiday schedule. option 1

post-39044-13819827740252_thumb.jpg

I will be adding side tables and other furniture based off of the layout you all help me choose. I do appreciate you guys' ideas. My gut wants me to use option 1 with stacked cornwalls but I do want my living room to look like it belongs to an adult and not a child. If this were a man-cave I would not care about other people's opinion nearly as much. I plan on being here a few years so I want to put this room together right the first time.

Well, the long wall, option 2, is suposed to be best. Get the speakers as far apart as possible for the largest soundstage.

I have to use the short wall, because of a fireplace. [:@] But I've always wondered how much better it would sound using the "recommended" long wall?!?!!!

Keep us posted and congratulations on moving into a House! [<:o)]

Dennie

Move things around until you get the best results. Try different speaker locations and listening locations. I would start with #2 and vary speaker spacing along the wall.Try moving the speakers away from the back wall a foot or so, try different toe-in angles, try tilting the front of the speakers up to aim the horns at the listening position. Go with what sounds the best.

• Moderators

I would say 1 first, 2 if one does not look or sound right. One thing about 2 is you sit on the back wall, not always the best for sound and tough if you ever go into a Ht setup.

Another thing is a TV would probably go on that wall also which would also be visible from the kitchen bar area, including probably better sound there also. The sofa kind of separates the room from the other space as you look that way, I kind of like the appearance of a separate area but without blocking the view and it also kind of frees up the areas by the doors. ? just another opinion

Move things around until you get the best results. Try different speaker locations and listening locations. I would start with #2 and vary speaker spacing along the wall.Try moving the speakers away from the back wall a foot or so, try different toe-in angles, try tilting the front of the speakers up to aim the horns at the listening position. Go with what sounds the best.

I was hoping to avoid the rearrange for testing phase of this move. I am moving in in a week and wanted to order my rug, tv stand/av stand and have it delivered already knowing where It will go. I was really hoping for option 1 to be a recommended layout. Is it impossible to get good imaging at both the sofa(12' from the source) and the kitchen(25' away)? I do plan on upgrading my corns with dave's eliptracs but not for a bit. That will come in time as will a pair of VRD's[H]

I would say 1 first, 2 if one does not look or sound right. One thing about 2 is you sit on the back wall, not always the best for sound and tough if you ever go into a Ht setup.

Another thing is a TV would probably go on that wall also which would also be visible from the kitchen bar area, including probably better sound there also. The sofa kind of separates the room from the other space as you look that way, I kind of like the appearance of a separate area but without blocking the view and it also kind of frees up the areas by the doors. ? just another opinion

With 2 or 3 I was thinking of using a accordian style room divider next to the cornwall closest to the kitchen. It would only be 4-6 feet in length. Also the door leading to the patio is not important because I have a door in that bedroom that also opens to the patio. If I blocked that door I could widen the speakers a bit on option 3 but that would throw off the symmetry because the Tv would net be centered on the wall if I were to keep it centered between the speakers which is a must for me.

i would go with option 1 you can add a bar behind the couch for more seating.

I never thought of that. Excellent idea! Of course I thought of a server table behind the sofa but a long pub style table never crossed my mind. That would eliminate my need for a dining room set too. If I found some higher quality stools it could look pretty decent too. You got my brain gears working now.

This is my approx. room with my LaScalas. The red lines are walls, your patio door would be my front door. the top of the pic goes to the kitchen and then down the hall.

The BEST sound I ever got in my living room, but now with a tv, the living room is reversed left to right. The sound stage was much wider than the speakers.

Bruce

post-7149-13819827833084_thumb.jpg